Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time with foamies/frothing

I am 4 1/2 weeks out from a sleeve to RNY conversion due to hiatal hernia and GERD. During the 7 years I was sleeved I never encountered any issues of foods I couldn't eat except for carbonation.

Last evening I had around 2.5 ounces of beef brisket, which is listed by my NUT as being something that is allowed at this stage of recovery. Within an hour I was feeling miserable, with fullness, high chest pain, and major discomfort. I originally just thought i ate a bite or two too much, but soon began to have my first experience with frothing (or foamies as it's called on here). It was not a pleasant experience.

I am hopeful this was just because the brisket was too dry or too firm for this stage of my recovery. As a person who owns a smoker and frequently prepares BBQ brisket it would be pretty devastating if this was no longer a food I could tolerate.

Does tolerance for dry or firm foods get better over time after an RNY?

yes, they do. A lot of people have issues with various foods the first few weeks (and sometimes the first few months) post-op. eggs, dairy, dry meats (like a dry chicken breast) are all common culprits. For most of us, we can eventually eat all of these again.

I tried Ground beef on week 4 after Gastric Bypass and that is the fist time I got the foam in my mouth.

It happens each time I try beef, even a little bite, both surgeon and nutritionist told me to wait until month 4 to try it again and if it still gave me discomfort wait until month 6. I have always liked beef but lucky for me I do not miss it now. Surgeon told me that when I have the foam the best is to have warm liquids and wait.

YMMV, of course, but I think it's pretty common to have problems with meat early on but eventually improve. I had a lot of trouble with meat for the first several months after I got to the solid food stage. Even though I was very careful to make sure it was moist (usually with some kind of sauce), eat small bites, and chew well, I would often get a feeling of a bite getting stuck on the way down, and it was very unpleasant but would usually clear up in 10-20 minutes.

I'm 20 months out now, and I almost never have problems with anything I eat anymore. Every once in a great while (maybe once in 3 months), I take too big of a bite and/or don't chew well enough and get that "stuck" feeling, but I eat meat all the time without issue. I will say that I've gotten in the habit of taking small bites and chewing well, and most of the meat I eat is in a dish with sauce or a soup/stew, but I don't really have to think about it or be careful because now that's what feels normal to me. I, too, love my smoker and greatly enjoy smoked chicken, ribs, and pulled pork with sugar-free BBQ sauce! I haven't tried brisket since my surgery; I rarely eat red meat in general.

I’m so glad you posted this question. I have been wondering the same thing. I’m an 2.5 months out and still figuring out what I can tolerate and it’s frustrating when I try to eat something I used to love but don’t currently tolerate it. I’m so relieved to know that eventually I’ll be able to eat the things I loved, even if only small bites at a time.

I have problems with different things (berry skins!) and it's different on different days which makes it tough to get used to things. But I can eat a wide enough variety of things to keep me happy and interested and healthy. It's scary sometimes but it's already starting to get slowly easier.

It’s not pleasant but at least it passes quite quickly unlike dumping. Dry meat is always the cause for me. Though I did have a episode a couple of weeks ago caused by very coarse green Beans - they were unusually hard to slice so I should have tread more carefully.

Don’t give up a food if it makes you unwell though just give it a break for a few days or a week & try again. Next time, try smaller bites, add extra sauce or gravy, cook it in a different way like to medium rare not medium or well done, or try a different cut like chicken thighs not breast, etc.

For me, it went away. I had the foamies quite a bit the first 3 months and then it became only once and awhile after that. After the 6 month mark, it has completely stopped.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

I read a study online which stated that many bariatric patients have difficulty with red meat forever. Interesting that you are allowed regular meat already. I think most programs allow soft, moist foods at 4 weeks.