Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair questions

Hey everyone I had my surgury in Jan of this year my hair is falling out in shedding alot I can tell the difference beacuse my pony tail is so much littler and thinner it's disappointing beacuse I had a hot mess while back from extensions that took out alot of my hair it was just coming back until it's falling out any of u experience this? If so how long did it return to normal I'm taking liquid vitamins omegas b complex and these hair Vitamins and using Nioxen Shampoo any advice?

Sent from my BE2025 using BariatricPal mobile app

My doctor said when i have my surgery to help with Hair loss is to make sure i get that Protein in with every single meal that it would help a bit but hairloss happens to most but not all. Its temporary and will come back

it's pretty common. And it'll all grow back. I had loss from months 5-9.

the best thing to do is just keep on top of your Protein and Vitamins so it won't get any worse than it will otherwise...

Thanks you guys it just sucks to see and ontop of that I've hit a plateau or something beacuse I've stopped loosing and I have no ristriction at all even sometimes when I eat fast or don't chew I don't feel it get stuck anymore and I just had an adjustment last week hopefully I'll start loosing again

I think we should be clearer on these boards about Hair loss.

Almost every post about hair loss has said to make sure you get your Protein and Vitamins (yes, we all should be getting our protein and vitamins), but this isn't the sole cause of the hair loss. It can certainly be exacerbated by not getting in your protein or vitamins.

From the start, I have been able to get all my protein in, Water, and swallow pills. I have lost about 40-50% of my hair. Thank goodness I have a lot of hair, but it is still noticeable to me. I am really annoyed by it because it's growing back....but it's coming in all weird, and it's full of static right now too. It's probably going to take about another year for my hair to return to normal.

My point is, the stress of a 'traumatic' surgery on the body, coupled with massive hormone changes with this type of surgery is a big contributing factor to the hair loss. I spent a lot of months thinking it was my protein intake and that hasn't been the cause. I just want others to realize that it doesn't solely come down to protein.

Unless there are other mitigating factors (not related to the trauma of surgery), any Hair loss will eventually come back.

I started dropping carpets of hair round 3 months postop. Noticed the little chicken hairs sticking up over my head around 7 months post op.

By year 2 all those chicken hairs grew to the same length as the rest of my hair (jaw-line length hair at the time). And density-wise it looked about the same as it did immediately before surgery. Though if anything it looked a tad thicker than pre-op (but this may just be wishful thinking lol)

Mind you, i had thinning hair already pre-op, but at least any further thinning due to surgery was eliminated.

As an aside, I’m currently in the process of getting SMP (scalp micro-pigmentation to give illusion of fuller hair..i.e., scalp tattooing)…will update on results when im done. So far so good looks-wise, but it effing hurts.

Edited by ms.sss

I am six months out and have lost probably 60% of my hair, and it was thin before. I am at a point where if I leave the house I have to wear a hat. I’m starting to get the little “chicken hairs” but it’s really frustrating that I waited my whole adult life to feel cute and now I’m practically bald. I’ve been taking collagen, a supplement for Hair growth (vital Proteins hair boost), Calcium, Iron, and zinc…all of which is supposed to help. I guess we will find out!

So I thought I'd chime I take liquid vitamins fish oil and I thought I'd try that hair supplement nutrafol goodness is it expensive but anyways I'm almost on my 3rd bottle so almost 3onths and hair isn't coming out in ridiculous clumps I'm the shower don't get me wrong I still shed but it isn't scary when I take out my ponytail instead of 4844838383883 strands of hair on it it's many 3 or 4 so I'm thinking hoping the hair Vitamins are kicking in lol damn it's like yay I'm finally loosing weight then wait hold up now I got 3 strands of hair and my hair feels like a broom from the 50s with all I have shed I could make a full head of clip in extensions ha

Sent from my BE2025 using BariatricPal mobile app