Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thing I miss most

I find the list of things I don’t miss far outweigh the things that I thought I would miss! Being 16 months post op and about 180 lbs down, I don’t miss blood pressure meds, I don’t miss my cpap, I don’t miss big and tall sizes, I don’t miss requesting a seatbelt extender on flights while trying to make myself small to not be rude to those sitting next to me, I don’t miss the mind space and control that my food addiction had over me, I don’t miss hangovers, I don’t miss fat jokes, etc., etc., etc! This journey has given me so much to Celebrate that I don’t dwell on what I’ve given up. If I never have another carbonated beverage or Big Mac or you name it, it’s all been worth it to me. Keep fighting the good fight y’all!

17 hours ago, doobie31 said:

Reading this is my greatest fear. I'm 51, healthy and happy, but tomorrow I'm having surgery mainly because the quality of my life is starting the deteriorate. And it didn't happen slowly, I went from hiking 3 miles without issue to struggling to walk a couple of blocks in a matter of weeks (due to back pain).

So while the weight didn't get in the way of your life now, maybe knowing it very well could at any time, maybe that'll help you feel a little less resentful towards things.

I've been seeing a therapist via BetterHelp.com since I started down the surgery path. I know I have a food addiction and I know how much I love just stuffing my face, and it has helped. It hasn't gone away, but it has definitely helped. It's all done remotely, so even time isn't an excuse. And they've been very helpful with lowering the cost for me just for the asking.

I hope you keep posting so I can follow your journey. I'm rooting hard for you (and for me!).

You are awesome! I really appreciate your post and its good to hear that others understand the feeling and me or you are not unique. I am going to check out the betterhelp.com as well!

I also appreciate the prospective you laid out for me about what it could have been in the future , had it just kept going the same until then.

Not trying to be flippant, but I truly miss NOTHING. I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow and I have never felt better.
Nothing tastes as good as THIS feels!

I didn't miss anything at 2 weeks either. But I was also still on a clear liquid diet and in a lot of pain from them puncturing my liver in 2 places. It wasn't until much later that I really started missing it when I had something that was a little spicy or dry.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

I miss being able to eat a huge meal if I wanted. We are going on a cruise soon and I'm a little sad I won't be able to really enjoy the 4+ course meal at dinner. However, I am never really hungry or have cravings so this is totally a mental thing! I love that food isn't a constant thought for me anymore, but I wonder if I will ever mentally not be addicted to food.
I remember actually feeling depressed early after my surgery because of that. But I had to refocus my brain to realize I'm eating for fuel not pleasure and eating for pleasure is a big reason why I ended up needing surgery

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I think there was an old song, "If it feels good, do it, if not, just let it lie...." 🤣

On 06/15/2022 at 08:52, catwoman7 said:

I thought separating drinking from eating would be really hard for me - and it was at first - but i got used to it pretty quickly. I'm seven years out and still separate them.

Same.