Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post op - not feeling full

Hi All, I’m two weeks post sleeve. Getting concerned that I don’t feel ‘full’ after 6 tablespoons of food.

This is causing me to worry in case I eat too much and cause problems. I’ve not been sick or had dumping syndrome so worried if something is wrong. Terrified that I’ll overeat and stretch my stomach.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just over worrying at the moment?

I am assuming that if I ate too much - I would know about it.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

1 minute ago, Princess86 said:

Are you “eating” or on liquids like shakes? 1 and 1/2 Protein Shakes, 25- 30 oz Water and broth fill me up I am 21 days post- op sleeve surgery. How much Fluid are you getting?

I started puréed food today, im also drinking Protein Shakes and Water. Perhaps I need to up my water intake. Oddly my Protein Drink (Fuel10k) fills me up more than food.

Most likely you will feel restriction when you get to soft food and regular foods. Most people don’t feel it untill then. I was able to eat more than expected at every given stage so it’s possible for that to happen too but it’s not common. It’s best to just measure foods until you feel the restriction kick in and make sure to go slow to allow it time to kick in.

I’m the same. I weigh my food on a scale when I’m eating at home.

You won’t start to feel full until you’re eating solid food. First because liquids & purées go through your tummy more quickly. Secondly, a lot of nerve endings were cut during your surgery & they take time to heal & start sending messages to your brain again. One of the reasons it’s important to keep to your advised portion sizes.

It takes time for the message you’re full to get through so by the time you think Oh I’m full, you’ve often had too much. Remember in the past thinking I’m full & then it almost seems like that full feeling gets worse & you think you’re stuffed or going to burst.

One of the most important things I learnt was not to eat until I was full but until I had had enough. Do I need that next bite or do I just want it. Big difference & big change.

All the best.

You're worrying too much. You're highly unlikely to get dumping syndrome, it's very uncommon. It's nearly impossible to stretch your stomach. 6 TBSP of food is not too much. Eat small tiny little meals multiple times per day and get your Water in. You'll be fine.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:05 PM, ianc74 said:

Hi All, I’m two weeks post sleeve. Getting concerned that I don’t feel ‘full’ after 6 tablespoons of food.

This is causing me to worry in case I eat too much and cause problems. I’ve not been sick or had dumping syndrome so worried if something is wrong. Terrified that I’ll overeat and stretch my stomach.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just over worrying at the moment?

I am assuming that if I ate too much - I would know about it.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Im 8 days post op and I never feel hungry. But I think I get restless which is my body saying to eat., I drink my fairlife Protein Shake around 8:30am and then every 2-3 hours and eat yogurt. Or 1 cup of creamy soup(tomatoe/vegetable) I drink Water in between the 2-3 hour meals. By the time dinner comes around I might have 2 soft boiled eggs or another shake. I have a cup of tea with Splenda to end my night. I’m hoping this stays the course as I start introducing solid foods.

53 minutes ago, Dcsjoc said:

Im 8 days post op and I never feel hungry. But I think I get restless which is my body saying to eat.

Yep, real hunger does feel different. Feeling restless is my real hunger signal too. You’re fortunate to have worked this out so quickly. I also don’t crave or want a specific food with real hunger except I usually look for Protein. I was a lucky one & did not feel real hunger for ages. The first time was at about 8 months & I didn’t know what was wrong with me until I realised how little I’d eaten that day. Then it was well into my 2nd year till I started to feel real hunger more often.

I agree with everyone else. You're not likely to feel full until you eat solid food. Plus dumping syndrome is very uncommon with sleeve.

So glad I found this thread, I thought my stomach was broke or still in there 😅 I’m 6 days post op, the dietician advised to have 200ml smoothie, 200ml Protein Shake, 200ml Soup, 200ml Protein shake, 200ml yoghurt mixed with milk and another 200ml protein shake per day and 2-3 Litres of Water per day, reading your comments I feel like this is way to much but I don’t get a full feeling other than a runny nose. Am I broken or has my pouch expanded from to much? US version on 200ml is 6.7oz

Besides different hungry signals many get different full signals. Some people say a runny nose is an indicator they are full now. Or they sneeze.

Wow that is a huge amount of Fluid. With 1200ml from your shakes, Soups, etc. plus two to three litres of fluid you’re drinking 3-4 litres a day. You must feel so bloated & be peeing constantly. Generally we’re advised all fluids count to our 2L daily goal regardless of whether it’s from combinations of Water, tea, shakes, Soup, etc. I wouldn’t be concerned about stretching your tummy but maybe putting stress/pressure on your healing tummy. Worth a chat with your dietician & surgeon.

But then there are many different plans out there & a lot are adjusted to suit the individual & their needs.

All the best.

I’ve changed it up today now to just 50-100ml and eating/drinking slower so will see how that goes. Yes very bloated and swollen, today was weigh day and it’s first one since op and I’m down 10lb ☺️