Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Atkins for banders

Does anyone follow the Atkins diet completely? How does it work for you with the band? Is ketosis really bad for you? Also what can eroid the band?

Atkins is a way of life for me. I don't eat many white carbs for the most part and I don't count carbs I do eat. It makes no difference to me and I'm usually in ketosis just from avoiding white carbs.

Ketoacidosis is what is dangerous, ketosis is when you burn fat and one of the chemicals burned fat becomes is keytones. Thus, ketosis.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I know in Australia the Atkins diet has had really bad press about being a very unhealthy way to live long term. Not to mention the bad breath issue. I think by all means cut down on carbs - but almost eliminating an entire food group from your diet can't be great. I thought the point of the band was to be able to eat everything in moderation. I think the way we can succeed is by not feeling we are on a "diet" but eating much smaller portions of generally good food and exercising. Good luck.

I went into ketosis after being banded..... not on Atkins.< /p>

Sometimes it happens...and many doctors agree that it will not do any harm UNLESS there are underlying conditions w/ the kidney or whatever.

I was on Atkins years ago and got down to 136.

I'm considering Atkins next month after I reach my goal weight... I'm getting a slight unfill to lose all this restriction and I just don't want to start gaining it back.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I know in Australia the Atkins diet has had really bad press about being a very unhealthy way to live long term. Not to mention the bad breath issue. I think by all means cut down on carbs - but almost eliminating an entire food group from your diet can't be great. I thought the point of the band was to be able to eat everything in moderation. I think the way we can succeed is by not feeling we are on a "diet" but eating much smaller portions of generally good food and exercising. Good luck.

I essentially eat a modified version of Atkins, I have eliminated an entire food group and I'm thrilled I did. Never felt better. Just what do white carbs have to offer you in a nutritional sense? Pasta? Flour? White rice? Sugar? None of those foods are necessary for life, none of them are even good for you. Quite the opposite.

The bad press comes from the version of Atkins people are doing. If they are not eating any fruits or veggies, of course, that's not great. If they are diabetic and shooting for ketoacidosis... a little common sense will go a long way.

I'm usually in ketosis but that is only because I avoid all white carbs, not all carbs completely. White carbs are what got me fat. I darn sure was not healthy then. Today getting rid of all white carbs means I feel better, I look better, and I'm much healthier than before.

For many Atkins means all meat, no veggies, high fat, high calorie, unreasonably high Protein. Of course that isn't healthy. It takes a bit of common sense and a few critical thinking skills.

For many Atkins means all meat, no veggies, high fat, high calorie, unreasonably high Protein. Of course that isn't healthy. It takes a bit of common sense and a few critical thinking skills.

I've never met a single person on Atkins who didn't get vegetables. The actual plan insists on vegetables actually.

I essentially eat a modified version of Atkins, I have eliminated an entire food group and I'm thrilled I did. Never felt better. Just what do white carbs have to offer you in a nutritional sense? Pasta? Flour? White rice? Sugar? None of those foods are necessary for life, none of them are even good for you. Quite the opposite.

The bad press comes from the version of Atkins people are doing. If they are not eating any fruits or veggies, of course, that's not great. If they are diabetic and shooting for ketoacidosis... a little common sense will go a long way.

I'm usually in ketosis but that is only because I avoid all white carbs, not all carbs completely. White carbs are what got me fat. I darn sure was not healthy then. Today getting rid of all white carbs means I feel better, I look better, and I'm much healthier than before.

I find the SouthBeach diet the solution for weight loss. The Southbeach begins like the Atkins. This is to break the carbo addiction. Unlike the Atkins, it cuts back on the saturated fat and replaces it with good fats (olive oil, canola oil)... After two weeks you begin to add fruit, vegetables and whole grain products back into diet. White carbos and bad fats are eliminated for good.

I use a lot of ground beef in my meals. So I bought me a meat grinder and pick up less fatty beef roasts, cut the fat off or out and gind it. I end up with some of the nicest ground beef I've ever seen. When I go to cook it I add back fat with olive oil. The other day I found chuck arm roasts for $1.79 a #, bought 6 of them. I ended up with 98% fat free $3.00+ a # ground beef.

I've never met a single person on Atkins who didn't get vegetables. The actual plan insists on vegetables actually.

My surgeons office has me on a Protein based diet...but low fat sources of protein such as chicken, turkey, lean beef etc. Once I've eaten up to 4 oz of lean protein then I can proceed to the vegetable...around 1/2 cup of low carb veggies i.e. green Beans (NO mashed potatoes!!), asparagus, etc. I am hungry occasionally, but I try to distract myself and not focus on it....I didn't go through all of this to "cheat" with foods not on the plan. I've always believed that weight loss happens from the neck up (you've got to be in the right frame of mind), I'm grateful that I've been able to be in that "right" frame of mind...so far! I was banded 12/26; I lost 23lbs presurgery and around another 10lbs after surgery but haven't had my first fill yet.

I actually thought I'd have to do Atkins once I hit my goal. That's the only way I KNEW I could maintain and not gain the weight back.

WRONG! The band keeps me in check. I ate at pizza Hut today and had quite a bit to eat. Slimed up the salad...not the pizza.< /p>

I went into ketosis a week or so after being banded...not trying to mind you, it just happened.

I am extremely constipated if I do strict Atkins. I can't live like that and it's not good for the colon. I eat a very high Fiber whole grain Cereal in the morning and try to eat a little bit of fruit.< /p>

My surgeons office has me on a Protein based diet...but low fat sources of Protein such as chicken, turkey, lean beef etc. Once I've eaten up to 4 oz of lean protein then I can proceed to the vegetable...around 1/2 cup of low carb veggies i.e. green Beans (NO mashed potatoes!!), asparagus, etc. I am hungry occasionally, but I try to distract myself and not focus on it....I didn't go through all of this to "cheat" with foods not on the plan. I've always believed that weight loss happens from the neck up (you've got to be in the right frame of mind), I'm grateful that I've been able to be in that "right" frame of mind...so far! I was banded 12/26; I lost 23lbs presurgery and around another 10lbs after surgery but haven't had my first fill yet.

I've been on the strict phase one of Atkins twice and lost a LOT of weight. It was that I needed to keep my carbos so low to get into ketosis (20 or less) that most veggies were to high in carbos. When I got myself into ketosis, I lost weight like crazy. But, sadly enough added it back on and more when I went off the diet. Also Atkins says fatty steaks, eggs, butter, cream, cheese, sausage and bacon were fine for the diet and stuff I LOVE. SouthBeach says different. I have high triglacydes and very high bad cholesteral that I have to watch the bad fats. SouthBeach is just another version with a healthier twist.

I actually thought I'd have to do Atkins once I hit my goal. That's the only way I KNEW I could maintain and not gain the weight back.

WRONG! The band keeps me in check. I ate at pizza Hut today and had quite a bit to eat. Slimed up the salad...not the pizza.< /p>

I went into ketosis a week or so after being banded...not trying to mind you, it just happened.

You got it. We went on the Atkins diet to kill our hunger and now we have the laPBAND to do that for us!!!!!!