Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks Post Op... Some issues?

My surgery was June 29th. My pain has been really good. My energy level is really low. I've lost 19 pounds already. I am trying to keep up on Water intake, etc. I'm still staying with relatively smooth, liquid/purreed foods. I am having a couple of issues though..

1. Right where my adam's apple would be, if I had one, it constantly feels like there is a little pill there that is stuck. It's not so bad until I swallow anything...even saliva. Then it feels from that spot down into the middle of my chest like something doesn't want to go down, but I know there is nothing there. I went back to the clinic that did my surgery and they had me swallow that barium stuff and did a scan. They showed me and say it looks okay to them... I am just curious if anyone else has felt this and what it may be? It's driving me insane. Seriously.

2. I did not go to the bathroom for a BM for 9 days after surgery. I had to take a lot of PEG laxatives to finally go, and now every other day since then, my stools are still black and tar like. Is that normal this far out? The clinic checked my blood and my hemoglobin was totally normal, so they aren't worried...

3. No matter how much water or fluids I am drinking, my mouth is so extremely dry that it sticks together and is so uncomfortable... It's weird!

I have a total of about 70-80 pounds to lose. I was borderline for sure, but I have very extreme Barrett's Esophagus, tumors in my esophagus (they were removed and biopsied), GERD, vocal chord dysfunction, an esophageal ulcer, and precancer in my esophagus. My surgeons believe this surgery could save my life. So... my main reason was to help me heal my esophagus.

Thanks for any advice and help!

Hello,

I had the lump feeling in my throat for a few days. Mine was due to the esophagus repairs they had to do though, my surgeon even warned me about it when he checked on me in the hospital.

Black and/or tar like stools are a legitimate sign of blood in your stool. It could be potentially serious and I recommend you contact your PCP or surgeon ASAP!

Try mouthwash for the dry mouth, or sugar free mints/hard candy to suck on.

Maybe the spot in your throat is where they took a biopsy from & it takes a little longer to heal. That feeling does drive you crazy!
Make sure you are getting all of your Protein in every day. Don’t worry so much about calories right now. Getting enough protein can boost your energy.
Definitely get your stool checked out!

I'd ask about the stool - it could even be something like excess Iron, but I'd check to be on the safe side.

My surgeon told me it could be 7-10 days between bowel movements. I would keep an eye on what they look like but they are going to be weird at first. Hang in there!

I had my sleeve done 7/20 and I so feel like something it stuck in my throat! It happened when I eat and I take a sip of Water which makes it worse so then I end up throwing everything up! This happens yesterday and today so it makes me scared to even eat!!! I had a hernia repaired in my esophagus during sleeve surgery so that may be the cause.

And I also haven’t used the bath room in over a week!! I’m going to take some stool softeners and pray for the best!

Yes definitely go to your doctor or an emergency centre. Black, tarry stools aren’t uncommon the first time or two after surgery but not this far out.

Constipation is very, very common. Add some soluble, non swelling fibre to your diet. Many of us follow a routine of taking stool softeners or similar. Some take something every day. I’d take a softener if I hadn’t been for three days.

Are you taking a ppi? Many find dry mouth a side effect. Try Biotene which is a mouth spray which ‘moisturises’ your mouth.

Not sure about the stuck feeling. I’ll get that if I eat something too dry or coarse as a precursor to the foamies. And before my reflux was diagnosed (decades ago) I actually would get a bit of food stuck in my throat that had come up from my tummy. But you said you’re at the purée stage so unless your purées aren’t moist & liquidy enough (should easily dollop off a spoon) … 🤷🏻‍♀️ Unless your history with Barrett’s, etc, are causing some swelling but again ???? Maybe worth an appointment with your gastroenterologist & more than just a barium meal test.

Hope they can find some answers for you & you feel better soon.

Hey @Tiffanyl1288 I’m a little confused. At ten days out you are usually only still on liquids & then would progress to purées, then soft foods then solid foods by about the 6 weeks mark (though plans are different). What are you ‘eating’? If you are eating you may be irritating (& potentially damaging) your healing esophagus & tummy.

Remember for when you are eating that we’re advised to avoid drinking and eating at the same time. Usually we’re told to leave 30 minutes before & after eating before drinking (sipping).

Edited by Arabesque

I found chapstick helped with the dry mouth... it didn't totally get rid of it but it helps.

I would definitely get a doctor to look into the black/ tarry stools, that's a red flag.

I use a stool softener and Benefiber daily and I (now) go at least once a day. If I eat something heavy-ish it might be 2 days but not longer.

Was the black stool after the barium swallow test? I had that done too and my doctor's said the barium could cause stool like that.

Don’t forget you were intubated during surgery where they lift you epiglottis and insert a tube through your vocal cords to breath for you. And they put a scope down to look at your stomach also. Abrasions in throat and esophagus can happen and could cause little discomfort. That maybe all it is?