Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm curious about stalls. My weight loss has stalled many times in the 3 months since surgery. I'm curious as to how many stalls everyone had in the first six months post-op?

I think just about everyone has a stall around 3/4 weeks but after that I think it is independent to the person.

Myself, I had one around 3 weeks and haven't had any other stalls yet. I am 4 months post OP.

I lost rapidly during the first two months and then stalled for 3+ weeks during month three, even though I was following the program well. It drove me crazy!

When the stall ended, I lost 8 pounds in two weeks. I've resumed losing at a pretty good rate since then.

i am at 3 months post op and i am in a stall. I actually gained a pound. its annoying but it happens and will happen again

Well I will be seeing my surgeon next week and will speak with her regarding this. I have had 3 stalls with each usually lasting two or more weeks in the 3 months since surgery. Thanks for the info.

I would also monitor how many calories you are eating. It’s important to track your macros, but ultimately weight loss depends on how large your calorie deficit is. It’s easy to meet your Protein, etc goals and be eating too many calories for sustained weight loss.

4 minutes ago, losinglosinglosing said:

I would also monitor how many calories you are eating. It’s important to track your macros, but ultimately weight loss depends on how large your calorie deficit is. It’s easy to meet your Protein, etc goals and be eating too many calories for sustained weight loss.

Yea, I'm great at tracking my calories, Protein, carbs and Water. I usually average under 800 calories per day.

I felt like I had a few minor stalls, but looking back at my charts it was really a pretty steady decline. I weighed myself every day & only added it to my tracker if it went down. A few Lbs up or down is not usually weight gain, its usually just normal fluctuations based on the time of day, fluids, etc. I would keep tracking, focus on whole foods & add walking to your routine- that always helped me.

Edited by HashiHope121

Depends what you call a stall, most surgeons dieticians don't class it as a stall until it's 6 weeks of no movement on the scales or tape measure. But lots of people here think a day or 3 with no movement is a stall and there are lots who gauge it somewhere in between.

I am 6 weeks out and just came out of my 1st stall. It was super frustrating! I would talk to your nutritionist about it too to see what they say. Seems like a lot of stalling to my newbie mind.

2 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

Depends what you call a stall, most surgeons dieticians don't class it as a stall until it's 6 weeks of no movement on the scales or tape measure. But lots of people here think a day or 3 with no movement is a stall and there are lots who gauge it somewhere in between.

Exactly.

I classified a stall a STALL if i didn’t lose (nor gain) any weight AND did not lose any inches for 2 consecutive weeks.

Based on that definition, I had no stalls.

Like another poster mentioned above, i weighed daily, and if i zoom out on that data on a graph, it was pretty much a steady downhill slope. Zooming in would show alot more little peaks and valleys. I’d screenshot and show u, but my MFP mobile app doesn’t let me set custom dates, lol)

6FE42FEF-E2AD-4ED1-9584-FF801D670529.jpeg.8e627d7b070677a635a7130c38837a90.jpeg

My dietician classifies a stall as over two weeks with no movement and no inches lost, of which I have had two since surgery. I'm now in day 5 of no weight loss so I will see if this ends up being a stall. The reason I am so concerned is the amount of pain I am in daily due to health issues that cropped up since surgery and weight loss is probably the only way to help out the situation. (without taking a bunch of pills) Kind of hard to wake up in pain and go to sleep in pain.

I just broke my stall today, started at 3 weeks post op. It lasted for 14 days, gained and lost the same 2 lbs the entire time. My dietitian said its because of my transition from liquid to soft food and now that I'm a month in today I have no food restrictions. She wants me at 900 cal a day and 60/75 g Protein. No limit on carbs. With my stomach restriction I dont see how in the world I'll be able to do that. She said once I start eating more my weight will start to go down again! We've always been taught less is more. Not sure why or how more is going to work but we'll see. Lol

Like others, it depends on how you define "stall". Every month from the start I went 10 days to a couple of weeks without weight loss and then a big drop. I'm still doing that. I don't see it as a stall. My body is just adjusting. For example, if I drank a lot more Water the day before or I had more pickles (salt aka water retention). I love tracking my food too so as long as my calories were low, I know it is just a matter of time. Even people who are bed ridden need over 1000 calories just to survive.

For me, I think I would be far more anxious if I didn't track calories though. Seeing low calories day in and day out gives me comfort so I don't have to worry. It's very calming. Excessive worrying just causes cortisol spikes and weight gain.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

I lost 30 pounds in the first 2 1/2 weeks, then I went into a stall. When I came out of it 2 weeks later, I started losing slowly. I'm now 3 months out and have only lost another 15 pounds, and I am currently in another stall.