Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 9 days post op.

I feel really weird. Odd. I wish I can explain it . I just feel almost like I’m in a different world. I don’t feel comfortable…..

Since not eating food for about 3 weeks I feel like I miss it more than ever. I have never cared about food like that. I just ate the wrong stuff in large quantities. But now I feel I’ll never enjoy eating again.

I’m barely getting liquids in for the day as well. I’m just not feeling right….

It is tough in the first few weeks , we all go through it. Its major surgery and we under estimate that. Lots of us have had buyers remorse in the first month but it does get better, Once you begin to getting your Water and Protein quota in your body things start to get on the right track and you feel better.

Take things as easy as you can, be kind to yourself, have naps if you need them. If you are still having spaced out days or dont feel right ask to see your team

P.S. if you are dehydrated { is your urine really dark coloured ?} you might need to go to the ER to get it put right

I hope you feel better soon

Hello,

Your body is adjusting and probably freaking out.

Might be dehydrated if you aren't getting in fluids. I had 1 oz cups and I drank one every few minutes and kept a tally. I made sure each day I beat yesterday by at least 1 oz. it really helped push me until I started hitting my goal. Once I was able to drink bigger sips, I graduated to drinking from a cup so I could use ice. I prefer my Water ice cold. Still keeping track (I track everything, everyday)

Try some Gatorade with Protein, or any of the clear Protein Drinks. They count as fluids and Proteins and the protein promotes healing as well as nutrition.

I was very lucky, I had a super easy recovery and had no desire to eat so I never went thru the "missing food" stage.

I did get a little creative and drained different Soups so I could have different flavors. Plain broth was too bland for me. Other people ate the rest of the Soup so I wasn't wasting a bunch of food too.

I hope you feel better soon, if not call your surgeon.

Thank you both for the tips.
The feeling kind of feels mental not physical… I’m hoping it will pass.

As far as liquids I am surely not getting enough in. I know this. I just don’t have the urge to drink …

3 minutes ago, Veritas34 said:

As far as liquids I am surely not getting enough in. I know this. I just don’t have the urge to drink …

Do it anyway.. haha... I know I know easier said than done!

Try setting a timer to remind you until it becomes habit. I will soon enough!

Hey, I've been through this twice, trust me those feelings will pass.

After just a few months you'll be through all your phases and can start eating more "normally" again - normally meaning small portions. Every so often you can even have a comfort food in a smaller quantity. For example, I thought I'd never have pizza again, but now I can eat pizza. At first I made my own pita pizza with one spoonful of sauce and some shredded cheese, but now I can have a slice from the pizza place. Maybe two if they're small. Back in the day I'd order a pie and eat half of it.

Every so often I'll get to chicken soft tacos from Taco Bell - total about 420 calories and about 7 or so ounces. I eat them slowly with no sides and it fills me up. Before I'd eat a lot more plus sides/snacks/etc.

I used to love ice cream and I still do, but instead of digging into a tub of whatever from the supermarket I get Halo Top and weigh out a portion and that's enough to satisfy me.

I was at a picnic the other day at my kids school and they had a barbecue food truck. I got a sandwich - large roll with pulled pork, cole slaw and sauce. I threw away the roll and ate the rest, it was delicious and filling but not overfilling.

My kids like to go to Friendlys so when I take them instead of getting one of those monster supermelts I'll get a bowl of the clam chowder Soup - filling and delicious and I get to eat with my family and not feel like I'm depriving myself.

You don't want to feel like you're not "allowed" to eat something, because then you'll just want it more.

I track every single thing that goes in my mouth so I can make sure I'm not going overboard, and I weigh everything if I can, I recommend you get in the habit of doing the same. Best of luck, you'll get through this fine, and when the lbs start coming off you're going to be very happy.

I feel you :/ I am about 5 days out of surgery and I just feel like I’m missing out. I think I’m mostly just bored, but for some reason I can’t wait to try chocolate again… I am even dreaming about it lol…

anyone else have weird food dreams post surgery?

13 hours ago, Veritas34 said:

Yeah I went through this too, its like a grieving process, fear of the unknow and both genders suffer with hormones being out of whack too. have a good cry if you need to I found trying to hold it back made me feel worse.

14 hours ago, Veritas34 said:

This is gonna sound odd but try making it into a drinking game. Watch a old sitcom and anytime the audience does that fake laugh take a shot- be it Water, Protein Shake, watered down juice, Gatorade… you get the idea. You can change up the tv show or movie and make the cue more relevant.

All great responses …. I truly appreciate the responses from you all!! Thank you

i am 3 weeks after having surgery- i completely understand what you mean; i went abroad for mine to Istanbul and after 4 days came home- all the time there and flying back felt like i was in my own little bubble and world but i made it ahhahaha x

When i got home and saw my little ones and mum and that I felt so so strange and everything was hard to explain to them of what it was like and what had been through etc- since then am back to work and normal life has resumed as in routine wise- i think this very normal to feel like this you know and just each day/half day at a time, every blessing to you x

On 6/17/2022 at 8:30 AM, Veritas34 said:

I’ve been feeling the same and I’m 5 days post op. I feel like I’m in the twilight zone or something and it’s just depressing to say the least.

I’m 9 days post op.

I feel really weird. Odd. I wish I can explain it . I just feel almost like I’m in a different world. I don’t feel comfortable…..

Since not eating food for about 3 weeks I feel like I miss it more than ever. I have never cared about food like that. I just ate the wrong stuff in large quantities. But now I feel I’ll never enjoy eating again.

I’m barely getting liquids in for the day as well. I’m just not feeling right….

Me too. Surgery was 15/8. Now on liquids probably till my next appt on 1st Sept.
I am sooo hungry.
Not losing weight either for the past 5 days.

Sent from my SM-N986B using BariatricPal mobile app