Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!
I would love some help from everyone I am 10 weeks post op and 1 day. I am only down 22 lbs from surgery and 31 lbs down in all. I see other people story and they are losing way more than that. Here is my breakdown

I eat shrimp, chicken and lots of veggies my snack (if I can eat one) is a the skinny pop one bag

I do weight lifting at the gym 5 times a week not a lot of cardio

I am 5’4 and I’m 25 so I’m not understanding why my weight loss is so slow. Sometimes I even gain back a lb or 2 and then it goes away I’m stuck someone please help!!!

Maybe if you share what your starting weight is? For example: say you are starting at a lower BMI and thus a lower weight such as if you're starting BMI is 40 or your starting weight was 233 pounds then l would tell you that 22 pounds in 10 weeks is really fantastic for the weight you started at because that means that you lost almost 10% of your total body weight in those 10 weeks. If you start at a lower weight then you can't compare your weight to someone who started like me at 389 pounds because I would have needed to lose 37 pounds to equal the same percentage of weight loss as your 22 pounds. Comparing your weight loss to people who started at a higher weight is going to do nothing more than drive you insane! Trust me, you don't want to do that! We all lose at different rates because we all have different circumstances and each of our bodies works different.

Also, daily weight fluctuations is 100% normal. You can expect your daily weight to be different on average of a 2-5 pound difference due to Fluid retention, or your bowels being full. Hell, even inflammation or an upcoming or current period can cause your scale to have a higher number than you want to see. I had to deal with my hypothroidism causing more stalls than anyone I've ever seen on this site ever mention (literally went into one at least once a month from month three post-op to now. My longest one lasted 47 days) and yet I was still able to reach my goal weight. I've been in a stall since I reached my goal weight, admittedly, but I'm still weighing in at 179 (was 179.4 today, despite the fact that I had physical therapy just three days ago and am having a TON of inflammation and hip pain because of my arthritis, AND just started my period, tmi, sorry). I used to drive myself absolute crazy comparing myself to others wondering why my weight loss was so damn slow compared to everyone else and I hope you don't do that to yourself! If you keep with the dieting guidelines, and keep up the hard work, then your body will get there. It may just take more time then you expected, but you can do it!

Please try not to compare yourself and your progress to anyone else. We really do lose weight at our own bodies pace, and so trying to match someone else is just going to drive you up a wall! You will stress yourself out and my PCP warned me that stress can cause weight loss stalls (maybe that's why I had so many lol. I get stressed out wayyyy too easily!).

Anyway, I'm sorry that you're stressing out! It's pretty normal, I think. To stress out and think your weight loss is slow, I mean. I think many of us unintentionally thought we'd have weight loss like 'My 600 pound Life' despite the fact that none of us were that big. It's unrealistic to compare oneself to that since we generally have nowhere near as much weight to lose. Personally, I think you're off to a great start in your journey and I really wish you all the best!

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error

rate of weight loss varies so much between people depending on so many factors that it's pointless to compare yourself to others. I was a slow loser, and I started at almost 400 lbs. People who start at a low BMI (for a WLS patient) are pretty much ALWAYS slow losers. What was your starting BMI?

if you're following your program and keeping active, that's pretty much all you can do. You can't control your gender, age, metabolic rate, genetics, starting BMI, etc - and those will all influence your rate of weight loss. If you stick to the plan, you WILL lose the weight, whether fast or slow.

Do you track the food you are eating? Making sure you are getting enough Protein while staying low carb? Also, you’re weight lifting 5 days a week and muscle weighs more than fat. You might be losing fat and replacing it with muscle.
Maybe go by inches lost or how clothing fits rather than how much weight you lost.

Edited by SarahMan80

I definitely think everyone is different, but for sure if you are weightlifting 5 times a week, your gaining muscle so your weight won’t go down as fast because of that

On 8/6/2021 at 6:56 PM, NovaLuna said:

Maybe if you share what your starting weight is? For example: say you are starting at a lower BMI and thus a lower weight such as if you're starting BMI is 40 or your starting weight was 233 pounds then l would tell you that 22 pounds in 10 weeks is really fantastic for the weight you started at because that means that you lost almost 10% of your total body weight in those 10 weeks. If you start at a lower weight then you can't compare your weight to someone who started like me at 389 pounds because I would have needed to lose 37 pounds to equal the same percentage of weight loss as your 22 pounds. Comparing your weight loss to people who started at a higher weight is going to do nothing more than drive you insane! Trust me, you don't want to do that! We all lose at different rates because we all have different circumstances and each of our bodies works different.

Also, daily weight fluctuations is 100% normal. You can expect your daily weight to be different on average of a 2-5 pound difference due to Fluid retention, or your bowels being full. Hell, even inflammation or an upcoming or current period can cause your scale to have a higher number than you want to see. I had to deal with my hypothroidism causing more stalls than anyone I've ever seen on this site ever mention (literally went into one at least once a month from month three post-op to now. My longest one lasted 47 days) and yet I was still able to reach my goal weight. I've been in a stall since I reached my goal weight, admittedly, but I'm still weighing in at 179 (was 179.4 today, despite the fact that I had physical therapy just three days ago and am having a TON of inflammation and hip pain because of my arthritis, AND just started my period, tmi, sorry). I used to drive myself absolute crazy comparing myself to others wondering why my weight loss was so damn slow compared to everyone else and I hope you don't do that to yourself! If you keep with the dieting guidelines, and keep up the hard work, then your body will get there. It may just take more time then you expected, but you can do it!

Please try not to compare yourself and your progress to anyone else. We really do lose weight at our own bodies pace, and so trying to match someone else is just going to drive you up a wall! You will stress yourself out and my PCP warned me that stress can cause weight loss stalls (maybe that's why I had so many lol. I get stressed out wayyyy too easily!).

Anyway, I'm sorry that you're stressing out! It's pretty normal, I think. To stress out and think your weight loss is slow, I mean. I think many of us unintentionally thought we'd have weight loss like 'My 600 pound Life' despite the fact that none of us were that big. It's unrealistic to compare oneself to that since we generally have nowhere near as much weight to lose. Personally, I think you're off to a great start in your journey and I really wish you all the best!

Hello!

First I want to start off by saying THANK YOU for this post I needed this, shoot I need people to speak to that may have or is experiencing the same as me. Okay now to answer some of your questions.

My starting weight before surgery was 312.8

My day of surgery is 306.4

My BMI the day of surgery was 49.1

Today weight is 380.0

Also yes I do that a lot I comparing my weight loss to others. I am just so ready for it to all be off, this week I am switching up my workout routine and only doing cardio because I was told that I am not even suppose to be lifting weights. Also I am going to change my eating up and cook some of my veggies and do some shrimp.

Also it wasn't TMI we are women here, don't be embarrassed about what we have to go through on a daily basis's. Also BIG CONGRATS on reaching your goal!

On 8/7/2021 at 6:48 AM, catwoman7 said:

rate of weight loss varies so much between people depending on so many factors that it's pointless to compare yourself to others. I was a slow loser, and I started at almost 400 lbs. People who start at a low BMI (for a WLS patient) are pretty much ALWAYS slow losers. What was your starting BMI?

if you're following your program and keeping active, that's pretty much all you can do. You can't control your gender, age, metabolic rate, genetics, starting BMI, etc - and those will all influence your rate of weight loss. If you stick to the plan, you WILL lose the weight, whether fast or slow.

Thank you, and my starting BMI was 49.1 and yes I am going to stop lifting and focus on cardio for the rest of the month.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:27 AM, SarahMan80 said:

Do you track the food you are eating? Making sure you are getting enough Protein while staying low carb? Also, you’re weight lifting 5 days a week and muscle weighs more than fat. You might be losing fat and replacing it with muscle.
Maybe go by inches lost or how clothing fits rather than how much weight you lost.

Thank you!

Yes, so I did lose a lot of inches. My waist was 42 1/2 inches and went down to 40 inches.

My Fupa was 46 1/2 inches and went down to 42 inches.

So yes, I did lose inches just the weight is still on.

I am sometimes confused on how many calories I am suppose to eat because my metabolism is up but I do get full fast, really fast.

But I am going to do cardio for the rest of this month and give yall an update on 08/30/2021

On 8/7/2021 at 3:50 PM, Mari6985m said:

I definitely think everyone is different, but for sure if you are weightlifting 5 times a week, your gaining muscle so your weight won’t go down as fast because of that

Thank you, I am starting to realize that maybe whats going on. I am going to just do cardio for the rest of the month and update you ladies at the end of the month.