Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Month Post-Op Weight Loss Question

Hey everyone,

I am almost at my one month and to date, I have lost 20lbs since surgery. I wanted to see what everyone else lost their first month as 20lbs doesn't seem to be a lot. I am getting my Protein in, Water in, Vitamins done, and walking (not been cleared for lifting heavy weights yet). I know it depends on your starting weight but, I don't know, I thought I would be at 25+ now. At any rate, I am so happy to be where I am and the progress and inches lost that I see.

20 lbs is normal. Most of us seem to lose between 15-25 lbs the first month, so you're right on track. I think some people come into this with overly high expectations due to shows like "My 600 lb Life", but you have to keep in mind that the people on that show start out WAY heavier than the average WLS patient. Of course, there are some people who are average WLS patients who lose like 30 lbs, but they're the exception. Don't worry - you're fine!

20lb not a lot? It's great regardless of the start weight. Don't compare yourself to weight losses you see on shows like 600lb life etc.

Some will have lost less weight than you, some will have lost more weight than you. All that is varible dependent on age, start weight, recovery, incidental activity, gender, their post op guidelines, etc etc

1 hour ago, ANewJourneyAwaits said:

Hey everyone,

I am almost at my one month and to date, I have lost 20lbs since surgery. I wanted to see what everyone else lost their first month as 20lbs doesn't seem to be a lot. I am getting my Protein in, Water in, Vitamins done, and walking (not been cleared for lifting heavy weights yet). I know it depends on your starting weight but, I don't know, I thought I would be at 25+ now. At any rate, I am so happy to be where I am and the progress and inches lost that I see.

I lost 21 (which to me was a crap ton...i have never lost anywhere close to 21 lbs in one month in my life).

How did you arrive at the expectation of a 25+ lb loss? Was it something your doc/team told you to expect?

You’re right. I think 600lb life makes you think you’ll lose like 50. Considering I was no where near that, it makes sense. I’m glad that it seems right on track. I emailed my nurse to let her know as well.

I guess I talked to my friend who had the sleeve and she said she lost 30 the first month so I thought I would be comprable but I knew that may not be the case for me.

I am glad to see you all was roughly what I am. Glad it’s the average!

20lbs in the first month is awesome. As long as you remember to eat slow and follow the instructions they gave you, and stop when full, you are doing well. Everyone is different. But a net loss every month is progress. Don't forget it took you a while to gain the weight, so in reverse, the same will hold true. But stay positive. You are doing great!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• AmberFL

2 of the Biggest NSV thus far in my life; 1) my 6yr old daughter can wrap her arms around me for the first time ever! 2) My 12yr old son is having a basketball game for the parents vs. their players and I am playing with him! Its been awhile since I played basketball so I have been practicing lol but I would never had even volunteered to do this 70lbs ago! 
      This surgery has changed my life for the better!
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

That's fantastic!

• Newtransformation79

It has hit me today, as I sit in my chair at work that I don't have my belly sticking out to where it would hit the desk. Oh and I can cross my legs more comfortably. It amazes me just how much I have loss in inches vs actual pounds, I have lost 24 lbs all together. But I believe in inches all over about 3 inches. I am noticing more energy and have pep to my step. My skin is a lot clearer. My watch band is shorter by 3 notches. the little things are what I am noticing. When I bend over I don't feel out of breath or I am going to fall over ( weeble wobble). 
      I am having a hard time with my sweet tooth, it is very hard to not want to get some ice cream or chocolate. Candy I can do without. I have no craving really for that, just chocolate and ice cream. I have gone as far as taking Popsicle and putting them in my mixer with almond milk and making like ice cream with that/ sometimes I have added un-flavored protein powder. 
      I feel better everyday. The energy is great to have with having younger kids and being able to have the energy to keep up. 😃
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Manisha Sharma

Buy Dohar Set Online: Top Picks for Cozy Comfort & Style 
      Check out our top selections for cozy bedding, perfect for adding a touch of style to your bedroom while ensuring warmth and comfort. Find the best Dohar sets online for ultimate comfort and style.

Visit - https://amoliconcepts.com/product-category/throws-quilts-dohars/
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

If anyone has any advice on how to make your stomach feel better after you eat something you shouldn't have or at too fast, I would GREATLY appreciate it!! It's painful on both sides of my abdomen (like to the point I'm doubled over and using a hot water bottle in addition to medicine) and I'm really nauseous (the thought or smell of food is 🤢).
      · 0 replies
    • Mandirigma

Just wondering if any of the Type 2 Diabetics also have there blood glucose go high when having only a Premier Protein drink for breakfast?  How does Premier Protein compare to BOOST Glucose Control in your experience?
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches