Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I‘m hoping to get some help/advice around if anybody has found anything helpful for Hair loss after surgery?

I’m 10 months post op gastric bypass surgery, and 142lbs down (still crazy to say).

I feel amazing, so happy with these results, but the one thing that’s getting me down is the hair loss.

From what I’d read, a lot of people find this stops/slows down after 6 months, but I’m 10 months in and seeing no sign of improvement.

My post op blood tests are normal, so there’s nothing wrong in that regard. I currently take high strength Biotin, zinc and selenium. I’ve been on these for a few months but again, no improvement.

I know it may seem a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but I’d just love my hair to be long and healthy, so I’m willing to try anything.

If anybody has any experience in this area, or found anything that helped, please let me know I’d really appreciate it!!

So far after 16 months I haven’t heard of anything that really works. Lots of stuff out there will make the new hair grow in strong and healthy but nothing stops the accelerated loss or speeds up the new growth. I was one of The lucky few that didn’t experience Hair loss but if I did I planned to invest in some new extensions. I have had them in the past and they are actually kinda fun. I asked my hairdresser what to buy then took them back to her to teach me how to put them in. This was years ago so they have probably changed but I suggest looking into them. Mine just clipped in.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I had significant Hair loss and planned on splurging on a wig made with real hair for the transition. ShoppGirl was right about no magic potion, just time. Anyway, I found I wanted a change and got a cute haircut that flatters me and is easy to style. The cut hid the hair loss and I don’t need a wig. One woman in my WLS group shaved it all off, she looks great! Open your mind to trying new things and save the wig idea for a backup. You might be surprised in a good way.

By the way, your weight loss is phenomenal and I’m very impressed!

48 minutes ago, learn2cook said:

By the way, your weight loss is phenomenal and I’m very impressed!

Thank you so much! ❤️

I wonder...

If part of the deal of losing the excess weight was that you would lose some hair, would you have made the deal?

For me, it would be a no-brainer... I'd have gone bald.

What would you have chosen?

Brain teasers...

Good luck,

Tek

Congratulations on the weight loss. Hair loss starts at 6 months. Be patient it will grow back. A short haircut might help or invest in some snazzy scarves if it is really bad and makes you feel better.

1 hour ago, The Greater Fool said:

I wonder...

If part of the deal of losing the excess weight was that you would lose some hair, would you have made the deal?

For me, it would be a no-brainer... I'd have gone bald.

What would you have chosen?

Brain teasers...

Good luck,

Tek

hair grows back eventually... So heck yea i still would have.

I realise that some folks are hell bent on long hair, but do consider getting a short crop. A good cut that works with thinning hair makes all the difference. When my hair fall was at its worst, I absolutely felt as rough as I looked. I joked about my hair having "gone to seed". Looked awful. So I accepted that growing any length would have to wait, and I got it chopped back into a short pixie and BAM. I look fabulous and chic, and don't even notice my own thin hair now. I'll consider growing it once the hair is back, but until then, I am living my Jamie Lee Curtis fantasy.

As others have said, supplements won’t stop your hair falling out. The hair on your head is already dead & was going to fall out at some time. Can’t stop a natural process. It’s just falling out faster because of the stress your body is going through. Supplements may make your new growth stronger but won’t make it grow faster.

My loss started around month 3/4 and lasted about 3 or 4 months. I was in early maintenance by then & eating more & a greater variety of foods. All you can do is ensure you’re getting in your Protein & a broad range of nutrients.

I agree with the suggestions of cutting your hair. It will take less time for your new growth to catch up to the shorter length. The clumps in the shower don’t look quite as bad with shorter strands either 😁. Shorter hair often looks thicker & bouncier because you don’t have the weight of your long hair pulling it down. You can always grow it again.

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

I agree with the suggestions of cutting your hair. It will take less time for your new growth to catch up to the shorter length. The clumps in the shower don’t look quite as bad with shorter strands either 😁. Shorter hair often looks thicker & bouncier because you don’t have the weight of your long hair pulling it down. You can always grow it again.

I am seriously considering getting my hair cut if I start to lose too much hair. Unlike a lot of others I was already thinning and shedding well before surgery so Hair loss is nothing new to me. I was given a topical medicine that included 7% Rogaine in it and I have been on that medicine since February. One of the things hair loss taught me is I will survive and that life will still go on with or without hair. So why the heck not embrace it and get a cute hair cut. (if I can decide which one I want) :)

My dietician said hair supplements & collagen DO NOT WORK! Stop wasting money & time with them.
Said collagen is empty calories. And on supplements, just because it says “hair doesn’t mean that’s where your body will apply it. Your body will use it where it’s needed & hair generally isn’t the priority to your body.
Protein is the ONLY thing that will keep you from suffering from Hair loss. So meet your protein goals as set by your doctor (usually 60-80g protein/day for women, 70-90g for men).