Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nerves and am I choosing right?

So here I am, finally a week until bypass and I’m a ball of nerves. I’m starting to wonder if I should have the sleeve vs the bypass? Can anyone talk me both sides pro for sleeve vs bypass or bypass vs sleeve? Is this normal? I worry about malabsorption, deficiencies, teeth rotting, crazy things and just think sleeve may be better but then I think I don’t want worse reflux. Just venting or maybe wanting answers.

I had reflux, so I went with the bypass. I'm now off the proton pump meds and my reflux is well controlled.

Nerves are pretty common prior to surgery, so you aren’t alone in that & it is understandable. It’s a pretty major surgery & you are making changes to your body & your lifestyle.

Yes malabsorption is something to continuously monitor after bypass. Regular blood tests will keep you informed of any thing you may lack & they will pick up any specific absorption issues you may have. It will be important to monitor your diet to ensure you’re consuming a range of nutrients & take the Vitamin supplements you need. Yes, malabsorption isn’t really an issue with sleeve & you may not need to take Vitamins in the long term (I don’t). But eating a balanced diet is always the healthier choice.

Some people have posted about dental issues post surgery but not many that I can recall. Could be something that began pre surgery because of dietary choices, be a genetic weakness, or they had pre existing gerd/reflux. Excess acid is a common temporary side effect of surgery but keeping on top of it will help reduce your risk of dental damage - take your PPIs. In three years, I haven’t had an issue at all.

We’re all different & we can’t predict how our bodies will react to the changes. All because something may happen, doesn’t mean it will. Not worth focussing on some very low risk maybe. Focus on what will happen: a healthier you.

But, as you already have reflux, bypass is really your best option. Why did you choose or were you advised bypass over sleeve in the first place? Those reasons will still be true.

All the best.

I chose the sleeve specifically because I didn't want the possibility (no matter how small) of malabsorption or any of the complications that can happen with bypass. I also have meds that I cannot take in liquid form and cannot crush or break open, so bypass definitely was out for me. Sleeve only required 1 night in the hospital, and since I didn't have any gerd issues, it just felt like the right choice. If you already have gerd or bad reflux, sleeve likely isn't the way to go. The sleeve is known for making that much worse, whereas the bypass is known to get rid of it.

they're both good surgeries, and they both have their pros and cons.

Malabsorption is rare as long as you keep on top of your Vitamins.

tooth rotting is also rare. If it were common, we'd see postings about it here, and I almost never see them, even though I've been on this site for seven years. If you're concerned, have a chat with your dentist. Mine said he'd never seen that issue in his patients who'd had WLS, although he'd read about it in the professional literature. As a precaution, he wrote me a prescription for a super-high-fluoride toothpaste to use before I go to bed, and he also does a fluoride varnish on my teeth every six months. He said those would go a long way toward preventing any problems, but to be honest, I think he did it more to placate me than anything else, because I was so concerned about it. But that's fine by me!!

I've been super happy with my bypass and would make the same decision if I had to do make that decision again today.

Edited by catwoman7

You are overthinking, and will worry yourself into the ground. I chose the mini bypass, no regrets yet. Advice? Ask your doc, or your primary and ask them their honest opinion.