Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else been given a script for injections of blood thinners for blood clots? Just had my 2 week appointment before my surgery and she said I need to give myself injections to help reduce the risks for blood clots postop and I am freaked out. I hate needles and now I have to stick myself for a month. My daughter already said no way in hell is she doing it for me.(she has a needle phobia too)

You really need to talk to the prescriber. At the very least, they should help you learn how to properly give a shot, and may also be able to do them for you if you really just can't get over the phobia.

Please don't skip the shots. Blood clots can be fatal.

I have been given an Rx for blood thinners as well.

I picked up my pre-surgical shot to start Monday, and they will give me blood thinner in the hospital and I will get an extra to go home (the number of days and dosage I will get when they give me the script… every person is different).

The needle is thin and the shot is subcutaneous in the belly (different spot every injection).

I was warned it will likely bruise and the meds sting according to some people - other than that it is supposivly no biggie. I’m not a fan of giving myself shots, but I do take Ozempic shots weekly. They are small thin needles as well.

Here is a link my program gave me that might help. Your Rx may be slightly different if it’s a different brand - but watching this took some of the anxiety out of it for me.

https://www.lovenox.com/patient-self-injection-video

Hope this helps!

I agree with the advice above… check in with your provider - and your pharmacist when you pick your shots up on instructions. That video is JUST so you can see the needle and get a general idea - your instructions may be different. 

They gave me shots while in hospital for 24hrs (don’t think it continued fora second day) & that was it. But others on this forum have shared they had to give themselves injections for a couple of weeks. It may depend on your general health status & history, mobility, etc.

I found the injections themselves didn’t really hurt but the bruises in the various sites were tender.

If you are concerned about injecting yourself (I would be too) ask if there is an alternative med. Though that may depend upon you’re able or allowed to swallow meds in the first week or two after surgery.

Edited by Arabesque

Yep, I was on them 7 days post-op. The needles are tiny, like super tiny. And they generally come in preloaded syringes. So you just squeeze your lower belly, stab, and inject. If done properly it is very fast and relatively painless, though they do tend to bruise.

Your surgeon's office should be able to teach you how to do it, and there are a ton of youtube videos available as well. It really is not that bad, I promise. The first one is the worst just because of the nerves, after that its really not a big deal.

Agree with others, discuss with your provider for sure, but DON'T skip them. Post-op blood clots are a risk and the medication will ensure that doesn't happen.

I have had to do this several times. I had to do it preop and maybe postop. I watched youtube videos also. You could go to your surgeon's office and get them to do your first shot to show you how. The coumadin clinic at my cardiologist office give me the instructions on the schedule to administer it. My instructions from the pharmacy just said every 12 hrs.

I can't recall if I had to do it for 14 or 28 days post opp and I hated it. It's not the worst, but it does sting and I did not enjoy doing it 2x a day. But it is very important for preventing clots and depending on how heavy you are to start it can be a serious risk, so I did it faithfully and celebrated when my last shot was done.

I am told the same because I threw a pulmonary embolus after having my 2nd knee replaced in 2016. Ask around you will find someone to stick you.

I just finished my two weeks of these and initially when I was told I totally panicked. I was basically told to stick in the lower belly, I noticed the fattier the area the smoother the needle goes in. The burning sensation isn't fun, but it lasts about 30 min and leaves the area tender. I despise needles so I feel your pain!

On 8/10/2022 at 6:16 PM, Kpwildrose said:

Has anyone else been given a script for injections of blood thinners for blood clots? Just had my 2 week appointment before my surgery and she said I need to give myself injections to help reduce the risks for blood clots postop and I am freaked out. I hate needles and now I have to stick myself for a month. My daughter already said no way in hell is she doing it for me.(she has a needle phobia too)

Yep. Had to do them twice a day for 10 days when I got home. They did them for me when I was in the hospital. They SUCKED. My arms were all kinds of sore and bruised. Hated it.

Yes! I have a phobia of needles and when I found out I had a panic attack and almost backed out of the surgery!!! I think it was supposed to be for something like 28 days, but my doctor allowed it to be for about a week and then switch to pills. It wasn’t his preferred course of action, but the only thing that would work for me, after he consulted with my psychiatrist, my psychiatrist explained I’m fine but deathly afraid of needles. I also needed Klonopin before the IV for my surgery. In the end it all worked out. I went from 226 pounds to 121 pounds and feel wonderful a year and a half later. Don’t let the post surgery injections keep you from the surgery. See if a friend or neighbor can give it to you, or even a home health nurse. My husband gave me mine. I can’t even see needles. Good luck! You’ll make it through!