Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to bypass reversion UK

Hi there.

I took part in a bariatric study where I had no choice of what procedure to have. The only one I didn't want particularly was the band due to all the negative reviews. Funnily enough the computer chose the band for me, I had my concerns but the surgeon swayed me to it. So iwas banded in 2018 all was going well, went down from 165kg to 106kg so almost 60kg down.

Untill a few months ago the band just overnight. Stopped working?! I always had bad reflux during (was prescribed lansoprozole) but this was really bad. Being sick in my sleep. Then the sleepless nights. I could eat what I wanted with zero restriction.

The reason I had surgery is because my brain has no "off switch" so ovcourse as soon as my brain worked out I could eat what I want. I went to town. I have now regained to 140kg approaching my start weight.

After tests at hospital (camera down throat and barium swallow) they couldn't for the life of them work out what was going on. To help me sleep at night they emptied the band. They tried to convince me to keep the band and try again but as it wad on my record that I did not want it in the first place they have kindly agreed to remove the band and have a revision to a bypass. (Within a few months I'm told. Just have to wait for the random phonecall 2 weeks prior like last time)

Was/has anyone been in the same position??

No, I chose Lap Band on my own. I tried going the less invasive route. So I only have myself to blame, lol. I developed GERD and I'm now in the process of revising to Bypass as well. I never got to goal with the band and I'm hoping for better success with revision and improvement of GERD.

Best wishes on your revision!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh so not the traditional gastric bypass. Don't let @MiniGastricBypassDudesee you type that it's the same as Gastric Bypass, lol. He actually has a fantastic thread on here that you should read about the MGB. Thank you for the well wishes!

Hello Skins657, I had the lap band placed in 2010 (self-pay) and although I specifically chose the band, from almost the beginning I recognized that it was a big mistake. I was constantly hungry, and I found the band to function erratically. Sometimes I had almost 100% restriction, but most often I had 0% restriction. Insurance did not cover adjustments and they ended up being very costly and did not help. I lost some weight but gained it all back during my decade with the lap band. It was only recently (during the pandemic) that I learned that I could have the band removed and undergo a different bariatric procedure. Unfortunately, my only option was a gastric bypass (covered by insurance) since the band had caused so much damage to my esophagus. I picked a surgeon who had a lot of experience with conversions from band to bypass. I had my bypass on 4/5/22 and so far, so good! For what it is worth, I wish that I had never chosen the band.

2 minutes ago, 321 Lift Off said:

Hello Skins657, I had the lap band placed in 2010 (self-pay) and although I specifically chose the band, from almost the beginning I recognized that it was a big mistake. I was constantly hungry, and I found the band to function erratically. Sometimes I had almost 100% restriction, but most often I had 0% restriction. Insurance did not cover adjustments and they ended up being very costly and did not help. I lost some weight but gained it all back during my decade with the lap band. It was only recently (during the pandemic) that I learned that I could have the band removed and undergo a different bariatric procedure. Unfortunately, my only option was a gastric bypass (covered by insurance) since the band had caused so much damage to my esophagus. I picked a surgeon who had a lot of experience with conversions from band to bypass. I had my bypass on 4/5/22 and so far, so good! For what it is worth, I wish that I had never chosen the band.

Well said.

2 hours ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Oh so not the traditional gastric bypass. Don't let @MiniGastricBypassDudesee you type that it's the same as Gastric Bypass, lol. He actually has a fantastic thread on here that you should read about the MGB. Thank you for the well wishes!

Yeah, the RNY bypasses a few inches and the OAGB/MGB bypasses several feet. I don't know what's "full" about RNY that isn't "full" about OAGB/MGB but it surely isn't the bypass part. Maybe the "full" refers to the pouch that fills fast and gets ... full? Or the full absorption of carbs in the part of the intestine they somehow mangle to attach to that pouch that we're spared from? Or the full-on dumping? Or the full coffers of American surgeons who refuse to learn OAGB/MGB because RNY pays well?

I don't know. All I know is a) do Optifast b) caffeine omg c) alcohol = pray to JeBuS and omg and areu4realomgomg d) Optifast e) Being fat definitely isn't a complex chronic condition, it's just about willpower.

Or something. Anywho. ... :blink:

10 minutes ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Yeah, the RNY bypasses a few inches and the OAGB/MGB bypasses several feet. I don't know what's "full" about RNY that isn't "full" about OAGB/MGB but it surely isn't the bypass part. Maybe the "full" refers to the pouch that fills fast and gets ... full? Or the full absorption of carbs in the part of the intestine they somehow mangle to attach to that pouch that we're spared from? Or the full-on dumping? Or the full coffers of American surgeons who refuse to learn OAGB/MGB because RNY pays well?

I don't know. All I know is a) do Optifast b) caffeine omg c) alcohol = pray to JeBuS and omg and areu4realomgomg d) Optifast e) Being fat definitely isn't a complex chronic condition, it's just about willpower.

Or something. Anywho. ... :blink:

What's optifast and what's the alcohol part? I don't really drink

48 minutes ago, Skins657 said:

What's Optifast and what's the alcohol part?

I'm European and have a Master's degree that didn't involve one bit of pronoun training, so we better let our American betters comment on this one :D

Just enjoy your journey, you'll do great :)

3 minutes ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

I'm European and have a Master's degree that didn't involve one bit of pronoun training, so we better let our American betters comment on this one :D

Just enjoy your journey, you'll do great :)

😡 🤬 🤣

Hush you! 😂