Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on December 22,2020 and I thought I would have lost more than I have. I know when you have less to lose you lose slower, but it still frustrating that I've only lost 11pounds in 6weeks. My doctor wants to see another 10 to 15 pounds come off before the end of the month. Which I think I can manage, but when I try to talk to family or friends even those who have had surgery all I get in response is "try harder. You aren't doing enough" or "you'll get there be patient." It feels like the support I'm receiving is half hearted and I just wish they could back me up a little more. It's been hard finding friends that understand and I just want someone who gets it.

Also why is it so hard to get my Water in aiming for 64ounces right now but only getting half of that any tips or tricks to get in more?

Ugh that's really frustrating! I can totally feel how that would be disappointing.

That said, you must have lost a bunch pre-op; that slows your progress. I'm not sure what you mean by Water? Unlike the sleevers, we bypassers don't have a high-pressure pouch. It shouldn't be that hard to drink for you after 5+ weeks. Maybe some RNYers can chime in?

Are you otherwise sticking to the plan? :)

How are you doing with the Protein? Water counts in the form of sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popsicles, gatorade zero, water with crystal light or other sugar-free flavoring in it, Decaf coffee, etc. Try creative ways to get it in. Hot tea.

I'm getting in between 80 and 100g of protien a day. Thank you for the ideas

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I doubt at this point you're eating too much. There are so many things that factor into your rate of weight loss - gender, age, metabolic rate, activity level, starting BMI, whether or not you lost a lot of weight pre-surgery, how closely you stick to your clinic's food plan, etc. The only two on this list that you really have any control over at this point are your activity level and how close you're sticking to your food plan. If you're sticking to the plan and exercising, then that's pretty much all you can do. So just make sure you're doing that. Otherwise, some people just have pokey bodies for whatever reason. I was a slow loser from the get-go...

Ugh that's really frustrating! I can totally feel how that would be disappointing.
That said, you must have lost a bunch pre-op; that slows your progress. I'm not sure what you mean by Water? Unlike the sleevers, we bypassers don't have a high-pressure pouch. It shouldn't be that hard to drink for you after 5+ weeks. Maybe some RNYers can chime in?
Are you otherwise sticking to the plan? [emoji4]
I havent been able to stand the taste of plain water since my surgery. I lost 53pounds before surgery.

44 minutes ago, Bari-mommy17 said:

I havent been able to stand the taste of plain Water since my surgery. I lost 53pounds before surgery.

That's a really amazing loss, you should be proud of that. You did that all without surgery :)

Maybe tea or (hold on to your purses, ladies) coffee could help? If you're in one of those programs that disallows coffee for reasons science can't explain, maybe give them a call to ask if you could start a little early?

4 hours ago, Bari-mommy17 said:

I havent been able to stand the taste of plain Water since my surgery.

Try Hint water- it's water infused with various flavors. If nowhere else, you can find it on Amazon.

7 hours ago, Bari-mommy17 said:

Also why is it so hard to get my Water in aiming for 64ounces right now but only getting half of that any tips or tricks to get in more?

Was going to ask if the Water issue was because of physical inability or aversion. But then you answered in a later post:

5 hours ago, Bari-mommy17 said:

I havent been able to stand the taste of plain water since my surgery

Since it sounds like an aversion issue, you can perhaps try the following:

• Experiment with temperature. Immediately after surgery, I only wanted HOT, HOT water. A couple of months later, I only wanted COLD, COLD water.
  • Try a couple drops of sugar free sweetener (preferably with Monk Fruit or Stevia as sweetener, studies have shown that Monk fruit does not seem to affect blood sugar levels, as well as Stevia but not as well as Monk Fruit.
  • Make a smoothie with lots of ice and lower-sugar fruits OR BP2 powder & instant decaff coffee crystals OR with your favourite low-cal/high-protein yogurt.
  • Carry a water bottle or thermos around with you everywhere you go.
  • Set a timer to remind yourself to take a sip at regular intervals.

Good Luck!

I struggled with the taste of Water as well. I got a bottle of Smart Water about three weeks ago and have been drinking 2 bottles (Liter) per day ever since. I also found that water tastes much better at room temperature. I can tell you that since I started drinking water, I've lost 7 pounds. I think the water fills me up, but more importantly, moves everything through my digestive system the way it's supposed to. I'm more regular and definitely feel better.

BTW. My doctor/dietician is not a fan of coffee, but I drink two cups every morning. If that's the worst thing I do, so be it!

Yay @mae7365 for dropping 7 lbs and figuring out your Water issue!

Will add a couple other benefits of drinking water (on top of what you already rightly mentioned):

• Water is necessary for burning fat:
    • "The process of metabolizing fat is called lipolysis. The first step of this process is hydrolysis, which occurs when water molecules interact with triglycerides (fats) to create glycerol and fatty acids.

Drinking enough water is essential for burning off fat from food and drink, as well as stored fat." - Medical News Today

• Water is a natural appetite suppressant

Edited by ms.sss