Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The longest plateau ever

Hello. I haven’t posted in awhile since I expressed some issues I was having with my personal life. I’m starting to move from what felt like a 4-5 month plateau. I think a few things happened to make me hit a plateau. The biggest one was Christmas and eating Desserts. I discovered that while I had poor tolerance for food my stomach pouch was able to tolerate chocolate and ice cream treats. I have not gained weight but I did not lose either. I’m starting to lose again because I gradually have been increasing my exercise, increasing Water intake and working on my sugar addiction every day. I’m listening to podcasts on sugar addiction as well as reading books on the subject. I’m still susceptible to eating sweets but I am staying aware of what I am doing instead of just blinding myself to the pull of sugar. This is not as easy as I thought it would be although I am glad I lost around 57 pounds since August. I’m going to try every single day to take care of myself. It’s not what I am used to doing but I can see that paying attention to myself will make me get better. I did this for me. I did this so I could have a better life and not be stuck in a bed or on a recliner waiting for the next meal. I have to reclaim my time like they do on the floor of Congress. 😆

it gets harder the closer you get to your goal. I've gained 10 lbs since the pandemic started and am now six lbs overweight. It is a BEAR to get the scale to move. I basically can't eat anything that puts me over my daily 1700 calorie limit, or I stay put or start going up. My brother was here for a week which involved some restaurant eating and more treats than usual (even though I had no "blow outs"). Of course, my weight shot up. It's a lifelong struggle...

I think you’re right. It is harder the closer you get to the goal. I readjusted my goal for now to make it easier to achieve. I originally wanted to get down to about 127 lbs but I revised my goal weight twice. First I made it 150 but now I adjusted it to 175. As I reach the smaller goals I will strive for the next point of achievement.

I can totally relate to what you're saying about the sweets. My stomach can tolerate Desserts and sugar (unfortunately!) so I get sugar cravings, but I am now trying to stay away from all sugar. Easier said than done, but I'm determined. I too have hit a plateau, and eating sugar and carbs sure doesn't help!