Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone take Latuda pre-surgery and then were able to keep taking in post-surgery? Latuda has an instruction on it to "take with a meal of at least 350 calories". I've been taking 40g of Latuda, but I never get 350 calories in one sitting, I can't eat that much food! I'm also in the last phase before "normal" foods now - my clinic calls it "Easy to chew foods". I wondered if anyone changed from Latuda to something else or was able to take smaller doses of Latuda with smaller amounts of food for it to be just as effective. I don't feel like its not working, but maybe I just can't tell.

You may still be able to tolerate it with less food but the 350 calories is for it to absorb properly. So your body may be getting like 20 or 30 out of those 40mg. I’m just making up numbers but it’s probably getting something less than the whole dose. You could be fine on the lower dose, though. I was on Latuda pre surgery and I switched to Vraylar because I was concerned about the absorption but if you feel fine I don’t think I would worry too much about it. You will be taking in more calories soon anyways.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:53 PM, ShoppGirl said:

You may still be able to tolerate it with less food but the 350 calories is for it to absorb properly. So your body may be getting like 20 or 30 out of those 40mg. I’m just making up numbers but it’s probably getting something less than the whole dose. You could be fine on the lower dose, though. I was on Latuda pre surgery and I switched to Vraylar because I was concerned about the absorption but if you feel fine I don’t think I would worry too much about it. You will be taking in more calories soon anyways.

Thank you! I feel fine so far, yeah and I will take in more calories in a few months.

3 hours ago, MissMerryberry said:

Thank you! I feel fine so far, yeah and I will take in more calories in a few months.

I actually thought you would be up to 350 calorie meal sooner than that. Does your team have you restricted on calories. I was just given amounts of food to have which if I was eating Protein restricted my calories but by the time I got to regular food I could have eaten 350 calories at one of my meals if I tried. I personally have a shake for Breakfast, a low calorie lunch and a higher calorie dinner so I would have taken it with dinner and made sure to add in something to get closer to the 350 if I had stayed on it. Of course if that puts you over calories for your teams plan then talk to your doctors first.

15 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I actually thought you would be up to 350 calorie meal sooner than that. Does your team have you restricted on calories. I was just given amounts of food to have which if I was eating Protein restricted my calories but by the time I got to regular food I could have eaten 350 calories at one of my meals if I tried. I personally have a shake for Breakfast, a low calorie lunch and a higher calorie dinner so I would have taken it with dinner and made sure to add in something to get closer to the 350 if I had stayed on it. Of course if that puts you over calories for your teams plan then talk to your doctors first.

Hi!

Thanks ShoppGirl :)

I don't have a calorie restriction. I have amounts I can eat, which is now 1/4c to 1/2c of high Protein depending on the food and how my body responds. I have to be able to cut whatever I want to eat with a fork, if it has to be cut with a knife I'm still not allowed to have it. Plus staying away from things that are too dry (like crackers) and pasta/rice.

When I look at what I eat, like 1/2 a Chobani with 5 blueberries for breakfast, 1/2c of refried Beans w/cheese and taco sauce for lunch, and 1/4c-ish of canned chicken mashed with mayo or like 1-2 ozs of pot roast - I'm not getting 350 calories from any of those. I also have Protein Drinks, milk, protein Water, etc and those aren't 350 calories either.

I talked to my psychiatrist again and my regular doctor yesterday and both said that it'll just lower the efficacy, but if I'm feeling fine, then we don't need to change anything - and I'm feeling fine, if anything I'm more anxious, but that's because of all the life changes, so I totally get that, Latuda doesn't help with anxiety anyway.

I am trying to think of things to add more calories to one of my meals and take my Latuda then, but it can't be more volume and it has to be high protein, gotta get the nutrition that I can!

36 minutes ago, MissMerryberry said:

Hi!

Thanks ShoppGirl :)

I don't have a calorie restriction. I have amounts I can eat, which is now 1/4c to 1/2c of high Protein depending on the food and how my body responds. I have to be able to cut whatever I want to eat with a fork, if it has to be cut with a knife I'm still not allowed to have it. Plus staying away from things that are too dry (like crackers) and pasta/rice.

When I look at what I eat, like 1/2 a Chobani with 5 blueberries for Breakfast, 1/2c of refried Beans w/cheese and taco sauce for lunch, and 1/4c-ish of canned chicken mashed with mayo or like 1-2 ozs of pot roast - I'm not getting 350 calories from any of those. I also have Protein Drinks, milk, Protein Water, etc and those aren't 350 calories either.

I talked to my psychiatrist again and my regular doctor yesterday and both said that it'll just lower the efficacy, but if I'm feeling fine, then we don't need to change anything - and I'm feeling fine, if anything I'm more anxious, but that's because of all the life changes, so I totally get that, Latuda doesn't help with anxiety anyway.

I am trying to think of things to add more calories to one of my meals and take my Latuda then, but it can't be more volume and it has to be high protein, gotta get the nutrition that I can!

Could add a few tablespoons of hummus maybe. I would say avocado to just add calories but not a lot of protein there. I’m not home or I would just look at the container but according to google four tablespoons has 5 grams of protein and that 106 calories. 1/4 avocado is 80 calories and 1 gram protein according to FatSecret.com.

Edited by ShoppGirl

14 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Could add a few tablespoons of hummus maybe. I would say avocado to just add calories but not a lot of Protein there. I’m not home or I would just look at the container but according to google four tablespoons has 5 grams of protein and that 106 calories. 1/4 avocado is 80 calories and 1 gram protein according to FatSecret.com.

Ooh those are good ideas. I do have hummus and I'm going to get an avocado. I know I could have had hummus sooner, but without something to put it on I hadn't bought it yet, now I can peel and slice up cucumber! So if I have some hummus & cucumber with my other protein I can boost up the calories, that's great, thank you!

Did anyone take Latuda pre-surgery and then were able to keep taking in post-surgery? Latuda has an instruction on it to "take with a meal of at least 350 calories". I've been taking 40g of Latuda, but I never get 350 calories in one sitting, I can't eat that much food! I'm also in the last phase before "normal" foods now - my clinic calls it "Easy to chew foods". I wondered if anyone changed from Latuda to something else or was able to take smaller doses of Latuda with smaller amounts of food for it to be just as effective. I don't feel like its not working, but maybe I just can't tell.

Hello! Fellow latuda taker here. I was actually told to switch my medication to something else until I could eat larger amounts again. My surgeon told me the 400 cal requirement just wouldn't be possible in the post operative diet phases. And he wasn't wrong. I could only eat about 200 cals at a time.

My psychiatrist put me on abilify but then we changed it last minute back to Latuda. I discovered that eating fattier foods helped me absorb it better so instead I would eat a purred high fat food like full fat yogurt and a piece of soft cheese then take my pill. It did the trick and I stayed very stable throughout the diet phases.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Hello! Fellow latuda taker here. I was actually told to switch my medication to something else until I could eat larger amounts again. My surgeon told me the 400 cal requirement just wouldn't be possible in the post operative diet phases. And he wasn't wrong. I could only eat about 200 cals at a time.

My psychiatrist put me on abilify but then we changed it last minute back to Latuda. I discovered that eating fattier foods helped me absorb it better so instead I would eat a purred high fat food like full fat yogurt and a piece of soft cheese then take my pill. It did the trick and I stayed very stable throughout the diet phases.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for sharing! My doc told me to take it with what food I can and if I start feeling like its not working, then we'll make a change. So far I'm doing okay, I also eat regular greek yogurt in the morning when I take it, so that's probably helping. In the beginning, before Latuda, we tried Abilify and my body does not like it!