Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I’m 31 days post op from my rny and have been struggling with food for awhile. I never really cooked at home pre-op and so I’m having a hard time finding things to eat during the soft food stage. I’ve gotten Snacks that my programs suggests but I’m craving a meal. I rarely eat more than 1-2 times a day. Typically a meal and a snack, so I’m way below on my Protein. My first NUT appointment is the 18th so I’m interested to hear her suggestions. I’ve been eating this way for about 2 weeks now and it’s really wearing on my energy levels. I eat less, workout less and lose less. It’s becoming disheartening. I’m hoping by the 3 month mark when I can have more variety it’ll be a lot easier. I’ve avoided things like chicken noodle Soup and chili thus far. Has anyone tried this at this stage and if so how’d the noodles go? I’m open to any low to no prep food options either from a restaurant or grocery store!

So far I’ve lost about 22lbs since surgery.

Thank you everyone!

I would agree that chicken noodle Soup isn't a great idea at first - the chicken breast can be hard to eat and the noodles are just empty carbs, but why are you avoiding chili? I eat that a lot! It's a great source of Protein, complex carbs/fiber (the beans) and veggies.

Make sure you're getting your protein in. When I have chili I add FF greek yogurt in place of sour cream and some shredded cheese. I also use those on top of refried Beans (really easy to eat in the soft food stage) and taco meat.

I still eat a lot of FF sugar free greek yogurt, like Light and Fit brand, plus the plain unflavored to add to foods.

I don't like the Protein Drinks, but I still have one every days or I can't get my protein in.

You can get chili at lots of restaurants, and it's easy to make your own. I like going to Chipotle to get a "bowl" with no rice or lettuce, with some sort of meat, cheese, hot sauce, sour cream, and beans and that's enough for a few meals. I also like Barber chicken breasts that you can cook in a toaster or regular oven. I eat half of one of those plus some mashed cauliflower.

You can also make "ground turkey stroganoff" (recipe can be googled) and freeze it in individual portions (I do the same with my chili) so you can have it ready in two minutes. 20 oz of ground turkey plus a lb of mushrooms is 8 servings for me. I find that ground meat is easier to chew and digest.

eggs are hard for some people to digest, but that's an easy thing to cook.

Something else I make is a Joseph's low carb tortilla stuffed with Goya Chorizo flavor refried beans and shredded cheese, cooked in a pan, then served with FF greek yogurt. One tortilla (made like a quesadilla) makes two meals for me.

I loved the ricotta bake. It's super easy with little prep other than opening some packages and heating it up. I can't remember if that was soft food or pureed food, but I ate it a lot because it was so yummy.

I am almost 3 months out and struggle to eat anything resembling a meal because my stomach only allows tiny meals. I buy tiny pots of stuff from the supermarket. I got really fed up of the leftovers I had to throw away. For Breakfast I might have a boiled egg or plain yogurt with home made apple sauce { frozen in a ice cube mould } or a passion fruit. Or a banana and Peanut Butter milkshake

lunch might be some kind of pate on 2 or 3 tiny melba toasts or some seafood in a sauce with steamed veg from a frozen packet. Or a tuna mayo salad, a small baked potato with cheese and a few baked Beans,

dinner, chilli, chicken mince curry, Chinese minced chicken in lettuce cups, smoked salmon and scrambled egg, 1/2 Avocado with prawn mayo

I try for 2 Snacks a day. cream cheese with mini bread sticks, ham rolled with cream cheese, homemade Soup made with milk and extra milk powder, mozzerella and Tomato, Jerky, chicken wings, however you have them, a sausage.

Hope I have given you some ideas.

2 hours ago, Chunky mermaid said:

Hello! I’m 31 days post op from my rny and have been struggling with food for awhile. I never really cooked at home pre-op and so I’m having a hard time finding things to eat during the soft food stage. I’ve gotten Snacks that my programs suggests but I’m craving a meal. I rarely eat more than 1-2 times a day. Typically a meal and a snack, so I’m way below on my Protein. My first NUT appointment is the 18th so I’m interested to hear her suggestions. I’ve been eating this way for about 2 weeks now and it’s really wearing on my energy levels. I eat less, workout less and lose less. It’s becoming disheartening. I’m hoping by the 3 month mark when I can have more variety it’ll be a lot easier. I’ve avoided things like chicken noodle Soup and chili thus far. Has anyone tried this at this stage and if so how’d the noodles go? I’m open to any low to no prep food options either from a restaurant or grocery store!

So far I’ve lost about 22lbs since surgery.

Thank you everyone!

I am in the exact same boat. I am not eating enough and definitely not getting enough Protein. I know it sounds gross, but I made chili for my family and blended some for me. It was really good and I had no issues eating it at 26 days post op.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I’ll definitely give them a try. The chili I avoided at first because my book said to avoid Beans due to the casing around them. I love beans, especially Lima and could eat them out of a can! It suggested refried beans but goodness that gave me so much gas pain. I take gas-x before I eat anything because I used to get terrible left sided pain under my ribs. I’m going to try chili tonight, I’d imagine that similar to the refried beans being cooked makes that casing soft and easy to digest. It was my pre op cold weather go to so I’m excited to try and reincorporate it.

It is more challenging if you’re not a cook but maybe this is an opportunity to start 😉. You have greater control over the ingredients & how the food is cooked.

I ate a lot of minced meat meals on soft foods - savoury mince, meat balls, bolognese with zucchini noodles, etc. Just keep it moist with sauces/gravies. I also made a lot of slow cooked Soups & casseroles. Try omelettes, scrambled eggs, frittatas, etc. - just cook off any verges you add well first before adding them so they get double cooked.

You could blend your Soup, I lived on KFC mash potatoe and gravy, kids yoghurt pouches and Soups mainly. These stages are hard but it gets better. Don't worry so much about the calories ATM cause seriously you are eating so little something higher in calories is probably better anyway, but get your Protein in I drank protein waters and hydralite products. I didn't cook at home much either but I do now I actually enjoy the food I make better than take out these days

Edited by SleeverSk

I wouldn't recommend noodles yet. Be sure to get your Protein in. Have you tried the premade Protein Shakes? They're better (more expensive though) than the powder. I like GNC Lean Protein 25g protein. My surgeon told me to eat protein first, then if I'm full, to stop. If not full, eat veggies, then grains. Mostly I only ever get the protein. I get 80+ g of protein daily.

12 hours ago, Chunky mermaid said:

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I’ll definitely give them a try. The chili I avoided at first because my book said to avoid Beans due to the casing around them. I love Beans, especially Lima and could eat them out of a can! It suggested refried beans but goodness that gave me so much gas pain. I take gas-x before I eat anything because I used to get terrible left sided pain under my ribs. I’m going to try chili tonight, I’d imagine that similar to the refried beans being cooked makes that casing soft and easy to digest. It was my pre op cold weather go to so I’m excited to try and reincorporate it.

You can make chili without beans, very easily. Give that a go.

Hi there,

Even if you're not a cook, there are some really easy things you can learn to do at home. If you buy a package of ground chicken, turkey, or beef, you can brown it in a pan, making sure to break up all the clumps. Season it with your choice of seasonings- can be as simple as salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, or any ethnic seasonings, and moisten it well with either Tomato sauce or a sugar free bought sauce. This can be frozen in little portions and is a great Protein. eggs are so easy to make, they can even be microwaved! Just google it... Good luck!

I bought an air fryer and just heat up random things in it for 5 minutes. Usually a piece of chicken thigh, or fish.

It’s not quite cooking but it’s better than take out.