Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did u start walking exercise, post op pain and frustration



Recommended Posts

I had Gastric Bypass March 25th, so about 6 days ago. I am very frustrated, I have been having some weird post op experiences I never expected to deal with. 1. Bad constipation 2. Feeling incoherent at times, even being slightly combative 3. Feeling frustrated if not down right disappointed with myself.

So first I have had extremly bad constipation. I still havent had a full bowl movement, today, tuesday 3/30 I sent my husband to buy milk of magnesia to help. It has helped a little so hopefully things will get better the rest of this week. Secondly is anyone else incoherent and even combative at times? It only happens when I am waking up from a nap. After exercise or activity I get really tired and almost feel like i am in a fog so I take a nap. My husband wakes me up every hour to 2 hours to get me to drink some Water. When he does I am really out of it like I dont know whats going on but even worse I will argue with him. It scares him. Worse I dont really remeber it and I am not even medicated. I have been avoiding the pain medication to try to help relieve the constipation, so I know it is not drugs altering my perception. Its freaky!

Lastly I feel like I am failing or the surgery was a failure. I know its the iv and stuff and I shouldn't let it get to me but the scale is showing a weight gain of almost 8.5 lbs. Add that to the swelling from the surgery and I feel so disappointed. I cant shake it. I havent gotten back on the scale since everyone let me know it takes time to get rid of the IV fluids they pump into u in the hospital. I have to keep reminding myself "I AM NOT GOING TO CHECK IT AGAIN UNTIL THE 2 WEEK Post Op" which is 9 days away. But that doesnt make the bad thoughts go away.

I never thought I would deal with negative thoughts and feelings this close to the surgery! Anyone else struggling?

I feel like its just me failing and it sucks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) I think the answer to your (TEMPORARY!!!!) struggles is anesthesia. It takes AT LEAST one week to recover from its after-effects, and longer for most!

2) It is also really, really common to have these "why did I do this????" thoughts!! I was prepared for this when I had an elective surgery several years ago. The surgeon gave us a packet that went into this issue at length and it is all temporary, I 100% promise you!!!! You are EXHAUSTED right now!! Your body is recuperating!!

As you probably have in read many, many posts in here on BP, the chorus line is "WHYYYYYYY didn't I do this earlier???" You have given yourself a tremendous gift - a second chance at health and...vibrancy!! This regret, remorse, what have I done feeling is going to pass!!

3) The 8.5# weight gain is also TEMPORARY. FAKE. WILL BE GONE VERY SOON. Remember that needle stuck on the back of your hand attached to the hat stand-looking thing with bags on it that you had to drag everywhere during your hospital stay (which I am going to gently remind you was only a MERE few days ago, my friend!! Be kind to yourself!!)? Those bags pumped your body with a lot - A LOT - of Fluid. That 'weight' is going to be gone, plus more, VERY VERY SOON!!!

So...I am hoping you find that place of optimism again very soon and please know that you have all of our support, encouragement & sincere wishes for your success and a brand new beginning!! Even if you don't feel it every second of the day during this journey - You've GOT this!!! You really do. xoxo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're not failing. They pump you full of Fluid because you might struggle with dehydration. Swelling is an issue. Your body is reacting to surgery. Whole bunch of weird reasons why the scale is being....the scale. LOL.

Stay off the scale and work really hard at all of your little goals. Getting your fluids in. Drinking enough protien shake. Taking walks. You can do something about those thing....concentrate on what is within your power.

If you had a presurg liquid diet....chances are pretty good there's not that much to poop out. Walking helps constipation. Drinking Water helps.

If your sugar and hormones are all whackadoo...which they likely are after surgery....you might feel kinda unhinged and weird. I feel like a loon when I'm in ketosis...can't think well...brain fog so bad I'm scared to drive...so I feel ya. It'll get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it usually takes up to a week for the first BM after surgery (after all, there's not much in there - plus it can take a few days for your system to "wake up" after anesthesia), so that's very common. And just a forewarning - that first one can be a doozy - so the milk of magnesia (or similar treatment - some of us took stool softeners) is probably a good idea.

most people do gain weight from the IV fluids they give you in the hospital (some people gain 10 or more lbs from it), and that can also take up to a week to work it's way out of your system. Just stay off the scale if you have to. It's all just Water - not true weight.

I think the above poster may be right that the fogginess and irritability may just be lingering effects from the anesthesia. Also, some women experience mood swings and a screwed up menstrual cycle the first few weeks after surgery, due to rapid changes in hormone levels, so there might be some of that going on, too. Just hang on - this is all temporary.

Buyer's remorse is common the first couple of weeks - I had it as well - but just hold tight. I think you'll be feeling a lot better about things in another week or two...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. walking: I started that the first week. I had to wait four weeks for most other exercises - and I think eight weeks for weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ruthpets said:

1) I think the answer to your (TEMPORARY!!!!) struggles is anesthesia. It takes AT LEAST one week to recover from its after-effects, and longer for most!

2) It is also really, really common to have these "why did I do this????" thoughts!! I was prepared for this when I had an elective surgery several years ago. The surgeon gave us a packet that went into this issue at length and it is all temporary, I 100% promise you!!!! You are EXHAUSTED right now!! Your body is recuperating!!

As you probably have in read many, many posts in here on BP, the chorus line is "WHYYYYYYY didn't I do this earlier???" You have given yourself a tremendous gift - a second chance at health and...vibrancy!! This regret, remorse, what have I done feeling is going to pass!!

3) The 8.5# weight gain is also TEMPORARY. FAKE. WILL BE GONE VERY SOON. Remember that needle stuck on the back of your hand attached to the hat stand-looking thing with bags on it that you had to drag everywhere during your hospital stay (which I am going to gently remind you was only a MERE few days ago, my friend!! Be kind to yourself!!)? Those bags pumped your body with a lot - A LOT - of Fluid. That 'weight' is going to be gone, plus more, VERY VERY SOON!!!

So...I am hoping you find that place of optimism again very soon and please know that you have all of our support, encouragement & sincere wishes for your success and a brand new beginning!! Even if you don't feel it every second of the day during this journey - You've GOT this!!! You really do. xoxo

21 hours ago, ruthpets said:

1) I think the answer to your (TEMPORARY!!!!) struggles is anesthesia. It takes AT LEAST one week to recover from its after-effects, and longer for most!

2) It is also really, really common to have these "why did I do this????" thoughts!! I was prepared for this when I had an elective surgery several years ago. The surgeon gave us a packet that went into this issue at length and it is all temporary, I 100% promise you!!!! You are EXHAUSTED right now!! Your body is recuperating!!

As you probably have in read many, many posts in here on BP, the chorus line is "WHYYYYYYY didn't I do this earlier???" You have given yourself a tremendous gift - a second chance at health and...vibrancy!! This regret, remorse, what have I done feeling is going to pass!!

3) The 8.5# weight gain is also TEMPORARY. FAKE. WILL BE GONE VERY SOON. Remember that needle stuck on the back of your hand attached to the hat stand-looking thing with bags on it that you had to drag everywhere during your hospital stay (which I am going to gently remind you was only a MERE few days ago, my friend!! Be kind to yourself!!)? Those bags pumped your body with a lot - A LOT - of Fluid. That 'weight' is going to be gone, plus more, VERY VERY SOON!!!

So...I am hoping you find that place of optimism again very soon and please know that you have all of our support, encouragement & sincere wishes for your success and a brand new beginning!! Even if you don't feel it every second of the day during this journey - You've GOT this!!! You really do. xoxo

Thank you so much! I am trying so hard to find the optimism. Your words truly helped me thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

You're not failing. They pump you full of Fluid because you might struggle with dehydration. Swelling is an issue. Your body is reacting to surgery. Whole bunch of weird reasons why the scale is being....the scale. LOL.

Stay off the scale and work really hard at all of your little goals. Getting your fluids in. Drinking enough protien shake. Taking walks. You can do something about those thing....concentrate on what is within your power.

If you had a presurg liquid diet....chances are pretty good there's not that much to poop out. Walking helps constipation. Drinking Water helps.

If your sugar and hormones are all whackadoo...which they likely are after surgery....you might feel kinda unhinged and weird. I feel like a loon when I'm in ketosis...can't think well...brain fog so bad I'm scared to drive...so I feel ya. It'll get better.

I will stay off the scale, promise. Thank you for your post. I do kinda feel looney tunes right now 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

it usually takes up to a week for the first BM after surgery (after all, there's not much in there - plus it can take a few days for your system to "wake up" after anesthesia), so that's very common. And just a forewarning - that first one can be a doozy - so the milk of magnesia (or similar treatment - some of us took stool softeners) is probably a good idea.

most people do gain weight from the IV fluids they give you in the hospital (some people gain 10 or more lbs from it), and that can also take up to a week to work it's way out of your system. Just stay off the scale if you have to. It's all just Water - not true weight.

I think the above poster may be right that the fogginess and irritability may just be lingering effects from the anesthesia. Also, some women experience mood swings and a screwed up menstrual cycle the first few weeks after surgery, due to rapid changes in hormone levels, so there might be some of that going on, too. Just hang on - this is all temporary.

Buyer's remorse is common the first couple of weeks - I had it as well - but just hold tight. I think you'll be feeling a lot better about things in another week or two...

Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it, I am staying off the scale from now until next monday. How much walking did you do? Was it moderate or slow walking in the first few weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lahela said:

Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it, I am staying off the scale from now until next monday. How much walking did you do? Was it moderate or slow walking in the first few weeks?

I walked pretty slowly - but that's due to my starting weight and the fact I have moderate arthritis in my right hip, so it was painful to walk at that weight. My clinic didn't specify if we had to walk slowly or moderately, so I'm guessing moderately is fine as long as you're up for it and it's not causing any pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×