Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

grief and food

My favorite uncle just died this past Tuesday, he was in very good health and it was sudden. I was completely shocked to hear this news.

I've lost 3 lbs in 2 days and I don't feel like I can eat anything I think I have had some Soup. This is a complete shock to me when my father died 15 years ago when I was just 10 yo I gained a 70 LBS in 4 months because I just ate constantly.

Is it normal not to be hungry? I understand that this must be part of the "head work " that goes along with the band.

:think

First of all, I'm so sorry about your loss. Death is such a tragic experience for the ones left behind. I recently experience losing my dear grandmother and I miss her everyday.

People deal with emotions in different way, a common one is not eating, your depressed and just don't feel like eating. Sometimes I think deep inside, you feel that if you eat that your "getting over it" so maybe there is some type of guilt assoiciated with it. Just my opinion.

Others turn to food, Its comforting. I seem to be one that turns to food, chocolate, or something of that sort. I tend to drown my sorrows in food. I've learned it only makes me feel worse, not only am I sad, but even more depressed because I eat even more.

I don't eat when I'm depressed, and eat when I'm happy and being social eating out all the time with my friends. So, not eating is probably a pretty normal thing when something tragic happens.

Sorry about your Uncle passing... :cry

I want to say how sorry I am that you lost someone so dear too you. It is not unusual to not want to eat and it is not unusual to grab a giant tub of chocolate and want to drown in it...we all deal with greif differently. For me I'm a "not eater" kind of person. When my grandmother and my 3 children passed I didn't eat for about a week after each of the funerals. It took all the energy that I had to just breath. I had to be reminded to eat and even when I did it wasn't that much.

I honestly don't think the band has anything to do with you not being about to eat...honey your still in shock..and that affects your entire body. Be kind to yourself..eat what you can whether its a Protein shake or a bowl of Soup. If you're not getting enough you're body will let you know. In the mean time I'm sending you a gentle :hug:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches