Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Enhanced sense of smell during pre-op diet? Or am I just smelly 😭

Hey guys! 😁

My surgery (MGB) is scheduled on Monday 30/08 and I have been on a strict Protein Shake + water/tea/coffee/broth diet since Monday.
I haven’t cheated at all and am really proud of myself! 😁

NOW… the thing is… ever since a couple of days (since approx. day 4) I feel like I smell HORRIBLE. My pits REEK? Like a mix of chicken broth and sweat 😬 (I know.. TMI) When I asked my husband he smelled me like a dog and told me I’m being ridiculous. He couldn’t smell anything really, but I have found him significantly smellier than usual these past days too 😭

I am now wondering if this diet makes you smellier? Or if it increases your sense of smell?
For the love of god, if it does make you smellier, can someone please tell me that it goes away after a while? 😬

It’s driving me a little crazy because I don’t want to lie there on the operating table smelling like chickeny sweat 😥

I think it intensifies some people's sense of smell. I remember my mother being in my hospital room with her usual perfume. I thought I was going to DIE from the smell of that perfume!

also, my sense of taste intensified - at least for awhile. Sweet things tasted sweeter - spicy things tasted spicier. And since taste is related to smell, that was probably what was going on with that, too

so long way of saying - yes - it does seem to intensify the sense of smell in some people.

Edited by catwoman7

Hi there Summermoose. You might be in ketosis. That can cause some smells.

It totally does, PLUS you're likely in ketosis. I'm having the same problem... death farts and dead-animal breath.

I’d say ketosis too. When on a low calorie diet, your body starts to break down your fat for the energy it needs - ketosis. As the fat breaks down keytones are produced. These cause the unpleasant odours as they escape the body via sweat, saliva & urine hence the bad breath, bad body odour & for many women a smelly crotch. It can be really embarrassing.

Apparently keeping your Water consumption up can help - dilutes the odour & flushes it from your body more quickly. It does improve when your body adjusts to fat burning but it just takes time. I found it only lasted a couple of days after my surgery & was much milder than when I was on a low calorie diet a couple of years before - I was a walking stink bomb then. 😱 Presume I adjusted more quickly because my body had experienced it before. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Shower regularly, reapply deodorant frequently, maybe get some body wipes for quick refreshes during the day & keep breath mints handy.

Thanks guys! I’m relieved to hear it’ll go away and that I’m not going crazy 😁

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!