Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a very successful sleeve surgery five years ago. I was so happy with the results. As I approached 40 I had a surprise pregnancy! As you can imagine this changed my body quite a bit. My child was born right at the cusp of the declaration of the pandemic and I have put on a lot of weight. No matter how I eat, no matter how little I’m eating, my body and hormones seem to want to hold onto the weight. At any rate, being a middle-age woman with a one year old means I need to take Care of my health, and I am seeking to get a revision from the sleeve to a mini gastric bypass. I’ll be paying cash and intending to have my surgery in Tijuana, although if you know someone great in Cancun which is much closer let me know!

I’m really overwhelmed attempting to research doctors and hospitals in Tijuana. A surprising majority have a very high rating on Google maps and reviews. I don’t really know where else to look. So I am asking for recommendations that might narrow down my search. I am especially interested in hearing from people who have had this revision from sleeve to mini gastric.

My goal is to have the surgery within the next 6 to 8 weeks so it’s really important I find somebody good. Please help!

I am going to dr. verboonen in TJ and my surgery is on the 26th. :) My coordinator Sheri is so beyond helpful and communicative! He has an office in TJ and in Cancun!

Edited by dwaite

1 hour ago, dwaite said:

I am going to Dr. verboonen in TJ and my surgery is on the 26th. :) My coordinator Sheri is so beyond helpful and communicative! He has an office in TJ and in Cancun!

If you would be so kind as to keep me posted about this doctor; I actually live in Mexico but on the other side. This particular doctor has a once a month visit to my area to perform bariatric surgeries but I couldn’t really find any solid info on him. I would love to hear about your experience with Dr. VIf you would be so kind as to keep me posted about this doctor; I actually live in Mexico but on the other side. This particular doctor has a once a month visit to my area to perform bariatric surgeries but I couldn’t really find any solid info on him. I would love to hear about your experience with Dr. V

8 hours ago, FlamazingBypassLife said:

I used Elias Ortiz and had a treat experience back in Many. There were also 2 nurse practitioners who were getting surgery in my same group so I thought that spoke volumes.

Great! Thank you. I know it hasn’t been long but how do you feel and is your surgery serving your goals? Do you recall the name of the center? I’d like to do some research.

Dr. Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center (OCC) is a wonderful place. Going back for my second surgery there.

I had my VSG by dr ortiz at OCC in 2019. At the time he mostly did VSG and dis not do Mini Gastric Bypass. Can you tell me how much he charged you for the MGB and why you decided to get revisional surgery? I am not happy with the VSG results, I am always hungry. This issue is really affecting my life and peace of mind. Also I am still 30 lbs overweight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am going in one weld or my MGB revision with Dr Ortiz at EOC!
Did you have your MGB ? How did it go? How much was the fed?

On 3/26/2022 at 7:29 AM, Ninabnina77 said:

I had my VSG by dr ortiz at OCC in 2019. At the time he mostly did VSG and dis not do Mini Gastric Bypass. Can you tell me how much he charged you for the MGB and why you decided to get revisional surgery? I am not happy with the VSG results, I am always hungry. This issue is really affecting my life and peace of mind. Also I am still 30 lbs overweight.

Hello, I’m scheduled with dr Ortiz for a vsg in may. I’m curious about your experience if you don’t mind sharing. Thank you!

Dr Ariel Ortiz at OCC 😉

Hi, my surgery went well. Dr. Ortiz is great at his craft. Most of the staff are fluent at English and the facility is nice and clean. They will take good care of you. Dr. Ortiz and OCC are on the pricey side when it comes to bariatric surgery in Tijuana. They promise up to 5 yrs of nutritionist counseling which I found useless. Their nutritionist there really does not do much. Infact I am very disappointed as I feel like they never provided the a more structured guideline to how what you post op diet after your stomach heals should be. They never told me how calories I should have per day, how many ounces of food I should eat per meal. Every time I would ask, the answer was there is no limit as long as I meet my Protein goal foe the day. Well that did not work for me. part of the reason why I paid extra to go to occ was to get better support post op with my diet, and unfortunately I don't feel like that was true. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions. Have you scheduled your surgery yet?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, Ninabnina77 said:

Hi, my surgery went well. Dr. Ortiz is great at his craft. Most of the staff are fluent at English and the facility is nice and clean. They will take good care of you. Dr. Ortiz and OCC are on the pricey side when it comes to bariatric surgery in Tijuana. They promise up to 5 yrs of nutritionist counseling which I found useless. Their nutritionist there really does not do much. Infact I am very disappointed as I feel like they never provided the a more structured guideline to how what you post op diet after your stomach heals should be. They never told me how calories I should have per day, how many ounces of food I should eat per meal. Every time I would ask, the answer was there is no limit as long as I meet my Protein goal foe the day. Well that did not work for me. part of the reason why I paid extra to go to OCC was to get better support post op with my diet, and unfortunately I don't feel like that was true. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions. Have you scheduled your surgery yet?

Thank you so much for this info! I am getting the sleeve on May 20. I chose OCC because of the great reviews, accreditation, and the follow-up post surgery nutrition info. Are you getting the mini-bypass at OCC? What would you do differently on the nutrition side if you were now getting sleeve? Would you get sleeve or Judy go right to bypass? Thank you again - you’re the first person I’ve met that went to OCC?

I really feel like OCC failed me in the nutritionist department, especially since one of the reasons I payed so much more money to go to them was because the promise 5 years of post op nutritionist support. No I am not getting the mini bypass at occ. I have been considering Dr Illian or Dr Rutledge (The creator of the MGB) for the mini gastric bypass. Now I heard about Dr. Ponce, kind of looking into her too. To tell you the truth I am debating on the gastric bypass and the mini gastric bypass. I don't know which one I will choose. If I had to do it again I would have gone straight for the bypass or the MGB. I am a binge eater and I am always hungry after doing the VSG, because of this I think I would have benefited from getting the byor the MGB from thr beginning. If I could have done it differently, I wish I could have e gotten my surgery here in the USA. My friends who got their surgery here in the USA all get south support pre and post op from their doctors and the staff. The support they get is amazing. The one thing I would do differently this time when or if I get the revision is work out a lot post op. I struggled with lack of energy and enthusiasm and did not work out post vsg. As far as the diet goes, IDK, I am still trying to figure this part out. I hope the next Dr. I chose for revisional surgery's office will provide better support when it comes to nutrition and diet post op. Or if they dont, and I have not paid extra for it, I wonfeel this bad. As far as Dr. Ortiz goes, I highly recommend him, he is super sweet and an excellent surgeon. Sorry for the delay in reply, this app doez not show that I have new messages, I some how found your comment back to my post accidentally.

Just had the sleeve on May 19th! Doing pretty well so far