Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet- messing up/cheating

I did several times and no it does not depending on what you are eating. the whole point is to clear the fat off the liver and shrink it. If you cheat and are eating pizza, cheeseburgers ect... and they open you up on surgery date and your liver did not shrink, they will close you back up. Me what i "cheated" with was having 1 small meal a day. mostly 3oz of Sockeye Salmon and 2 ounces of veggies. Or 1 can of tuna. That was it. Tho you should try your hardest to stick to what your surgeon recommended.

I cheated with an entire pizza and a pint of Haagen Dazs (I'm not joking) and the surgery went forward without a problem.

Just remember the more you shrink the liver down the safer the surgery is. Have people cheated and their surgery went on, yes. But just because you can get away with it doesn’t mean you should. I had very little pain post op and after multiple comments were made about how well I did on the pre op diet I asked the NP if that’s why I had low pain and she said it certainly is a factor since a smaller liver is much easier to operate around so less manipulation means less pain. A slip is a slip and it probably won’t cancel your surgery or anything but do your best from now on to put yourself in the safest place for your surgery and set yourself up for the easiest recovery possible.

2 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

I did several times and no it does not depending on what you are eating. the whole point is to clear the fat off the liver and shrink it. If you cheat and are eating pizza, cheeseburgers ect... and they open you up on surgery date and your liver did not shrink, they will close you back up. Me what i "cheated" with was having 1 small meal a day. mostly 3oz of Sockeye Salmon and 2 ounces of veggies. Or 1 can of tuna. That was it. Tho you should try your hardest to stick to what your surgeon recommended.

Some people who are really struggling on their all liquid diets call and get permission from their team to have a small meal of lean meat and non starchy veggies each day.

On 7/9/2022 at 6:40 AM, Recidivist said:

I cheated with an entire pizza and a pint of Haagen Dazs (I'm not joking) and the surgery went forward without a problem.

THIS I don't recommend lol Not everyone could get away with it, so it's best not to assume you can. Stick to the diet as best you can (I had 2 weeks all liquid pre op diet, so I feel your pain) and if you need to cheat, do it the way @liveaboard15 did, with healthy choices.

I did not cheat, but I knew my liver was big (I have NASH) and it is the biggest reason I did the surgery so I was terrified I wouldn't shrink it enough.
I don't think cheating once or twice would ruin the whole thing by any means, but it's best to stick to it if you can.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

On 07/15/2022 at 10:49, STLoser said:

I did not cheat, but I knew my liver was big (I have NASH) and it is the biggest reason I did the surgery so I was terrified I wouldn't shrink it enough.
I don't think cheating once or twice would ruin the whole thing by any means, but it's best to stick to it if you can.

Can I ask if your NASH resolved after surgery?

Can I ask if your NASH resolved after surgery?
My liver enzymes came down to normal, so I'm pretty sure it is resolved, although the last time one of them was a few points over normal, but the doctor thinks that's just my body adjusting. I think it was the ALT. It was 39 and was supposed to be 34. All the others were completely normal though!

On 07/15/2022 at 11:55, STLoser said:

My liver enzymes came down to normal, so I'm pretty sure it is resolved, although the last time one of them was a few points over normal, but the doctor thinks that's just my body adjusting. I think it was the ALT. It was 39 and was supposed to be 34. All the others were completely normal though!

That’s wonderful. I am in a similar boat. Im still pre-op and I have lost some weight so my numbers are back in the normal range but boarder-line and the last abdominal palpitation indicated improvement in size. I’m hoping this surgery will help that process along to resolving.

Thanks for your reply!

That’s wonderful. I am in a similar boat. Im still pre-op and I have lost some weight so my numbers are back in the normal range but boarder-line and the last abdominal palpitation indicated improvement in size. I’m hoping this surgery will help that process along to resolving.

Thanks for your reply!
I'm sure it will help a lot! I have read your enzymes can go up with rapid weight loss. It has happened to some people here, but it's temporary.
Good luck on your surgery!

21 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

THIS I don't recommend lol Not everyone could get away with it, so it's best not to assume you can. Stick to the diet as best you can (I had 2 weeks all liquid pre op diet, so I feel your pain) and if you need to cheat, do it the way @liveaboard15 did, with healthy choices.

I agree with you! However, I wanted to reassure those who do slip up during the pre-op liquid diet that it's not the end of the world and will probably not impact their surgery.

On 7/9/2022 at 6:19 AM, Bridge1967 said:

Has anybody had experienced cheating on liquid diet. (I'm totally liqid). I know it@not ok, but does a slip make you ineligible for surgery?

From my reading, it could exclude you. If your liver is not shrunk properly the surgery will not happen. Also, if you can’t follow the diet, you may need to do more work on your psychological issues regarding food more before you are a good candidate for surgery, otherwise you may have a very hard time after surgery when you must refrain.