Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux 2 days post op

How have others experiences of reflux been after surgery? I had no pre existing reflux- it’s started today since beginning on fluids other than water- juice, broth etc. I am so worried this is not going to go away. It is so painful! Anyone have insight they can share?

Did you have sleeve or bypass?

Apparently reflux is VERY common with sleeve patients. This is exactly why I went with bypass. I already had severe acid reflux (GERD) and I couldn't bare making it worse.

There are a lot of times sleeve patients have revisions to bypass due to acid reflux alone.

In addition, are you on any meds for it? I was on a pepcid for the first 3 months post op to cut the stomach acid and to prevent ulcers and allow my stomach to heal properly. I was told I could stop unless I had any acid symptoms and now 7 months post-op and I have ZERO acid related issues and off all meds. I was on 2 prescriptions and still eating tums/rolaids pre-op.

Hey, no pre existing reflux for me. It’s just started today which sucks. I have been given IV antacid and apparently I need to take antacids for 4 weeks. Fingers crossed it eases and disappears. It’s awful!

It is awful! I remember it all too well.

I hope it is short lived or at least meds can rein it in and keep it under control!

Yeh me too. Thanks for your insight and advice. I pray it is short lived. I wonder how others have experienced it after the sleeve 🤔

i had reflux for about 2-3 weeks after surgery and it was some of the worst pain i ever felt. I completely regretted the surgery. but it did eventually go away completely.

Oh you poor thing! It’s the worst! Thankyou for your feedback.. this is what I wanted to know- how many found they had reflux and for how long it lasted.. i really don’t want this to hang around. I am due to be discharged from hospital today and I now the surgeon wants me to take antacid for 4 weeks. Hoping that will be all I’ll need! I’m glad you’re over it. Yep- I felt pretty regretful and low in mood last night fearing this would last forever!

Edited by Nik77

1 hour ago, Nik77 said:

Oh you poor thing! It’s the worst! Thankyou for your feedback.. this is what I wanted to know- how many found they had reflux and for how long it lasted.. i really don’t want this to hang around. I am due to be discharged from hospital today and I now the surgeon wants me to take antacid for 4 weeks. Hoping that will be all I’ll need! I’m glad you’re over it. Yep- I felt pretty regretful and low in mood last night fearing this would last forever!

I was also prescribed a PPI proton pump inhibitor for 30 days after surgery. It was called pantoprazole. I would ask your surgeon about it. It helps slow down the production of acid. The antacids neutralize the acid already there.

Don’t panic yet & think you’ll always have reflux now. Your tummy is in shock after your surgery. Your digestive system is working differently & your body has to come to terms with that. Plus you’re still producing the same amount of stomach acid you did with your larger pre surgery tummy. And your eating way less food & less dense food that doesn’t need as much acid to digest it. So where does that acid go? Up. Most people are prescribed a PPI to counteract this excess acid for the first couple of months only & until everything settles & heals. If you weren’t prescribed one, contact your surgeon & ask for a script. Over the counter meds often aren’t strong enough in the beginning but might help some while waiting to get your script.

Thanks for this advice.. I had a good talk with surgeon today and he said the same thing. He has prescribed me with pantoprazole for a month.

I did not get reflux, but my doctor has me taking the anti-acid pill for 30 days, sleeping with a wedge pillow (approx 30% lift) and I can not eat/drink within 3 hours of bed time.

Hi , I had a sleeve and hernia repair at the same time .The repair was meant to be the end of reflux , however it is back with a vengeance .I had to go to the hospital the pain grew so bad .Tonight it was unbearable again and I am back on Esomeperazole - I should have known it wouldn't cure it .Apparently it is the curse of the sleeve .Oh well , at least I can now walk freely now and I am very grateful for that ! good luck x

Oh I am so sorry you’re having this experience! I’m glad you have more benefits than cons from having op though. I hear reflux is manageable with the right intervention. So far I’m now at day 10 post op- after about 2-3 days my reflux disappeared. I didn’t need the hernia repair thankfully. I think I was just reacting to the initial surgery and taking in liquids again.. I still have another 2.5 weeks of the pantoprazole meds t on hell with staple healing and hoping after that the reflux stays at bay. I really hope you glean get the reflux under control. Good luck!