Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Stuck

Well I know what everyone has been talking about.....I had my first stuck experience with some cooked vegtables they were soft and I thought oh I will be ok with these.....two bites later....pain and this feeling of a full esophogus....LMAO

It never came back up I was patient and just remained calm and it eventually went through but oh it was not pleasant. I think eating is going to be interesting next week......when I begin eating normal food again.....I know I am restricted.....and now I am certain of it.

Will be anxious to see what my Dr has to say to me on Tuesday.

Anyone else experiencing any food issues who are one month out???

I had this happen to me on Monday. I was eating carrot salad. I guess I didn't chew it up enough, then I took a bite of chicken. Oh, boy. Not good. I raised my arms over my head and that seemed to help. Don't want that to happen again.

That happened to me a week ago... got excited about my first scrambled egg meal. Had som Leb bread with it but ate too fast and wham. It didn't come back up but I walked around stretching my arms etc. I was fine after about 5 mins or so. Haven't thrown up any food yet abd planning to keep it that way!

Sades I think that is what I did I ate too fast because it was over 6 1/2 hours since lunch I was late getting dinner last night. So I ate too fast, and wham is right....LOL

I never want that to happen to me again.....so slow is the way to go.

Live and learn though I read about these experiences before surgery here and swore it would not be me....LOL

LOL. You're right, I read it all and I wasn't going to be the one but I got lax and bam, it caught me out.

oH YES .I can feel your pain. I was banded nov 1 and have lost 38 lbs so far. But just the other day i guess i didn't chew my meat well enough and it got stuck and it hurt. I was at a restaurant with a friend and was talking and had to get up and go mto the bathroom until it passed. I thought it might come up but didn't. I will be lots slower and chew,chew, chew from now on !! Robin from OKC, OK

I'm sure you guys already heard about this but I'll mention it anyway. Apparently a couple little sips of pineapple juice does the trick when you get stuck. It makes the food go down. I bought a few little cans of them and I am going to start keeping one in my purse (after my first fill) when I go out for dinner, travel, etc.

Hey Lizzie, it works. On Sunday, I was eating a not so ripe nectarine and of course even though I started feeling a little tight, I decided to take another bite... big mistake. It just sat there. I tried to throw up but got scared so stopped. I thought okay, I've read the stories so I'll give it a shot. I didn't have pineapple juice but I had a small sip of apple juice and couldn't believe how it fixed it within a few seconds it had slid down. :whoo::whoo:

I got some small cans of pineapple juice for the frig and a box of chewable papaya enzyme tablets to carry in my purse. I read about both here and thought the tablets would be more portable. I haven't had occasion to try them, though.

It finally happened to me last night while driving home. I was eating my dinner which was a McD's snack wrap and swallowed a piece of chicken that wasn't chewed. I thought I was going to die while I was driving. I wasn't at a point where I could pull over for some time. Finally, I got to a spot and ran around to the back of my Jeep for my pineapple juice. Next time, I'm carrying it in the front seat!! It helped but not as quickly as I would have hoped. But at least I didn't throw up. I sure hurt though. My DH is always following me saying "chew, chew, chew." I'm really bad at that.

Ouch!!

Take care.

I had my first "stuck" experience day before yesterday. I ate some fish. It was soft and I took little bites, but I didn't pause between bites. I ate to fast. I also thought I was going to die. I'm three weeks out, and only one week on mushies. I've eaten other things that were questionable in texture, and didn't have a problem. I felt like I was only very mildly restricted. WRONG. I ran around the kitchen like an idiot and was in complete panic. I called my best friend (who was banded for a year before she told me. when I decided to to it, she hadn't even told me yet. We laughed for an hour.) she told me to put my arms over my head and jump up and down. (It works for her) I did and my husband thought I lost my mind. It only lasted about 15 minutes but my tummy has been sore ever since, and I can barely eat anything. I did liquids for 24 hours, but today, eating was still difficult. I also got MISERABLE gas today when I ate. what's up with that? Man, it hurts like hell. I didn't feel better until I started burping non stop. I never threw up, but I will remember to slow down from now on!!

In a way, I'm jealous. I was banded 11/29, have eaten chicken and cheese on 3 separates occasions, also find that I'm gulping liquids and having more than 1/2 cup at t time, and I've had no problems so far. It makes me wonder if my band is on right and why I feel no restriction. Any ideas? The good news is that I;ve lost 15 lbs since my surgery.

caryn

They aren't refrigerated. They are by the juice boxes in the grocery stores. The are Dole little bitty cans.

Unfortunately, I can say that with the band, even if I haven't been stuck in awhile, I know it will happen again. There seems to be no way around it, even if you think you're being careful. Sometimes a food you never had trouble with, all of a sudden the band doesn't like it this time. The band has a mind of it's own.

In a way, I'm jealous. I was banded 11/29, have eaten chicken and cheese on 3 separates occasions, also find that I'm gulping liquids and having more than 1/2 cup at t time, and I've had no problems so far. It makes me wonder if my band is on right and why I feel no restriction. Any ideas? The good news is that I;ve lost 15 lbs since my surgery.

caryn

I guess neither one of us is at the correct level of restriction yet. I'm not dropping any more weight even though I do have to watch what I eat and how I chew. I've only have one fill so I'm at 5 cc on the 10 cc band. I've heard it might take up to 8.5 cc on this band. I'm holding on and at least I'm not gaining!