Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've never been diagnosed with GERD. but from what I've read online, and everything going on personally I suspect I may have it or a haitel hernia. I just recently moved and don't have a pcp nor do I have medical insurance so not sure what to do on finding one near me in Texas. I plan on going to Tijuana for surgery. I have a few doctors that I'm interested in. My question is this.. with what I've experienced above potentially having Gerd. Same thing happens to me that those with Gerd have. But when I was 30 lbs lighter it never happened. I talked with my nutritionist and she said I should be fine if I get the sleeve BUT I don't want a revision and the rny scares the crap put of me since I already have stomach issues. I guess what I'm getting at, is if you had Gerd and were planning the sleeve what made you switch? I know there's like a 45% chance it gets worse after with it. I don't want to have to do a revision. I'm just nervous with them moving things around instead of just taking the stomach mostly out.

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

Im currently in the waiting period for a surgery date for gastric bypass. I did not want to have gastric bypass but was told that because of the hiatal hernia and GERD that was my best option to fix the hernia and reduce the reflux. From what my surgeon told me they don't take the stomach out but use it for the stomach acid so its not all in the pouch. He told me that the sleeve-which I wanted-was not an option because it usually makes the GERD worse. I hear you about being nervous and everyday I question it and I am worried. I just know that being maxed out on all the heartburn meds and still having unbearable reflux and not being able to sleep because of it that it was worth it for me to move forward.

I have heartburn/GERD. Initially my surgeon recommended the sleeve, but we ended up getting an endoscopy since I'm self pay and we wanted to be sure that was the right choice. The endoscopy showed I have a hiatal hernia. While it could be fixed, according to the surgeon's office, there was a higher chance I'd have to get a revision to RNY later down the line. So, since it's quite a bit of money, I am going ahead with RNY.

Gerd suffers are usually advised against sleeve surgery so first you have to find out if you do have gerd & its severity. That will then influence your decision as to which surgery.

I had mild gerd before my sleeve surgery. My surgeon still recommended the sleeve for me because it was mild & was aggravated by stress, spicy, fatty or rich foods & carbonated drinks. I also generally managed it with diet & only took an esomeprazole occasionally (go for months without needing too). Post surgery, my gerd is different (no bad taste in my mouth but occasionally some burning in my throat, no prolonged & painful hiccups, etc.). I take esomeprazol every day now & still watch my food choices & when I eat them (like no hard Protein before bed). This keeps it pretty well controlled.

So I've never been diagnosed with GERD. but from what I've read online, and everything going on personally I suspect I may have it or a haitel hernia. I just recently moved and don't have a pcp nor do I have medical insurance so not sure what to do on finding one near me in Texas. I plan on going to Tijuana for surgery. I have a few doctors that I'm interested in. My question is this.. with what I've experienced above potentially having Gerd. Same thing happens to me that those with Gerd have. But when I was 30 lbs lighter it never happened. I talked with my nutritionist and she said I should be fine if I get the sleeve BUT I don't want a revision and the rny scares the crap put of me since I already have stomach issues. I guess what I'm getting at, is if you had Gerd and were planning the sleeve what made you switch? I know there's like a 45% chance it gets worse after with it. I don't want to have to do a revision. I'm just nervous with them moving things around instead of just taking the stomach mostly out.
Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was diagnosed with GERD and Hiatal hernia. My doctor too suggested the endoscopy but I wanted the sleeve so I took almost a year and weaned myself off my medication through behavioral and diet changes. I know do not take any meds and my doctor is okay with the sleeve. It's about lifetime changes with whatever surgery you decide to get.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using BariatricPal mobile app