Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Some problems after surgery

I was just banded on Tuesday and have been having kind of a rough time. The surgery went well and I was home the same day. I slept good that night but on Wednesday night, I woke up in terrible pain. Spent that night and until 3pm the next day in the emergency room. They did a cat scan and bloodwork. Turns out, it was terrible gas pains and Constipation brought on by the pain meds. My Dr. forgot to mention that this would happen. I was finally able to get things moving yesterday afternoon. I have stopped taking pain meds except for Tylenol.

I feel somewhat better but I have no appetite at all. I am supposed to drink 4 Protein Shakes and a lot of Water. Yesterday, it was all I could do to drink one Protein shake and maybe a small bottle of water. Today I got through one and a half Protein shakes and about 20oz of water. Anyone else have this problem? It is painful for me to drink anymore. My stomach doesn't feel good and it has been contantly cramping and gurgling since the surgery. Like it is preparing to eat but I am not hungry. Please, what can I do about the Protein Shake thing? I feel weak and sometimes a little dizzy and I think it is because I am not getting enough nutrition. Help!!:help:

All the pain and discomfort you are feeling are all normal. To bad your doctor didnt warn you. The discomfort will last about 5 days.

As for you not being able to finsih protien shakes that is totally normal also. I couldnt even drink Protein shakes they were to think. I drank the Special K Protein Water.

Happy loosing!:clap2:

The constant stomach cramps are normal? I feel like me stomach is always clenching and making noise. It is really uncomfortable. I thought they would stop after a few days but they still hurt. Today I got a little more in to drink but it is really a struggle. I just want to feel normal again! :P

The stomach pain from the gas is probably the worst. Also port site pain. The gas pain might even move into your shoulder and that hurts too. The very best thing you can do to help that is to get the gas moving. Walk as much as you can and use a heating pad. Also, gas-x strips are really good. They knock out a lot of that pain.

I was banded on 11/30 and I'm still dealing with the gas. My doc told me that it's the gas that they use to blow up your tummy during surgery. It has to absorb itself into your body and that can take some time (also the pain meds can make your gas pains worse if your sensitive to tylenol).

Too bad your doc didnt tell you all of this. There's a lot of info on the boards about this.

It's all perfectly normal and you WILL feel better in a few days. Don't push too hard on the liquids. The first couple of weeks are the hardest, also because your tummy is swollen.

Hang in there...it really does get better.:clap2:

I had my surgery on December 6th, and am having similar problems with stomach cramping, throbbing stomach pain, referred pain to my left shoulder, and port pain. I'm getting the shakes down okay, but every swallow causes my stomach to cramp. Nice to know it will be over soon. I had also been wondering if there was something wrong with me...like maybe I did too much the day after surgery or something. I want to walk on my treadmill (this day 3 after surgery), but am still in some pain. Is there anyone who exercised right away and felt better? MK

I was just banded on Weds. The gas pain was horrible. The interesting thing is that each day gets significantly better. The pain meds were making me groggy and miserable so I switch to 8 hour Tylenol. For me the key was trying to sleep as much as I could. Being unconscious made it easier.

Part of your pain is likely from pushing to drink the suggested amounts. Sip steadily, but don't push to a point of feeling like you are overloading your stomach I would suggest.

Slowly the amount you can take in will adjust, and the pain will lessen as the swelling goes down. It IS important to get proper nutrition, but sometimes you need a couple days just for healing, then you can move on with much less pain.

Give your stomach a chance to really relax, and settle down--sip steadily, but don't push it.

Walk as much as you can--even short walks, stroll around the house every hour....stay where you have something for support, since you are not getting much nutrition you might get a little light headed. Walk, sip, walk, sip.....repeat! Over and over again! It cannot be said enough! And as soon as you can up the Protein some so that you feel more energetic---and soon all these post surgery issues will be behind you!

Hang in there, and welcome to bandland all you recent bandsters!! Glad you're here!

Kat

Thanks to all for the answers. I knew there would be some gas pain because if what I read on the boards, I just didn't realize it would affect me so much. Plus, I never read of anyone else having stomach cramps. My stomach clenches and then releases and make gurgling noises. They really hurt actually. I have been trying to sleep tonight but my stomach won't let me. Sometimes it feels like there is no end to this. I really hope the cramps end soon! I took a gas-x pill and am hoping that will relieve some of the cramping. I just want to sleep!

My doctor did explain the gas pains, but it's still nice to hear that I'm not the only one. I had surgery last monday 12/3/07.

I'm really not enjoying the shakes - any suggestions? I've tried mixing them with yogurt and milk and ice, etc.. and even a little fat free chocolate Syrup, but they really don't taste great. It's hard getting down 40grm of Protein daily.

P.S. I

I don't think the pain meds brought on the gas. Nearly everyone gets that, pain meds or no. Of course pain meds are notorious for giving some people terrible Constipation. It didn't bother me though. But the gas...oh yeah...big time pain. I was expecting it so when it hit I just started fartin, burping, eating gas-X, holding my heating pad, and walking all over the place. That's why it pays to read everything before you go in. I anticipated the gas, and also anticipated constipation (which I didn't get, though I had supplies just in case). Being forwarned is being forarmed. You can't do too much research!

My doctor said the gas pain is caused by the actual surgery itself. they pump gas into you to bloat your stomache during surgery and it makes it easier to perform. Most of the gas escapes during surgery, but most of the time there is still a gas bubble stuck inside, and it can take a few days to disapate. Walking is your best friend when you have these pains; I was banded yesterday and when I'm moving the pain is much easier to tolerate. The pain meds themselves are what causes the Constipation, but if you're getting in all your fluids it shouldn't be too bad.

I myself had some trouble sleeping last night, I woke up every hour and tossed and turned a lot. Hence me posting at 5:30am! My pharmacy only had a small bottle of the liquid narcotics yesterday, and It only held 2.5 doses! they don't open for another 3 hours, and I am in terrible pain! I need my drugs and I'm so angry that is all they could give me!

Tke care!! :phanvan

You are right on track. Anyone going from tons of food (calories and carbs) then diets.... they can get light headed, feel weird, etc.

When I diet my family knows not to bother me the first 3 days. Same with the band...your body is going to go through withdrawal symptoms.

Hang in there!

i was baned on dec 4 in mexico, and the only symtem i have had is the gas pains and shoulder pain, the best thing i found to help is walking i walk around the hospital for two full days and feel great now, hope this helps