Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a motivation re-start!!!

Hi everyone! I am struggling with my weight right now. My surgery weight was on 4/19/21 I was at 396lbs and now its January 16th and I'm at 309lbs. I am a slow loser haha I feel like I should have lost more weight by now. Before surgery though I actually lost seventy pounds to get approved so my biggest weight December 2020 was 470lbs. I know I have come a long way and I am proud of myself but since October ish, I haven't really lost weight. I been at 309lbs for the past two and a half months and I am starting to not feel as motivated. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help me get back to losing weight? I have a long way to go and I really want to get in the 200s already.

almost a 90 lb drop in nine months is pretty good - so your overall loss is fine. But no loss in 2.5 months makes me think you've put yourself into maintenance. You should still be able to lose - I kept losing weight for 20 months - although it does slow down the further out you go. You may have to cut calories - or increase your exercise - or both - to get things going again. Are you still weighing/measuring food and logging everything you eat? If not, go back to that. I still do that at almost seven years out.

Thanks. I have actually struggle with logging in my food, I haven't done that in a really long time. I felt like I didn't really have to do it for the first six months so I recently started trying to get used to that habit, I would do well logging in Breakfast but than the rest of the day I would just fail so I think I should start logging in my foods and try to develop this habit. I think I am doing well with my exercise; I think it's mostly my food. I know I was snacking way too much too so I am trying to now avoid snacking on those Snacks that im like hooked to and im going to avoid eating out for this coming month and see if that helps. I just bought tons of meat at the store and veggies so im hoping this will help me this week, taking it day by day :) I do love cooking so my goal is to cook in batches for the next day and week, to make my food delicious and colorful and to just enjoy it again. I also do struggle eating slow, I tend to eat fast and I haven't been drinking at least 64oz of Water per day, I know my body needs more especially with me exercising more. I guess I am just feeling overwhelmed with logging in my food, exercising, drinking enough of water, etc. So I guess I know what im struggling with, so I just need to focus on those to help me get back on track. It just seems harder already, my appetite has increased greatly and im lacking motivation at this moment because I still have a long way to go

Edited by Kat L

I’m 11.5 months post op and I have lost 175 lbs total since this process. Starting weight was 358, surgery day weight was 331, current weight 183! Prior to my surgery, I was terrible at logging food, exercising regularly, and had a terrible relationship with food (addiction, Portion Control, etc). Of course I knew what to do conceptually but the follow through was the issue. I told myself (and truly believe) that the surgery was not the fix! It’s just a tool! A tool that allows me to fix the broken things. What I’m getting at is, although logging food is “difficult”, it’s necessary! You have to be willing do do things differently and consistently if you want to reach your goals. Set up your environment to help you be more consistent: meal plan, log your planned foods the night before or first thing in the morning. Proactivity rather than reactivity is key! I treat my food log like I budget my finances, I track input and output and plan ahead! You got this! You just have to tell yourself you’ll do what it takes. The habits that got you in this situation won’t get you out of it! Embrace your second chance at becoming the best version of yourself and focus on the inputs and the desired outputs will happen! Don’t be afraid to consult your medical team and seek mental health help if need be. We all decided we can’t do it on our own which is why we took this journey. You owe it to yourself to be better than you think you can be! Good luck!

Stick to/get back to the basics of tracking all of your food and Water intake. Focus on Protein 60g or more a day. Exercise if you can. You'll start losing again. Keep in mind why you had WLS in the first place and that'll motivate you to get back on track.

I can't agree that you are a slow loser. Your progress is amazing!

Did you break out of your rut? How's it going now?

I agree with most everything everyone has to say on here with one exception. You MUST do more exercise. I don't care if it is just slow walking for an hour a day, even if it is broken up over 3 or 4 sessions, but you have to exercise and keep moving. If you are not exercising at your stage you are going to plateau. You have to do more than you were doing at the heavier weight to burn off calories. Your BMR is getting lower, meaning your body is using less calories for basic functioning than before you you have to make up that difference as you lose weight. You are in some type of calorie burning/intake equilibrium. How about resistance training, weights, bands etc. Anything that creates calorie burn is seriously needed at this point. Of course this is assuming you are tracking and controlling your food and calorie intake.