Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issues with Carb Consumption (9wks Post VSG)

Has anyone had issues with the majority of carb based food intolerances? It seems like the farther out from surgery I am, the more issues with even tiny amounts of carbs I have. Things like rice (white or brown, literally 1-2tbs), Pasta (protein, reg, or veggie based) any type of bread being Keto and high Fiber or regular old whole wheat, oatmeal, or most crackers cause me to vomit or get the “foamies” very quickly. I did not vomit one time until I started my Whole Foods/normal diet. I can tolerate some potatoes, and crackers (wheat thins for some reason in particular). I always eat these with Protein and lower fats and never had any issues prior to surgery or food allergies. My calories are in the 850-950 range and I get 80-100g of protein a day, I do not have my carbs low enough to be in ketosis. I tolerate almost all Proteins very well from fish to beef to dairy. The only exception being lean ground beef patties and some chicken breast preparations. Veggies are also tolerated well as well as fats.

I don’t have any issues with carbs. I am 12 weeks out and have even tolerated pizza without issue. I sorta wish I had your problem though. I am not a sweet person. Carbs are my kryptonite.

On 06/04/2021 at 17:52, ShoppGirl said:

I don’t have any issues with carbs. I am 12 weeks out and have even tolerated pizza without issue. I sorta wish I had your problem though. I am not a sweet person. Carbs are my kryptonite.

I keep trying to look at it as a positive in terms of “bad” carbs that I can’t handle. It’s frustrating at times trying to hit daily goals for macros and only having a few different carb choices I can tolerate. Even “healthy” versions like low carb wraps or tortillas cause vomiting within 20mins :(

9 minutes ago, Soon2bFit21 said:

I keep trying to look at it as a positive in terms of “bad” carbs that I can’t handle. It’s frustrating at times trying to hit daily goals for macros and only having a few different carb choices I can tolerate. Even “healthy” versions like low carb wraps or tortillas cause vomiting within 20mins :(

Ooh no. I’m so sorry. Hopefully it’s just temporary. The more I think about it, it really could be just temporary (the wraps and bread at least) because bread was one thing that was listed is often not tolerated well for several months (rice was on the list as well). I forgot because I tried them and did fine but many people do not. I think my book said two-four months out it may cause issues. Toasted bread and crackers will be tolerated easier than untoasted bread and rice. It’s because they are Gummy like paste even after they are chewed. So I would wait a couple weeks and try crackers or toast again before any of the other stuff.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Yes, most of those are well-known problem foods for WLS patients. My program says no rice, Pasta, bread, or tortillas for at least the first year. Rice is hard to eat because it absorbs Water and swells up in the stomach, which is uncomfortable when you have such a small stomach. Many WLS patients say that pasta sits in the stomach like a rock, and bread can form a lump that is hard to digest.

My program was no bread, Pasta or rice or any other processed carbs as well. My program was strongly protein first then nutritionally dense foods. Processed carbs like bread, pasta, etc. are generally considered nutritionally poor. But there are lots of different plans about.

For the first couple of months all I could eat was my Protein & maybe a couple of Beans or a small cauliflower floret at a meal. I couldn’t imagine even trying to eat a heavy carb that swells in your small tummy & fills you up more. Actually that could be why you have the foamies - too much in your tummy & it’s literally oozing up as the bread, rice, etc. swells.

I’m two years out & I still can’t eat bread, pasta or rice. They sit like dead weights in my tummy. Mashed potato is the same. Doesn’t bother me though. If I want pasta I eat fresh zucchini noodles. I tried plant based pasta but it filled me up too quickly.

I was able to eat rolled oats from very early out & still eat them very regularly. I also can eat multi or whole grain crackers (vita wheat multi grain crackers & wholegrain rice crackers). I eat these as a snack.

Everyone is quite individual in what they are able or unable to tolerate. What I can eat successfully, you may not. What you can’t tolerate now, you may be able to eat successfully in time.

The carbs may just be too heavy for your tummy to handle at nine weeks out.

Edited by Arabesque

On 06/04/2021 at 22:42, Arabesque said:

My program was no bread, Pasta or rice or any other processed carbs as well. My program was strongly protein first then nutritionally dense foods. Processed carbs like bread, Pasta, etc. are generally considered nutritionally poor. But there are lots of different plans about.

For the first couple of months all I could eat was my Protein & maybe a couple of Beans or a small cauliflower floret at a meal. I couldn’t imagine even trying to eat a heavy carb that swells in your small tummy & fills you up more. Actually that could be why you have the foamies - too much in your tummy & it’s literally oozing up as the bread, rice, etc. swells.

I’m two years out & I still can’t eat bread, pasta or rice. They sit like dead weights in my tummy. Mashed potato is the same. Doesn’t bother me though. If I want pasta I eat fresh zucchini noodles. I tried plant based pasta but it filled me up too quickly.

I was able to eat rolled oats from very early out & still eat them very regularly. I also can eat multi or whole grain crackers (vita wheat multi grain crackers & wholegrain rice crackers). I eat these as a snack.

Everyone is quite individual in what they are able or unable to tolerate. What I can eat successfully, you may not. What you can’t tolerate now, you may be able to eat successfully in time.

The carbs may just be too heavy for your tummy to handle at nine weeks out.

My plan wanted me to introduce bread in small amounts as well as brown rice and crackers when I was at the 4 wk mark and on solid foods/normal diet.

I definitely agree with you that some can’t handle these so quickly after surgery. I did find it odd that it was recommended but I was trying to follow as close as possible to my plan goals. I’ve since realized that there’s no way I can do this and not vomit multiple times a day. I suppose it’s also been a bit of a mind twister for me not being able to follow my plan 100% to a T like I was before. I am showing good progress and am down almost 47lbs at 9wks. I just worry I might now have the right progress if I’m not following it strictly.

9 minutes ago, Soon2bFit21 said:

I just worry I might now have the right progress if I’m not following it strictly.

I know we all say to follow your plan but you have to make allowances for how your body reacts. One of the reasons your team suggests to reintroduce carbs maybe for the fibre but you can find fibre in vegetables & fruit. Or you can add soluble, non swelling, fibre to your diet. (I added Benefibre.)

It’s better not to eat something that makes you vomit cause you’re just bringing up a lot of the calories & nutrients your body needs that you just ate.

If you’re concerned have a chat with your dietician/nutritionalist.

Still have a very hard time with carbs at 9 months out. If I eat them, it makes me so full that I end up feeling really sick. I am talking only eating one spoonful of rice, or Pasta, etc. I just don't bother trying to eat it anymore.

On 06/04/2021 at 23:38, Arabesque said:

I know we all say to follow your plan but you have to make allowances for how your body reacts. One of the reasons your team suggests to reintroduce carbs maybe for the fibre but you can find fibre in vegetables & fruit. Or you can add soluble, non swelling, fibre to your diet. (I added Benefibre.)

It’s better not to eat something that makes you vomit cause you’re just bringing up a lot of the calories & nutrients your body needs that you just ate.

If you’re concerned have a chat with your dietician/nutritionalist.

I do get a good amount of fiber from vegetables and some fruit, so I’m not too worried about the fiber aspect. Honestly, there’s a lot of “you have to do this because it’s on the plan” and then I can’t get a real explanation as to why from the dietitians. This has been a constant issue since I first started my pre op so at this point, I feel like I’d rather ask on here to see what people have experienced. I feel like the NUT is just used to people not asking questions or having to give any real answers. It’s extremely frustrating.