Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started my liquid diet today, surgery is May 4th. I was fine until I wasn’t, all I want is salty food because the Protein Shakes satisfy the sweet tooth. I’m also supposed to have fruit juice with the shakes as part of my programs diet, but that just seems crazy. So much sugar! Does anyone else’s program have them with 3 Protein shakes and 24oz of fruit juice a day? I’m getting paranoid about it that it’s not gonna do anything.

our program discourages fruit juice, even years out, so that's a little unusual...

I've heard of some people eating pickles or drinking pickle just to deal with salt cravings. Also, we were allowed to have broth and V8/tomato juice - both of those are pretty salty..

Yeah, my program does not allow fruit juice either. When I need to satisfy my sweet craving I'll have a sugar free ice pop or grape flavored Crystal light. But I had to ditch ALL my juices when I started pre-op. And broth really helps with my salt cravings. Although I am trying to limit having broth because I don't want to get sick of it before I start my liquid only! :)

Unjury makes a chicken flavored Protein Powder that isn't completely terrible, but I prefer plain broth to counter the sweet. No fruit juice on my pre-op diet at all. I can have some low fat cottage cheese and greek yogurt though.

I am Protein Shake, bariatric Soups, and sugar-free liquids only. I am on day 10 of the pre-op diet, and I agree, the Protein Shakes are so sweet. I can only handle 2 a day. I add unflavored Protein powder (GenPro) to my soups to get enough protein. Good Luck with your surgery—I am the day before, so I will be thinking of you from my hospital room!

48 minutes ago, Tor_deTummy said:

My program has us do 3 Protein Shakes and 3 cups of 100% fruit juice, and according to the program dietician it is to help make sure blood sugar is maintained and to prevent patients from becoming ketogenic while on the diet.

hmmm...that's interesting. On my program they actually WANTED us to become ketogenic during the pre-op diet. Places are so different!

Are you allowed yogurt? I mixed ranch dressing seasoning with plain Greek yogurt to make a ranch dip which I just ate with a spoon but that and pickles were my savory go on on my pre op diet (mine wasn’t all liquid the whole time).

I used the seasoning packets from ramen noodles to make broth because they’re so salty and just threw the noodles away.

11 minutes ago, Jnfinney said:

I used the seasoning packets from ramen noodles to make broth because they’re so salty and just threw the noodles away.

I bought some Swanson's sipping broths today, which are chicken bone broths. They have 9 grams of Protein in an 8oz serving, which is great. Not a lot of flavor in the plain chicken though. I added quite a bit of Morton's Nature's Seasoning and it wasn't half bad. Next time I'll try the Rosemary Lemon and see if it has a little more flavor.

1 minute ago, lmsrny5 said:

3 Protein Shakes, 4oz of lean meat/substitute and 2 cups raw veggies per day. Clear Liquids throughout day- can include diet juice. I’m day 8 and ketogenic. Half way there!

Way to go! I'm on day 3 and it IS getting easier.

The first 4 days were challenging and I was very grumpy and tired. Still don’t have much energy but not feeling hunger much. I’m hardly getting 700 calories a day when my diet says no more than 1200. No idea how someone can get to 1200 on what I’m allowed to have. Surgery is next Friday :)

I did v8 on my preop diet and that helped with salt. I also had miso broth (got a thing called minute miso that worked great).