Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Length of time on PPI or other antiacid

I've been on Pantoprazole for over a year now. I'd like to get off of it. I'll mention it to my surgeon next visit. I was wondering what all of you have experienced. Did you have to take a PPI? How long did your surgeon keep you on PPI after RNY? What type of PPI are you on? Are any of you on famotidine or another antiacid instead? Have any of you switched from a PPI to H2 or OTC chews or ? Thanks so much!

I'm on Pantoprazole also. I'm almost six weeks post op revision, and I have to only take it for three months and then I can discontinue it. I don't want to continue on a PPI any longer than I have to due to their side effects.

Hi, I'm almost 4 months post op, and I was prescribed Pantoprazole for 90 days post RNY. I was told I wouldn't need it after 3 months...and as of this time I haven't. I took OTC meds for reflux for many years prior to RNY, and I'm grateful the need for these meds seems to be a thing of the past. However, I do keep TUMS on hand just in case.

I had to take it for a year, but I had surgery seven years ago before all the bad news came out about PPIs. I think our clinic just keeps them on for six months now, unless they need it longer (it's OK for the short term, but taking it long term has risks. Of course, for people who have really bad reflux or other serious conditions, its benefits outweigh the risks).

H2 drugs also have issues (although again, if you have severe GERD, the drug benefits outweigh the risks). Famotodine (Pepcid) is still considered safe. My reflux was completely gone for 3-4 years after RNY. It's back now, but it's much milder and only occasional. When I get it, I usually take Famotodine and/or a magnesium-based chewable tablet (I used to take calcium-based tablets like Tums, but my endocrinologist doesn't want me overdoing it on Calcium, so I switched to a magnesium-based one)

6 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

H2 drugs also have issues (although again, if you have severe GERD, the drug benefits outweigh the risks). Famotodine (Pepcid) is still considered safe. My reflux was completely gone for 3-4 years after RNY. It's back now, but it's much milder and only occasional. When I get it, I usually take Famotodine and/or a magnesium-based chewable tablet (I used to take calcium-based tablets like Tums, but my endocrinologist doesn't want me overdoing it on Calcium, so I switched to a magnesium-based one)

This will be very helpful in the future if and when I need a little protection once I am off Pantoprazole. Thank you!

Thank you all so much for replying and those that will reply in the future.

22 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

Your reflux is back?!?! I'm sorry to hear this! What does your surgeon say about it returning? I guess the positive side is that it's not everyday and not severe.

24 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

17 minutes ago, Tomo said:

This will be very helpful in the future if and when I need a little protection once I am off Pantoprazole. Thank you!

I agree with @Tomo. Thank you, @catwoman7

i was on omeprazole for a year or so. After surgery i was taken off that and put on Pantoprazole 40mg for 30 days. (EDIT: Oops you are bypass, i was sleeve)

Edited by liveaboard15

3 hours ago, I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡ said:

Your reflux is back?!?! I'm sorry to hear this! What does your surgeon say about it returning? I guess the positive side is that it's not everyday and not severe.

No hehe. Not back. My surgeon puts his patients on a PPI for a year after any WLS surgery.

Wow, I guess because my RNY was to fix GERD my Surgon told me to take a PPI for the rest of my life. I was on pantoprazole for 4 years now I’m on omeprazole.

I had severe GERD post op, was on famotidine, omeprazole and still needed OTC antacids like tums or rolaids.

After surgery I had to crush all pills or have a liquid form. At the hospital they were only giving me the famotidine crushed up.

When I got home I I never restarted the omeprazole because (much to my surprise) I wasn't having symptoms so I rolled with it. At my 1 week follow up he said I had to stay on the famotidine for 2 months regardless of symptoms because it helps reduce acids and help the stomach heal.

So, at my 2 month follow up he asked me if I was having any symptoms of GERD/reflux. I wasn't (SUPER EXCITING for me because before surgery mine was horrible) so he said I can stop all reflux /antacid meds as long as my PCP was ok with it because he was technically the prescribing doctor.

Anyway, I am stubborn and didn't even ask I just stopped them. 5 months later still no GERD/reflux at all. YAY YAY CELEBRATE!

It is wonderful!

I had sleeve so maybe that’s why but I was not put on any preventative PPI for any period of time. I still don’t need anything at almost a year and a half out.

I am almost a year out and am still taking both omeprazole and Pepcid every day...the acid reflux comes back every time I stop, and considering that acid reflux literally almost killed me back in November...I'm not playing around with it. Even though I know the PPI isn't great for me, I'm still taking it (under my doctor's supervision).