Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All,

I have the opportunity to get either a BPD/DS or a SADI revision to my original/broken 2002 Lap-Band. I've done a lot of research and I like the statistics of the BPD/DS and that it's the most powerful and successful WLS available today. I did some research into SADI and the early numbers are pretty promising, plus it seems like a slightly safer procedure with potentially less complications - but I dislike that the statistics are just not quite there after roughly 6 years. I'm torn. I'm leaning BPD/DS, but I want to really consider both procedures. FYI my stats are 5"4", 325lb, Age 44 F. I live in the UK. I have reached out to the UK surgeons listed on this page for my DS Revision: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/current-list-of-known-rny-to-ds-surgeons.1403/

So knowing what you know, what would you do in my position - BPD/DS or SADI? I want to hear your opinions, please!! I genuinely see benefits to both surgeries, I have a bias towards the available stats for the BPD/DS though.

I just had a sleeve revision to SADI on July 21. So far so good. I did a lot of research as well and decided that I preferred the simpler less risky option.

20 minutes ago, jenniferann said:

Hello All,

I have the opportunity to get either a BPD/DS or a SADI revision to my original/broken 2002 Lap-Band. I've done a lot of research and I like the statistics of the BPD/DS and that it's the most powerful and successful WLS available today. I did some research into SADI and the early numbers are pretty promising, plus it seems like a slightly safer procedure with potentially less complications - but I dislike that the statistics are just not quite there after roughly 6 years. I'm torn. I'm leaning BPD/DS, but I want to really consider both procedures. FYI my stats are 5"4", 325lb, Age 44 F. I live in the UK. I have reached out to the UK surgeons listed on this page for my DS Revision: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/current-list-of-known-rny-to-ds-surgeons.1403/

So knowing what you know, what would you do in my position - BPD/DS or SADI? I want to hear your opinions, please!! I genuinely see benefits to both surgeries, I have a bias towards the available stats for the BPD/DS though.

Well, you've convinced me! If I ever have a revision surgery I know which one I'm having. You're the best!

Good Luck,

Tek

I chose the Loop DS (virgin surgery not revision) for myself because of what the surgeons themselves were saying about common issues with the original DS (diarrhea). That was the only reason I choose the Loop DS lol. I met my goal weight (even if I'm currently up 6 pounds due to meds I'm taking, but I WAS up 18 pounds and dropped 12 so... I guess I can deal with 6 pounds. I'll lose it eventually. Or try to.). If I had to do it all over again... I would probably do the traditional DS. Simply because you lose a tad bit more weight with the traditional (according to my surgeon. It's supposedly only a tiny bit, but still) and I wonder if I'd picked it if I would have been able to get closer to a 'normal' BMI. I'm still technically 'overweight' but I figure if I ever do skin removal I'll probably lose a good 10-20 pounds of loose skin and even if I'd STILL be 'overweight' at least I'd be in spitting distance of a 'normal' BMI (I have no idea why I'm putting it in quotations...😓 I can't stop myself 😅). Anyway, you go with your gut instincts. The surgery is for you and you're the one who has to live with it so trust in whatever you decide to do.

I had the Loop DS and I am thrilled with my results. Like Novaluna, I did but reach a normal bmi, but I lost 205. I am 5'3" and started at 393. I am 187 right now and my body seems to be happy and I feel great so I just started maintenance. My surgery was July 23, 2020.
I chose my surgery because I was paying out of pocket and my surgeon thought it was the best one for me and he feels it's just about as powerful as the DS but less risk of things like diarrhea.
Definitely go with your gut!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

Well, you've convinced me! If I ever have a revision surgery I know which one I'm having. You're the best!

Good Luck,

Tek

sorry Tek, I thought I was on a DS-only board, didn't realize I posted on a general pre-op board, oops. I did not mean to offend you or anyone else.

3 hours ago, jenniferann said:

sorry Tek, I thought I was on a DS-only board, didn't realize I posted on a general pre-op board, oops. I did not mean to offend you or anyone else.

What makes you think I'm offended?

I was trying to convey that you made some good points for one of the surgeries you are considering and you actually seem to have made up your mind already.

WLS is for life. I would always choose the option that has a better, long enough track record. I might miss out on the newest, bestest surgery ever, but I may also miss out on having a surgery that does longer term damage or longer term lackluster results.

But more important than what the internet (that's me too) may think is the "bestest surgery eva!" is how will the effects of a particular WLS fit in with your needs, lifestyle, health issues and goals. We can't tell you that.

I think you know your mind already.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool