Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose skin is something that many/most will have to deal with post op in one way or another.

I know there is a point that surgical removal of loose skin is the only way to deal with it. But what can you do pre and post surgery, if anything, that can help minimize the excess skin issues???

Exercise wouldn't hurt but it will not "solve" the problem. It is inevitable.

I still want to loose about 60-80 lbs and look like I have 2 sets of boobs now. If I could pull that skin up and tuck it in my bra I would be good as gold. HAHAHA 😂😂😂

Nope... Not really. A part of life with this surgery. I am not planning on getting any kind of Tummy Tuck or anything.

The older and/or larger you are/were the more excess skin will be an issue.

As we age our skin starts losing it's ability to repair itself. Likewise, the heavier we are/were the more our skin has stretched out leaving a bunch on inelastic skin. Women have the additional skin stress of carrying babies. All of these stresses take their toll that make shrinking it all back in naturally rather unlikely.

There really are no products that can help your skin recover in spite of the promises. It's probably time to use that magical potion that has been passed down through the generations from mother to daughter or father to son for use "as a last resort when the need is great" with vague warnings of a "price." The evil spirits that will infest your life are a small price to pay for no extra skin.

When it comes time to consider surgical options most insurance tries to call it "cosmetic" and refuse to help. The word to keep in mind is "reconstructive" for which insurance will pay. Document yeast infections, rashes, back pain, anything you can come up with. Even then it is an uphill battle.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

3 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

Exercise wouldn't hurt but it will not "solve" the problem. It is inevitable.

I still want to loose about 60-80 lbs and look like I have 2 sets of boobs now. If I could pull that skin up and tuck it in my bra I would be good as gold. HAHAHA 😂😂😂

You are doing great! Keep it up!

You can’t stop it or reduce it. It’s a bit of a luck of the draw as to how much lose skin you will have. Age, gender, how much weight you carried, how long you carried the excess weight, genetics, all okay a part. I often compare skin with a hair band that gets stretched out over time & use. Can’t save that hair band by unstretching it. Same with your skin. The only way to get rid of your lose skin is to remove it with surgery.

Personally I decided against surgery. I don’t have a lot of loose skin & it can be hidden easily under clothes without need of shape wear & that’s under body con dresses too. So not really worth the surgery. Sure I have some tuck shop lady arms/bat wings but no one knows unless I wave my arms out & about. My arms are pretty toned just from doing a couple of basic resistant band stretches. I even got complimented on my arms today while trying on a one shouldered top so …. Did make me giggle to myself.

You simply can't escape at least some scars after getting your body to that stage of excess weight, and having loose skin is one of those scars. Your body had to make that excess skin over years, and it can't just retract like a rubber band, unfortunately. Factors like age and how much weight you've lost will inform how much you have, but the best thing people can do is make peace with it, especially if, like myself, they'll never be able to afford plastic surgery to get rid of it.

You can help support your skin with Vitamin intake, hydration and creams, but honestly, that won't stop it from happening. I do those things to keep my skin as healthy as possible, but I'm under no illusions that it's ever going to spring back. I did this to myself, so I accept that there's a price.

The upside: loose skin is easily hidden with clothes and that's waaaaay easier when you don't feel the heat as badly as you once did!