Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Time to Have a Panni

Hi all,

I'm 16 months post-op and down almost 100lb. While I'm still about 20lb from my original goal weight, I'm not sure I want to keep that goal. I'm down to 150lb, size XS-M / 4-8 (depending on clothing styles & cuts), and feel comfortable where I am. Also, my husband (and others) think if I lose any more weight, I'll start to look unhealthy. I've been at my current weight for about 6 months now and this extra skin is really starting to bother me. It's visibly "bulky" under my clothes and makes me a bit self-conscious. I'm really only interested in a tummy tuck/panni. Just wondering how long I need to/should wait. In order to have insurance pay for it, do I need to wait a certain amount of time? It's almost my understanding that insurance will likely pay for a panni, but not a Tummy Tuck - is that correct? How much additional weight is typically lost from skin removal surgery? Lastly, any recommendations for a top-notch surgeon in the Chicago area?

Thanks,
Linda

Edited by LAJ23

many surgeons recommend you wait a year after hitting your goal weight to be sure your weight is stable. A 10 to 20 lb gain after you hit your lowest weight is unfortunately VERY common - it usually occurs during year 3. And a gain of more than 10 or 15 lbs can affect your surgery results.

some insurance companies don't cover plastic surgery at all (mine did not). Some will cover it if you have some medical issue with it that doesn't respond to traditional treatment - like a chronic rash. So if you have those kinds of issues, see a doctor because you'll need the documentation to submit to the insurance company.

I had my surgery with Lawrence Zachary, who's on the faculty at the Univ of Chicago - but he does his self-pay surgeries at Weiss on the north side. He specializes in plastic surgery for massive weight loss patients and is nationally known, so he is pricey. Dave Shifrin (in the Loop) doesn't specialize in it, but he's done a TON of PS for massive weight loss patients and is also nationally known (and also pretty pricey). I had a consult with him as well. I also had a consult with Daniel Krochmal. Not well-known nationally although he had some pretty impressive fellowships (he's younger with not as many years under his belt) - I liked him as well but decided to go with Zachary due to his reputation and many years of experience.

there are lots of surgeons in Chicago - so set up 3-5 consults as you may get different ideas from different surgeons. I definitely wanted someone who either specialized in it or has done a boatload of them.

realself.com is a good resource for creating your list of people to consult with...

btw - you may not need to go top notch if you're just planning on getting a panni. On those, they just remove the skin - there's usually not an effort to make everything look "normal", like there is when you have a full lower-body lift. Some (maybe most? Not sure) people are even left without a belly button after a panni - so there's that to consider, too.

Im in Canada so this may be a little different from you:

Panni was covered by insurance, but I paid the difference to get a proper tummy tuck..which is basically the muscle tightening and some lipo)…i ended up paying maybe 25-35% of the cost of a proper Tummy Tuck out of pocket.

My surgeon (nor the other 3 I consulted with) has/had a “waiting period” at goal weight requirement. I had my PS 6 months after reaching goal…would have been earlier if my surgeon wasn’t so booked up…on the other hand it would have been 9 months if he didn’t open up a surgery day specially for me (thanks, doc!)

Thoroughly happy with my procedures (i had a TT, arm lift and breast lift), and at 3 years post wls and 2 years post PS, my bod is still holding up just fine….and i get to wear bikinis with confidence!

Oh, and regarding how much extra weight was lost —i know i am in the minority in this compared to other accounts i’ve read — i lost a measly 400g across the 3 procedures. But i was pretty small already, with very little body fat. He basically just removed skin.

Good Luck! ❤️