Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Screwed up the PreOp diet today

Well I screwed up my PreOp diet today. I was on the two weeks high Protein low calorie diet (I’m in week 2) 3 Protein Shakes a day , one small meal kn the evening (300 cal or less) and a couple things of dairy and fruit during the day …. well that’s was going fine until I went to my office for the first time in months today .. got roped into a team lunch and totally went off the rails …

Do I tell my surgeon or just get back after it tomorrow and keep it clean till my surgery next Tuesday?

You are fine. Get back on the pre op diet and stick to it. I am on my day 9 of my pre op diet and on my day 6 i had a couple extra items i knew i shouldnt have. But yea just get back on the diet and you will be fine.

Hi! I JUST JOINED. I've been lurking for a few days but decided it was time I join.

Well...today is day 1 of my pre-op diet. Your diet sounds a whole lot better than mine. Mine is all liquids. I'm not sure how this is going to go...I'm optimistic but this is HARD.

17 minutes ago, Vivis said:

Hi! I JUST JOINED. I've been lurking for a few days but decided it was time I join.

Well...today is day 1 of my pre-op diet. Your diet sounds a whole lot better than mine. Mine is all liquids. I'm not sure how this is going to go...I'm optimistic but this is HARD.

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah the pre op diets really vary from doctor to doctor.

6 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah the pre op diets really vary from doctor to doctor.

I feel okay so far...but I'm barely a couple of hours in! 🤣 I'm already going a bit crazy thinking of what more I can get and buy and how to tweak the broths...I'm on an ALL liquid diet and it seems impossible.

4 minutes ago, Vivis said:

I feel okay so far...but I'm barely a couple of hours in! 🤣 I'm already going a bit crazy thinking of what more I can get and buy and how to tweak the broths...I'm on an ALL liquid diet and it seems impossible.

It gets easier after about 4-5 days. I am on Day 9 of 14 and its no big deal. I do feel hunger but its not strong where i am like OMG i need to eat something.

I'm so happy and relieved to hear that! 🙂 I'm definitely feeling hungry at the moment. So far have had: yogurt, 1 Protein Shake, and pudding...doesn't help that I'm at work and had to pre-pack and pre-make everything not knowing exactly how it'll go. I packed broth in a Protein cup and I'm sure that won't be very yummy...

16 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

It gets easier after about 4-5 days. I am on Day 9 of 14 and its no big deal. I do feel hunger but its not strong where i am like OMG i need to eat something.

On 04/12/2022 at 18:04, Vivis said:

Yeah I will say in terms of some I’ve read I got off east on my 2 week post op diet , and I had been doing well but it was a good lesson in poor planning

Lol I remember caving in one day in the middle of my pre op diet and ate half a bag of cheetos. Then I started spitting them out after chewing them because I NEEDED the taste in my mouth but felt so guilty swallowing it...turned out just fine! I got back on the diet and remembered why I was even doing it in the first place. Having a healthy distraction helps too and if you really need to chew on something have a sugar free popsicle or some ice. As long as you get back on the horse and keep your digestive system clean 2 days before surgery you're going to be fine. Remember it's also a lot easier to follow these crazy diets once you're bypassed/sleeved.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

A one off aberration is ok as long as you get back on your plan straight away afterwards. Good luck with your surgery.

For others who may find themselves in a similar situation & if your colleagues/friends don’t know about your surgery, you could say you’re having a routine medical test & are on a restricted diet to prepare (colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood tests, etc.). Most people are understanding when you say it’s for a medical reason. There were times in the staged returned to eating phases after surgery I was out & couldn't eat what everyone was. I ordered Soup if I could, or just had something to drink. I even took a Protein Shake to my friend’s 60th birthday & sipped that. I circulated a lot so no one knew if I was eating or not.

Just stick to the plan until surgery to keep your liver from being fatty for surgery. One slip up isn't the end of the world.

If we can’t stay on the 2 week liquid preop diet, how are we ever going to follow the plan post surgery? We all knew this was part of the process. STAY STRONG! We can do this. Day 2 for me only liquids for 12 more days.