Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sandwiches and chips

Hi guys, I’m 9 days post op and doing great. I keep down most things. I’m struggling with eggs and getting fluids in.
I’m wondering if I will ever be able to eat fries again? I’m a sandwich lover too so what about bread? Is there Bariatric friendly bread?

also, I’ve gone from 117kg to 101kg in a month but how do I actually lose weight after the bypass? I’m still struggling to walk long distances without feeling dizzy and exhausted

i love sandwiches too, but cant digest bread nor tortillas, when i tried it, felt like my insides were gonna explode. Im 14 weeks out RNY.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

22 hours ago, cheryl o said:

i love sandwiches too, but cant digest bread nor tortillas, when i tried it, felt like my insides were gonna explode. Im 14 weeks out RNY.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I think both of you are trying things way to early, take it slow it's not good for your healing tummy to be forcing these types of foods in this early. Wait until the 6 month mark at least and really even then they are sometimes foods if at all. I loved hot chips and sandwiches too but they are now sometimes foods. Mmmmm nothing better than a fresh bakery bread butter and hot chip sandwich ..........aahhhh 🥪 I still haven't attempted to eat one yet. It's won't benefit your weight loss either to return to your old eating habits and yes it is hard I still struggle with what to eat but we will all get there.

Congratulations on your successful surgery and progress so far!

Regarding your questions, it is common for patients to struggle with certain foods and fluids after bariatric surgery, especially during the early stages of recovery. It's important to follow your surgeon's post-operative guidelines regarding food and Fluid intake, as well as to consult with a registered dietitian who specializes in bariatric nutrition to ensure that you are meeting your nutritional needs while promoting weight loss and healing.

As for your specific questions:

• Fries: It's possible that you may be able to eat fries again, but it will depend on your individual tolerance and the type of fries you consume. Fries are typically high in fat and carbohydrates, which can be difficult for some patients to digest. It's important to start with small portions and pay attention to how your body responds. You may also want to consider air-frying or baking fries to make them a bit lighter and more bariatric-friendly.
  • Bread: There are many bariatric-friendly bread options available on the market today, such as high-protein or low-carb breads. However, it's important to keep in mind that bread can be difficult to digest for some patients, and you may need to start with small portions and chew thoroughly to avoid discomfort.

To promote continued weight loss after bariatric surgery, it's important to focus on making healthy food choices, Portion Control, and regular physical activity. Again, consulting with a registered dietitian can help you develop a personalized nutrition and exercise plan that works for your individual needs and goals.

Regarding your dizziness and exhaustion, it's important to talk to your surgeon or primary care physician to rule out any medical complications. Walking is a great way to increase physical activity after surgery, but it's important to start slowly and gradually increase your activity level over time. Remember to listen to your body and rest when you need to.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:19 AM, Splenda said:

I am also a sandwich lover. Here is what I have found (2.5 months post-op).

I have used Sola bread and Orowheat bread for sandwiches. Both are keto-friendly, meaning they are high in Fiber and Protein and low in carbs. The pieces are small, but they are still 60 calories a slice (Orowheat) or 70 cals/slice (Sola), so that is over 100 calories before you put anything in the bread. You will also need to toast the bread because it helps chew it down and regular bread can "ball up" in your stomach and cause problems. If you use toasted bread and use the sandwich as an occasional meal rather than a staple meal, you should be OK.

I did eat some tuna fish sandwiches for lunch, but it was just tuna fish straight out of the foil packet on toasted Orowheat. I went with tuna for the high Protein content and Omega 3s.

With fries, moderation will absolutely be key. Can you steal 3 fries off someone's plate and eat them without discomfort or throwing off your diet? Yeah. I wouldn't eat a full compliment of them, both because the grease/oil could cause dumping and a fry doesn't have a ton of nutrition. If you are going to eat potatoes, try to eat them baked/boiled with the skin on, to maximize your nutrients.

Can you share which Orowheat bread you use?

On 2/12/2022 at 9:03 AM, SleeverSk said:

I think both of you are trying things way to early, take it slow it's not good for your healing tummy to be forcing these types of foods in this early. Wait until the 6 month mark at least and really even then they are sometimes foods if at all. I loved hot chips and sandwiches too but they are now sometimes foods. Mmmmm nothing better than a fresh bakery bread butter and hot chip sandwich ..........aahhhh 🥪 I still haven't attempted to eat one yet. It's won't benefit your weight loss either to return to your old eating habits and yes it is hard I still struggle with what to eat but we will all get there.

goodness me I should take my own advice!!!!! UGH having bread and hot chips way to often these days, it's a slippery slope people stay away from "indulgent foods" as long as you can. I am battling the steady weigh gain train now :(

On 10/7/2023 at 7:23 PM, MarTheTeacher said:

Can you share which Orowheat bread you use?

https://www.oroweat.com/breads/favorites/keto

(Living in Texas, I discovered HEB Higher Harvest low carb bread and use that now)

On 10/7/2023 at 8:33 PM, SleeverSk said:

goodness me I should take my own advice!!!!! UGH having bread and hot chips way to often these days, it's a slippery slope people stay away from "indulgent foods" as long as you can. I am battling the steady weigh gain train now :(

Don't you hate when your own words come back to get you?? LOL

But I aim to take your advice and stay away from those foods as much as possible, as I have seen that creeping back into them really slows/stops people's weight loss or leads to regain. Just because you can eat a thing, doesn't mean you should I suppose... When I had to go gluten free for about 5 years I found that focusing on what I COULD have and what would nourish me was much wiser than focusing on all that I could NOT have. It became a game to see what new, interesting thing I could try to expand my palette. I discovered a lot of things that I wouldn't have ever tried in my old way of eating. Like charcuterie boards! OMG I love those things, so many little bits of things to try. I found that a few bites of a few things was much more satisfying than a large volume of one thing. I think remembering that post surgery will help a lot...