Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rhuematoid Arthritis and the Band

Hi all-

Not sure if this is the proper place for this posting but wasn't sure where to put it, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong spot.

I started this lab band process in September and am moving forward with pre-op testing and insurance approval. Unfortunately in the mean time I have learned that I have rheumatoid arthritis. So since this is such a fabulous place for answers and support I'm wondering if there is anyone out here who has RA and what if any affect that has had on the fact that your banded.

RA is an autoimmune disease and my concern is with putting a foreign object into my body it will kick my immune system into overdrive making my RA worse.

Any thoughts??

:help:

Hi there. I have had ra since I was 17 years old. I have lived so far as normal. I don't have any effects except when temperature changes.

I am not banded yet, but my doctor told me it does not affect your immune system and the ra will not change.

I have RA and was banded in October 2007. My band doc took me off my methotrexate for 2 weeks after surgery but other than that I have done real well. I did this because of my RA, not in spite of it because I believe losing weight is the best thing I can do for my joints.

Yep, RA sufferer here.

The band does nothing for RA and RA doesn't interfere w/ the band.

HOWEVER, I'm not in as much pain now that a hundred pounds have come off the joints!!!!!

My rheumetolgist recommeded the band. She said the weight reduction would make my back, knees and hips more comfortable. I'm trying to do the exercise now. I started 5 days after surgery and I'm three weeks out. I'm losing, but the exercise that I'm unaccustomed to, is killing my knee. I got a shot in it last Thursday and it did help. My doc says, when I can finally swim in a pool, it will help until I lose more weight. But my incision opened up a little on the end, and I'm afraid of infection. So I'm still waiting to swim.

I also have RA. I am 32 years old, and have had it for 3 years. I was banded in July, and my rheumatologist actually wrote a letter to my insurance that the RA was affected by the extra weight. Since having the surgery I have not went back on the Methyltrexate. And have yet to have one episode. (knock on wood). I dont think you will have any problems...

I have RA. No issues for me either.

I couldn't stomach the plaquinil pills crushed or cut up (they are just too nasty to stay in my stomach).

I have switched to methotrexate which are such tiny pills that I haven't had any issues - even when I take 6 at a time (granted it does take me while :eek: )

Good luck to you!!

I have RA also and was banded in August. I've had no problems, but like the others here have said; my back, knees, and feet feel better with each and every pound I lose. My rheumatologist was very much in favor of the band. He said for every pound you drop, the pressure is exponentially decreased, especially on the lower back. However, sometimes I do have problems taking my daily medication. I take Sulfasalazine (2 pills X2 daily) after eating. Well, i don't eat much and sometimes the pills don't want to go down and STAY down. I just keep swallowing and walk around a little - it seems to help the food pass! Good luck!

I have psoriatic arthritis. I stopped the plaquenil about a month before surgery, and haven't taken it since. I have tried to leave off the mobic, but I just can't. My right pinkie DIP joint is so swollen and the rheumatologist said it is totally deformed and will always be. I think this is from stopping the mobic. It's a tough decision, ruin the stomach, or have enormous joints...I figured the fingers would be likt this eventually, so be it. My back pain is nearly gone, and foot pain is not too bad. I have had no immune problems with having a foreign object in the body. Dr says they implant these in people with autoimmune diseases all the time. It's tough to put the NSAID's into the stomach though as you know it isn't a good thing. I guess it's a tradeoff that has to be done...