Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My tips and why I Don't recommend Sleeve surgery for long term

Iv'e had BOTh the ruen-y bypass surgery that was successful FOR over 10 years, after having a baby, gaining weight back and having Vitamin deficiency issues I had a revision to a gastric sleeve. The sleeve has been a joke, there is no stopping me from over eating sweets or fried foods, I was sick when I ate those things with a ruen-y. I had an upper gi last week (I am 7 years post op of revision) Dr says my stomach looks like any other non surgery stomach he sees. So much for my surgery dr saying stomachs dont stretch.

1.Ruen-y is more evasive but it keeps you from eating sweets/fried foods without becoming so ill you have to lay down for 2 hours. (not dangerous, just very uncomfortable)

2.If you have weight loss surgery be SURE to have Lipo suction after you've lost most of y our weight. Once you grow a fat cell you NEVER loose it unless you have it removed by having lipo suction or cool sculpting. A fat cell will lay flattened until you have extra calories that need stored then they pop right up. Get rid of them b&&*$ right away, you can still grow more cells if you over eat but it takes time to grow them new, old cells are like little saboteurs waiting to fill up again.

3. If you don't like aerobic activity try chill-aerobics. Sit somewhere cold.. shiver and ur body burns fat. 15 min. of shivering equals 30min,. of aerobic activity. Your body will burn fat to try and warm you up. (it's actually opposite in a polar bears body)

never really heard of people going from bypass to a sleeve revision. dont really get how that works because a sleeve is basically getting rid of 85% of your stomach and giving you a sleeve. Bypass is even more restrictive with a smaller pouch but the other part of the stomach remains. So they just removed that other part of the stomach i am guessing?

Yeah, usually it's a revision from sleeve to bypass. I've never heard of a bypass to sleeve revision. How does that work?

I have never heard of bypass to sleeve. Would be great for you to tell us more. I would think that would be difficult to do considering the anatomy of both surgeries.

Committing to changing your lifestyle and dealing with the underlying issues with food is hard work.

you can out eat any surgery! Gastric sleeve, d/s, bypass etc are all just tools to help you be able to better control your consumption of calories . Personally, my issues with food brought me to this weight and will bring me back to it if I do not continue to work on and control my food issues. I have seen a few people I know eat themselves obese again after bypass. (One with bypass resumed her constant Dr Pepper drinking two weeks in because she “couldn’t live” without several cans a day. Surprise surprise she didn’t loose as much as she thought and is creeping back). Sleeve does work well for a majority of people, especially those who make the changes.

I hope you are finding a path to achieve what you want.

Not to be "that guy" but the procedure is called a Roux-En-Y

2 hours ago, KimA-GA said:

you can out eat any surgery! Gastric sleeve, d/s, bypass etc are all just tools to help you be able to better control your consumption of calories . Personally, my issues with food brought me to this weight and will bring me back to it if I do not continue to work on and control my food issues. I have seen a few people I know eat themselves obese again after bypass. (One with bypass resumed her constant Dr Pepper drinking two weeks in because she “couldn’t live” without several cans a day. Surprise surprise she didn’t loose as much as she thought and is creeping back). Sleeve does work well for a majority of people, especially those who make the changes.

I think sometimes it's easy to forget that the surgery is a *tool*, not a substitute for self-control. The most important weight loss tool any of us have is between our ears.

48 minutes ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

Not to be "that guy" but the procedure is called a Roux-En-Y

Who are you telling? We know that's the official name for the bypass.

A bypass is usually revised to a sleeve if the bypass fails: weight gain, unmanageable Vitamin malabsorption issues, excessive dumping complications,... Much like a sleeve can be revised to bypass because of weight gain, GERD, etc,

As others have said, any weight loss surgery can fail if you don't make permanent changes to how, what & why you eat. Post surgical benefits like loss of appetite & your restriction don’t last. They should help you to kick start your weight loss & give you time to assess your eating & establish new eating habits. Sounds like you relied on the side effects of your bypass to influence what you ate. I’d expect your bypass would have failed sooner if you didn’t experience dumping (50-60% don’t with bypass).

You mentioned your tummy has stretched. It does because it is a muscle & stretches & contracts. Can’t believe any doctor would say it can’t. Consistently eating larger portions will cause it to stretch more & contract less. But is your tummy as large as it was before you had either surgery or about the size of someone who never had a weight issue?

The success you have with either surgery is dependent upon you, with consideration of any complications you may have of course.

We all have our reasons for choosing the surgery we did & the effort we put in to make changes are reflected in the success we have or didn’t have. Excluding the life changes that can sometimes sabotage our intentions. I chose sleeve because of the lower risk of malabsorption & dumping. I lost all my weight & more.

I don’t eat like friends & family who carry weight. I don’t eat exactly like friends & family who never carried weight either. I have to work a little harder & listen more carefully to my body (what it needs, how it reacts, etc.) because it’s easier for me to gain weight.

I’m sorry you are unhappy with your revision.

It's unusual to go that direction, but sometimes necessary if the RNY needs to be reversed - something needs to be done to help keep the weight off, though what I have seen done more (though much more complex) is going beyond a sleeve to the DS. Both the sleeve and RNY are similar metabolically, so one doesn't usually work much better than the other if weight regain was the problem.

What the OP seems to be referring to in her dissatisfaction is the matter that dumping is rare with the sleeve based procedures but more common with the pouch type procedures such as the RNY, and some surgeons use that as a marketing point for the RNY - a form of aversion therapy. Unfortunately, dumping is not universal with the RNY (maybe 30% or so) so it's nothing to depend on as a weight maintenance tool - those who need it most will likely not dump; it sounds like the OP was one of the "lucky" ones who did.

Perhaps the OP should look into a DS, as that is fairly straightforward to do once the sleeve is done, and most any good DS surgeon should be able to put her sleeve right - it doesn't sound like it was done right in the first place. While a straightforward procedure, the sleeve does take practice to get consistently right, particularly if the surgeon is having to reconstruct the stomach first as with such a revision.

9 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

At least one person in this thread thinks it's called a Ruen-Y, and sometimes people Google things they see on these pages because they'd rather do that than ask and seem like a newbie, so I wanted to make sure the proper spelling appeared further downthread. I'm glad you (and many of the rest of us) know that.

I've heard of RNY to DS (which has a sleeved stomach and a (mostly) bypassed small intestine), but not an RNY to just a plain sleeve. Interesting...

Confused like the others. So they reversed the bypass and made a sleeve? I have read about it but it is difficult and rare. I'm surprised they didn't do a DS or even a TORe revision which are more effective and more common for RNY revisions.

Whoever said the pouch or stomach (stoma and even the intestines, for that matter)don't stretch is wrong because they absolutely do if you constantly overeat.

I have a RNY, and I can eat fried foods, junk food without getting sick at all. Not everyone dumps so one can't rely on getting sick if they don't stick to plan.

13 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

look at her post.

19 hours ago, KimA-GA said:

you can out eat any surgery!

This 100%. End of story.

@strawberryga Sorry you had such a tough road. To me it sounds like the real issue was not the surgery, but frankly that you were/are not mentally ready to move away from your poor eating habits and find a healthier path.

I might suggest therapy to address why you felt the need to eat things you know you should not be eating. Expecting WLS to fix the space between your ears will never work.

Sorry for the bluntness, but it feels to me like you need some tough love at this point. I do hope you find the help you need.