Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks after surgery

I’m two weeks out, and I have a couple of questions.

1. When will I start feeling full? I don’t feel full when I eat (granted I’m only on purees).

2. I have sharp pain if I have to bend over or when I sit down. It’s always in the same spot. I didn’t have this pain during the first week. Is this normal?

I get that sharp pain too 4 days in .I am still on liquids and don't feel full even when I've had a Protein Shake .Confusing isn't it ?

I honestly don’t know about the pain. I had very little post op so I can’t say but i can tell you that liquids go right through you plus you had alot of nerves cut that take time to regenerate. Many people do not start to feel restriction until they get to more solid foods. The best thing to do is to measure out your food and just eat what you are expected to at each stage.

38 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I honestly don’t know about the pain. I had very little post op so I can’t say but i can tell you that liquids go right through you plus you had alot of nerves cut that take time to regenerate. Many people do not start to feel restriction until they get to more solid foods. The best thing to do is to measure out your food and just eat what you are expected to at each stage.

^^^^ I second everything that she said.

I am three weeks out and have noticed that initially, my fullness came as hiccups. My doctor explained that hunger and fullness would initially appear in different ways in your body. So long as you are feeding your body, you will be fine. After surgery, your stomach will be stiff. It was cut down, so as it heals, it will be stiff. When your stomach starts to grumble, it creates stomach pains from gas. I am having this difficulty now. Gas-X remains my friend for times such as these. But, remember, don't eat to be full. Eat to be satisfied, an adjustment that will take some time to get used to. Be patient with yourself, and you will get there.

I’m 4 weeks post-op now but around the second week I also had pains when I bent over or sat straight up, always at the same spot. I couldn’t sit at a table for too long because of it. My surgeon prescribed me a muscle relaxer, which helped, and it eventually subsided. I tried to make sure I was sitting up every now and then but mainly sat in a recliner so I could lean back a bit and relieve the pressure.

On 8/22/2022 at 1:47 PM, Jen1344 said:

I’m two weeks out, and I have a couple of questions.

1. When will I start feeling full? I don’t feel full when I eat (granted I’m only on purees).

2. I have sharp pain if I have to bend over or when I sit down. It’s always in the same spot. I didn’t have this pain during the first week. Is this normal?

Something they didn't tell me (but they said they did tell me): about 10-14 days post-op you might feel intense pain on your left side. Like a pulling, twinging, sharp pain that gets worse when you bend over or try to sit or even move the wrong way. Totally different pain that the post-op pain. Apparently this is caused because all the swelling is gone and your stomach/intestines are no longer "cushioned" within that swelling so they move around a bit more and the internal stitches/incisions are moving around. Nothing to be worried about and completely normal (according to my office). But holy cats was it scary!!!! I thought FOR SURE something was wrong.

You will feel full when you start on "real" food. When you do be careful and start slow or you will be throwing up.