Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Protein Alternatives

I am 10 days post op. For the most part I’m able to reach my Protein goals which is 60-64 grams per day. But I am struggling because I am tired of drinking the Protein Shakes. It takes me a long time to finish them. Does anyone else have this issue. If so what have you found that are some alternatives?

1 hour ago, LaNelle said:

I am 10 days post op. For the most part I’m able to reach my Protein goals which is 60-64 grams per day. But I am struggling because I am tired of drinking the Protein Shakes. It takes me a long time to finish them. Does anyone else have this issue. If so what have you found that are some alternatives?

I am in the UK and have been told to do milk with extra milk powder in it.

I despise the shakes, so I feel you! Have you looked into Protein Water? I'm currently getting my 60+grams from a protein water that is 28g per serve (I have two a day, 800ml total liquid), and then using protein fortified soy milk (10g protein per 250ml) in unsweetened matcha lattes. If you drink dairy, look for a protein fortified one.

The protein water I use is an Australian brand, but I've no doubt that you have many, many more choices over in the US.

Edited by Smanky

You should be able to find the Protein Water in stores. Also, The unflavored Protein Powder such as GENEPRO mixes in pudding and Soups and stuff depending on what you are allowed to have

Edited by ShoppGirl

I hate the shakes too because it’s antithetical to the way we normally eat. We are use to savory punctuated by sweet and the shakes are too much sweet.
i recommend whey Protein isolate powder that is unflavored to mix in your food. I have put it in Soup and broth as well as mashed, guacamole and such. A quick option that is also good is Unjury makes a chicken broth protein powder that tastes like Mrs Grass. It’s a little higher in sodium but it’s good because a cup of it drunk while reading or relaxing gives you everything a Protein Shake does and your Water. FYI they make a “chili” flavor that is really not good so don’t get that.

Protein Soups are available from ProtiDiet and Bariatric Advantage.

You might find plant-based protein easier than whey-based. Orgain's chocolate Caramel Sea Salt is to die for, as is their Peppermint hot chocolate. Both are in powder form that you add to Water or milk.

Isopure has fruit and punch flavored protein powder. There are also unflavored protein powders you can add to other things once you are allowed soft and pureed food.

You can also make your own Protein Shakes at home. There are lots of recipes online. Google "protein shake recipes".

I've been using these LPS Liquid Protein Supplement packets that I first had in the hospital post-op.

They're 1oz of a slightly thick syrupy liquid. They're all sickly sweet, artificial grape and watermelon flavor are the two I've had.

I wasn't able to keep doing the shakes, just hated the taste/texture, and these were far easier for me to get down. Just one ounce and it's over with.

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/lps-sugar-freer-collagen-whey-liquid-protein-supplement-nutritional-designs-oz-packets-1

Edited by tatcca

I'm 6 months out and down 85 lbs I can't believe it. I've told everyone I know about this Protein powder. Unjury protein. In my opinion it's the best. They sent me home from the hospital with it. Mix with 8oz of milk. I drink one every morning sometimes if I'm not very hungry I will have one for supper. I love the vanilla and chocolate splendor.

I also recommend the Unjury Protein powder. I am in the liquid pre-op phase and the Unjury chicken Soup flavor has been a lifesaver for me. I mix it with some warm low sodium vegetable broth and it is so savory and delicious (and salty. The stuff is salty). I know that I will be adding this to Soups someday for added protein.

Edited by LouLouM

And I'm sorry to "hijack" your post, but reading the replies has me curious about Protein Water. I wonder if any of them are any good? Please chime in, everyone! I'm curious to know if anyone has one in particular that they can recommend.

3 minutes ago, LouLouM said:

And I'm sorry to "hijack" your post, but reading the replies has me curious about Protein Water. I wonder if any of them are any good? Please chime in, everyone! I'm curious to know if anyone has one in particular that they can recommend.

I found I didn't like the Protein Water . I just stick with the Unjury protein and high protein meat . But everyone is different!

2 minutes ago, blackpowder72 said:

I found I didn't like the Protein Water . I just stick with the Unjury Protein and high protein meat . But everyone is different!

Thanks. I kind of predict that I won't like it either. Probably too sweet or too artificial tasting.

I am loving the savory chicken Soup flavor of Unjury and now I'm curious about their other flavors!

Injury Santa Fe Chili is good