Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Surgeries!

1 week from today I have my surgery! I can't believe I actually went through with this program let alone and 1 week from surgery. It's for sure the hardest thing I have ever done. I met with anesthesia on Monday and am meeting with my surgeon tomorrow. I'm down 21 pounds on the liquid diet (I did 3 weeks) and I can't believe it. I have wanted to cheat so many times, last night I sat on my couch and stared at the phone number for my favorite pizza place but I put it down and preoccupied myself with other things. I am determined to make this work.

Anyone else in the home stretch?

Post surgery but saying hi as a fellow Ohio person and I remember vividly doing my own version of staring "at the phone number for my favorite pizza place." The liver shrink was the hardest part IMHO. Congrats on being in the final stretch!

I thought I was near the home stretch, but my clinic has come to a screeching halt with the hospital postponing all non-emergent surgeries again due to the past month's pandemic spike. (sigh)

2 hours ago, muala94 said:

Post surgery but saying hi as a fellow Ohio person and I remember vividly doing my own version of staring "at the phone number for my favorite pizza place." The liver shrink was the hardest part IMHO. Congrats on being in the final stretch!

What part of Ohio? I’m near Cleveland, surgery is at Cleveland Clinic. Hope you are doing well post-op!

34 minutes ago, FutureSylph said:

I thought I was near the home stretch, but my clinic has come to a screeching halt with the hospital postponing all non-emergent surgeries again due to the past month's pandemic spike. (sigh)

I’m so sorry, That’s a huge fear of mine.

4 hours ago, Arual85 said:

What part of Ohio? I’m near Cleveland, surgery is at Cleveland Clinic. Hope you are doing well post-op!

Columbus! Went through OSU. Doing great and hope all is smooth for you as well!

FutureSylph, I'm so sorry. I hope they can reschedule you somewhere else. That's what my surgeon did when the hospital I was initially going to had to cancel all non-emergency electives. Crossing my fingers for you.

I'm on the 22nd. Ten days away. Starting to feel the anxiety knocking, so I'm distracting myself. It's not the surgery itself, I've had two surgeries so far in my life, so I'm not a "nervous flyer". Until now, my WLS has been a bit abstract, and as I head into the final week of pre-op, it's getting super real. Never done anything so life-altering as this, so I've got that "holy crap I'm really doing this" feeling, like I'm getting strapped into the roller-coaster and only just noticed how high it is.

I’m 5 days post op. I’ve had a very difficult day 3 with severe Constipation and cramps. That finally subsided and I’m starting to feel better. I’m still suffering from gas from the surgery but even that’s better now. I was doubting my decision a few days ago and I even asked my doctor “what the hell have I done” but I’m back feeling good about it.

I didn’t do a ton of research and support groups prior to making my decision because I didn’t want to read negative comments. My Mom died two years ago and I saw myself going down the same road so I knew I had to make a change regardless of which direction I went.

14 hours ago, Smanky said:

FutureSylph, I'm so sorry. I hope they can reschedule you somewhere else. That's what my surgeon did when the hospital I was initially going to had to cancel all non-emergency electives. Crossing my fingers for you.

I'm on the 22nd. Ten days away. Starting to feel the anxiety knocking, so I'm distracting myself. It's not the surgery itself, I've had two surgeries so far in my life, so I'm not a "nervous flyer". Until now, my WLS has been a bit abstract, and as I head into the final week of pre-op, it's getting super real. Never done anything so life-altering as this, so I've got that "holy crap I'm really doing this" feeling, like I'm getting strapped into the roller-coaster and only just noticed how high it is.

This. SO MUCH THIS. My surgery is 48 hours from now and I am going through ALL of the emotions REAL fast. I calmed myself down a bit by sitting and typing out my meds list (my doctors colluded to make this super complex for the first week) and what I'm allowed to eat for each of the phases, even though I have a perfectly cromulent pre-typed list from my centre.

2 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

This. SO MUCH THIS. My surgery is 48 hours from now and I am going through ALL of the emotions REAL fast. I calmed myself down a bit by sitting and typing out my meds list (my doctors colluded to make this super complex for the first week) and what I'm allowed to eat for each of the phases, even though I have a perfectly cromulent pre-typed list from my centre.

Hang in there. The other side is ☀️

On 9/1/2021 at 2:13 PM, FutureSylph said:

I had the same thing happen. I was postponed a month. It’s so disappointing and really hard to deal with emotionally. You get your nerve up to do it and then it’s instantly taken away.

11 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

I hear you! Keeping busy is a need when the adrenaline kicks in. Good luck and godspeed! 💪

I had my GB on Sept 8th in Federal Way, WA. My surgeon was GREAT and everything went really well. I was in the hospital overnight and was allowed to go home around noon the next day. The amount of Water that I had to drink in the hospital was pretty rough; I thought I was going to burst open I felt so full! The recovery from the procedure hasn't been as painful as I anticipated, which was a great relief. I expected it to feel similar post-op to my c-sections, which were pretty awful. BUT I wouldn't say that this came even close, being laproscopic. I still get a twinge at 1 incision when I cough or sneeze, but that's all. I had 6 tiny incisions total. I stepped on the scale once (yesterday) since surgery. Down a few already. I'm thrilled with this.

Good luck to all of you who have upcoming procedures.

Edited by elleemann

So my surgery was supposed to be in August but got postponed because of a spike in COVID cases. So now it’s tomorrow. And suddenly I am second guessing myself. I’ve gone too far to back out now, but I am so worried I am making a mistake. I’m self pay and I keep worrying about complications. I guess this is probably normal but I am freaking out a bit.