Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone started GAINING weight within days post-op?

Hi,

My sleeve was done about 9 days ago. Initially, I slept for 3 days with very minimal oral intake. Ended up 9.8 lbs DOWN when I woke up post-op day #4. I assume that wasn't fat loss since it had only been 3 days - probably just loss of Water weight from no food/ limited water intake in those first few days when I wasn't awake enough yet, which I know is temporary artificial weight loss.

But I didn't expect that I would start gaining again literally starting post-op day #5. Since then, I've been gaining it all back. 1-2 lbs per day. I'm on a full Fluid diet still as required with Plus 2 Protein Shakes a day. Max 500 kcal per day for now.

Yet my weight has been going up starting on post-op day #4 onward, ~5 lbs in ~5 days. I'm nearly back at my original weight pre-op about 9 days ago.

I know that weight re-gain is a common thing post sleeve but I thought that was after months or years.

Has anyone had the experience of weight gain starting basically right after surgery? And if so, can you tell me if your body eventually caught up and started losing and by what week after surgery did you start losing?

If I'm not able to start losing on such a restricted immediately post-op diet with 300-500 kcal per day max right now, how can I expect to start LOSING when my intake inevitably goes up to something resembling more of a sustainable level of intake?

Thanks.

Edited by kim0221

The first little while after surgery your body is simply recovering from trauma. My weight was up for the first week or so and then I started to lose. I wouldn't worry - just stick to your plan and eventually you'll start to lose!

there's no way you're gaining weight. It's probably just Water retention.

Just as you shed Water weight during your 3 days with minimal intake, your body is re-balancing its hydration level now that you are drinking again. It may bounce around for a while before it settles down and you start seeing a steady downward trend.

44 minutes ago, loridee11 said:

The first little while after surgery your body is simply recovering from trauma. My weight was up for the first week or so and then I started to lose. I wouldn't worry - just stick to your plan and eventually you'll start to lose!

Thanks for the reply. So to clarify, you also GAINED weight for about the first week but beyond the week you ended up losing?

It's just something I haven't read anywhere - I've read stagnant/ no change or minimal loss at first. But continuous weight GAIN is not something I've read in anyone else's experiences.

If that happened to you and others and then you ended up beginning to lose despite increasing food intake over time, then I would feel a lot more 'normal' about myself right now.