Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Steroids Before Bypass Surgery

I have been on Steroid threrapy for almost a year and my suregry is coming up really soon has anyone else had this situation they are wening me off by cutting dosage day by day in three day intrevals I guess I want to know will this interfere with me having surgery once my suregry date is here I will be on 5mgs any thoughts or wisdom is greatly apreciated.

2 minutes ago, RosesForDays63 said:

I have been on Steroid threrapy for almost a year and my suregry is coming up really soon has anyone else had this situation they are wening me off by cutting dosage day by day in three day intrevals I guess I want to know will this interfere with me having surgery once my suregry date is here I will be on 5mgs any thoughts or wisdom is greatly apreciated.

You should discuss this with your surgeon.

I know people hate that answer, but it is a medical question that really only he/she can answer.

I agree with @kcusker83 - you should talk to your surgeon.

Mine went over my meds with me at the pre-op appointment when we scheduled my surgery and gave me a timeline of what I needed to discontinue and then I had a call a few days before where they confirmed what I was taking and when I had stopped certain medication and Vitamins.

Once upon a time, I was on long term, moderate to high dose, daily steroid therapy. I even had to have an open surgery while taking moderate doses of steroids. I will spare everyone the long, drawn out details, lol.

But if you plan on being down to 5 mg, you shouldn't have these issues. I haven't been on steroids for years, but prior to deciding on revision to bypass, I was on Celebrex for years. When I decided to move forward with revision, I stopped Celebrex and gave myself several months to make sure I could function without them, because I knew I would have to stop them since they're a very strong NSAID.

And I agree with the others, this is something you need to have a very, very detailed discussion with your surgeon about, and do it as soon as possible and don't wait until the day of surgery.

But my question to you is, after your bypass surgery, will you continue steroid therapy or is your doctor planning to wean you off of them for good? They're know to cause ulcers post gastric bypass, along with inhibiting weight loss, and my surgeon said absolutely no oral NSAIDs after surgery, so if I ever do need them it will have to be very infrequently and by injection only.

Best wishes!

There seems to be some confusion in this thread and it's not clear from the original poster, what's meant by "Steroids". There are 4 things I suppose you might mean, so we should probably clear that up:

1. Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Since the OP is female, I doubt you are on this, as it's typically prescribed for older males with low testosterone.
  2. Anabolic Steroids: I also doubt the OP means this as these are highly controlled drugs and only prescribed in very limited circumstances. That said, a lot of bodybuilders abuse these. (Ever hear of "Roid Rage"?)
  3. Corticosteroids: These are commonly used medications typically prescribed for inflammation. The most common oral example would be prednisone. It would be rare (but not unheard of), to be on this long term as the side effects can be worse than the inflammation it purports to treat.
  4. NON-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories: As the name implies, these are NOT steroids, or even related to steroids. They got this name because they were originally developed as an alternative to corticosteroids. Common examples include the over the counter medications ibuprofen (Advil) and Naproxen (Aleve), as well as the prescription drugs meloxicam (Mobic) and Celecoxib (Celebrex). Typically this is a class of medications that doctors like you to be off of for bariatric surgery because they can cause stomach ulcers.

I'm assuming the OP meant one of the latter two, but don't know for sure?

My money is on corticosteroids.

OP is female, so that rules out TRT and almost with absolute certainty rules out anabolics, due to OP attempting to lose weight. And you don't have to wean off of NSAIDs.