Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started my purée diet early, oops!

Had my post op yesterday and it went really well, the doctor said I’ve lost a good amount since the surgery and to prepare for my purée diet which was supposed to start Monday. I wanted to tell him I felt 100% ready to start the purée but didn’t mention it. I have not been physically hungry, but physically and mentally tired of drinking just liquid for almost 4 weeks. I truly felt ready to try and eat something and see how my stomach handles it. I ate less than an oz, I won’t start making 2-3 oz meals until Monday, but I did snack on very small amounts of puréed food. Part of me doesn’t feel guilty at all because my stomach has been fine and I’ve had no issues with vomiting since the surgery. The other part feels a little guilt because I was supposed to wait a couple more days. I think I’ll be okay tho. Anyone else been through this?

I did a soft version of this. I was on the clear liquid diet, and toward the end of the first week I began to feel...well, the best way to describe it is "depleted". Run down, no energy, and feeling physical hunger for something a little more nourishing. I ended up "cheating" and drinking a couple small glasses of 1% milk over the following few days, with no issues.

No draconian liquid diets for me. My plan started with 6 weeks of puree, which were effectively my eating plan that would start after week 6 just pureed. I've basically been on the same plan day 1 through day 6,763.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

17 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

No draconian liquid diets for me. My plan started with 6 weeks of puree, which were effectively my eating plan that would start after week 6 just pureed. I've basically been on the same plan day 1 through day 6,763.

Good luck,

Tek

Every surgeon seems to have slightly different rules for the various diet stages--even the pre-surgical diet. I had to do 1 week of Clear Liquids, 3 weeks of puree, weeks 4-12 are "soft foods" and then I get to start eating whatever my body will tolerate at week 13.

16 minutes ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

Every surgeon seems to have slightly different rules for the various diet stages--even the pre-surgical diet. I had to do 1 week of Clear Liquids, 3 weeks of puree, weeks 4-12 are "soft foods" and then I get to start eating whatever my body will tolerate at week 13.

Which is why I advocate following your surgeon's plan.

Once you start choosing what part of your plan you will follow then you are on no plan at all.

I only pointed out that I was on puree from day one to illustrate nothing life shattering will happen if you start it a day or two sooner. Other than it is the first step away from plan, of course.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

my surgeon had me on purees before I even left the hospital, so you're probably fine. Most want you to wait a couple of week, but not all.

On 10/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, catwoman7 said:

my surgeon had me on purees before I even left the hospital, so you're probably fine. Most want you to wait a couple of week, but not all.

Same, I started purée the day after surgery while at the hospital. But it consisted of yogurt and applesauce. Aside from the Protein Shakes and liquids of course. Second week I asked the nurse if I could have puréed Beans and she said yes but eat very slowly to see if it’s too much for my belly.

You haven't done anything horrifying to yourself, don't fret about that. But do stick to the plan. Cheating every now and then is one thing, but as said above, a plan with no follow-through is no plan at all.