Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 1/18/2022 at 2:45 PM, lizzie320 said:

I’ve committed to getting gastric sleeve in April but I am barely 30 BMI. My logic is that I can pack a few pounds on ( who’s kidding- I love to eat and could easily eat to gain forever) but I’m starting to struggle mentally and I do some extreme exercise so burn through calories on occasion. Feeling like I’m almost “sport eating” when I’m not hungry because I want to make sure I don’t get down there only to be turned around for BMI under 30. I also would love to do a proper liver shrinking pre op diet without risking going under 30 BMI so right now enjoying some indulgence to put me well into qualifying range.
Am I nuts? No I don’t think so, I am doing this because I want permanent change. Sure I could lose 30 pounds through giving up sugar and flour and weighing my food. I could put limits on how much beer I drink. Hot yoga, running etc. But I also go back to old ways. Gsv gives you that sort of permanence which you must adopt new lifestyle or face discomfort.
I guess I am just looking for others who may have been thinking how I am thinking and found success with gsv. How different is it with a small stomach? How did you avoid unhealthy behaviors trying to stay above 30 BMI?
Please be mindful how you comment. I am committed to changing my life for the better and just reaching out as an athlete, human, woman.
Thanks

So Lizzie, I’m picking that you have been accepted for surgery and have a date in April? Me too! Part of the process I have been through is seeing both a dietician and a psych, and will have this support after the surgery? Do you have this support? If not then you need to take steps to put it in place so that you can talk through your issues with a qualified psych and not have to roll with all the (undoubtedly well meaning) judgement on a public forum.

I don’t think that you will ‘get turned round for BMI under 30’ at the surgery stage if you have been approved and accepted. That would be really unethical of the surgeon if that is really on the cards. Regarding the liver shrinking diet I don’t think that this is negotiable, (you say you’d ‘like’ to do it…I’m confused about the process you are following). If your surgeon has told you to do it, then do it as prescribed and the weight loss that goes with it is coincidental, you are doing it to make the surgery easier not actually for weight loss at this stage.

I’m also picking from what you say that losing weight isn’t an issue but keeping the weight off is? Is that right? In which case yes surgery is absolutely the right approach for a chance at a permanent solution to get off the diet merry go round of yo yo weight loss and gain, if that is what you want.

You say you feel that you need to indulge in unhealthy eating to keep your weight above 30 BMI? My advice would be that if you have been accepted for surgery, and you have talked to your support crew (psych and dietician) and surgeon about your dilemma, and got some constructive advice, then stop jumping on the scales for the next few weeks, eat healthily, like really healthily, include some healthy carbs, eat real food, then just stick to the liver shrinking diet for the amount of time your surgeon requires pre op and stop stressing. Focus on your health not your BMI at this stage. Keep doing healthy exercise, be as fit and active as you can be before surgery. Follow the plan from your surgeon and dietician exactly as they say, and know your own mind. I think that you need to be very sure of your reasons for doing this very permanent, crazy thing to your body. If when you have done all the research you can you feel that this is the best and only way forward to get to a healthy BMI for the rest of your life, then go you!! If however you still think that you can lose the weight….and more importantly keep it off through diet and exercise then maybe that would be the healthier option, both physically and mentally, for you.

Hi, first time posting here, but I am also at a BMI of 29.8. My BMI fluctuates up to 30 and then down to 29. I am always on the boarder of obese and have been my entire life. I am tired of it. I have a surgery scheduled in July. I am scared and have continual second thought myself but I have decided that this is the best option for myself. I am tired of constantly struggling with my weight. I feel that this tool will significantly help me in the long run.

I believe you are making a great choice , are you talking the sleeve? You don’t have to have a high bmi to do this , I wish I’d done it when my bmi was lower , I’d be at goal and stay at goal. I will get there but I believe it’s a personal choice . And if you want to deal with it now . That is awesome!

I'm one week post op, terrified the entire time leading up to the surgery I would drop below BMI and lose my chance. Obviously successful. :) My surgeon told me to skip the liver shrinking diet as the BMI was more important. How INSANE!!! Well, it is what is.

My mindset dealing with pre-op was that I knew I was stuffing myself with food that wasn't good for me and that I didn't even want to eat but it was for a short term, specific goal. It was SO hard! At the same time I really concentrated and meditated on post surgery/rest of my life eating habits, why I was going through this and what I wanted to get out of it.

My first thought waking up after surgery was that I didn't ever have to do that again and felt so relieved.

This is just the price of admission to a fabolous tool that, if used correctly, will make a huge difference in the rest of my life.

Hang in there and commit to the work after.

And DON'T get me started on the absurdly, inaccurate and arbitrary decisions based on outdated BMI requirements!!!! LOL

Hi danita75, yes, I am referring to the sleeve. I hope it is the right choice, but I'm tired of the constant loss and gains. I just want to work on becoming a healthier, better me and for once, loving myself :)

Great choice , everyone always told me I was not fat enough for WLS ! I did it 6 months ago I’ve lost 70 lbs and have 30 more to go, I just had someone ask me that only need to loose 40 lbs. or so she is waiting for approval! I’ve had so much invested in weight loss programs O should own stock in them! Lol best choice aI ever made was getting the sleeve done!

That's exactly what I have been told as well. I should not have to wait until I am morbidly obese to take my weight into my hands. I agree with you about owning shares too haha I've literally tried tons of diet plans, bought the food, the pills, the books, the videos, I am over it all. I need a tool that will assist and keep assisting once I've lost the weight. I am mainly keeping this decision to myself, as I do not feel I will get the support I need.

I too waited and almost deliberately put on weight to get me over the set BMI that would get the surgery done. If I knew I could have got it done with a lower bmi I certainly would have and I would have had less weight to loose, probably would have less loose skin issues etc etc. Good for you hope all goes well. I was 90kg when I decided I wanted something surgical done about my weight but was told I would have to be over 100kg to qualify as it was at 105 kg my bmi was 38 and only just qualified because I had sleep apnoea and high cholesterol.

This is what I find wrong with going by BMI. A person, just on the cusp, should not need to gain weight to "prove" that they need this surgery to help them. I feel that if you are in the overweight category, have tried everything and have still not succeeded, that you can take this option. My dr. refused to let me get the weight loss injection as well because my BMI was too low. I was told I needed to gain weight so that I could essentially lose then..... That makes absolutely no sense to me. I am coming to get help before it becomes too much.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:48 PM, ash11.T said:

I was on the lower side BMI wise and got the surgery in September. It’s very true what people are saying there are ways to cheat of course. That being said for me it has helped completely change my mindset. 58 pounds down so far …18 to go till my goal. There are frustrations not gonna lie, used to love eating out and now it’s not quite the same. However I’m healthier, determined and take each day as it comes. Do your research, focus on why you are getting it done, don’t listen to the outside noise and make a final decision. Just remember it is permanent, good luck ❤️❤️❤️

Did insurance pay for your surgery even though you had a lower BMI?