Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does full feel like?

May be the dumbest question ever...but what does (your) full feels like after surgery?

Before surgery I never felt like I knew what full felt like. It was just hungry (then eat/binge) to sick. Since surgery (a little over 2 weeks post op), I don’t really know what full feels like. I stop after 2 oz because I feel heavy, or I feel like waves of nausea coming on. So that brings me to my question... since being post op, what does your full feel like?

Once you get on solid food you will feel it! For me, it's a tightness in my chest. As soon as I feel the tightness I know that I can't swallow another bite. I've made the mistake of swallowing another bite (usually b/c I'm already chewing it when the chest tightness starts) and it causes lots of discomfort and can even be painful.

You will definitely feel it when the time comes!!! Best of luck to you!!

Thank you so much! I’m hoping I do lol. The last thing I want is an empty gaping hole to fill with food. LOL! I realize it’s crazy the things I think, or we think, but it just seems so unrealistic or unattainable maybe is a better word. I keep telling myself I WILL DO THIS!

I can tell I am full when I take a bit and when I swallow it, it does not want to go down. It almost is like my throat closes off, I know that sounds silly but I can take a bite and everything is fine and the next bite its like the door is closed. I actually keep a napkin and if it feels like its going to be tough to get down I will spit it in a napkin and just be done. If I force it my chest gets tight and I am absolutely miserable, I can go from being comfortable to miserable in one bite.

Initially I would get a runny nose. I have read others say that as well. Now at 2 years that hardly ever happens. I will get a tight uncomfortable feeling like after Thanksgiving was prior to surgery. If I eat too quick or don't chew enough then it can be very uncomfortable to the point of being painful and have nausea.

6 hours ago, RTL1234 said:

May be the dumbest question ever...but what does (your) full feels like after surgery?

Before surgery I never felt like I knew what full felt like. It was just hungry (then eat/binge) to sick. Since surgery (a little over 2 weeks post op), I don’t really know what full feels like. I stop after 2 oz because I feel heavy, or I feel like waves of nausea coming on. So that brings me to my question... since being post op, what does your full feel like?

For me :

Original WLS of VSG - tightness or pressure in chest/esophagus/throat , inability to take "one more bite" and no interest in finishing.

Conversion to RNY - Bored with eating followed by heaviness in the lower abdomen, slight tightness in throat after a while, disgusted at the thought of "one more bite".

14 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

For me :

Original WLS of VSG - tightness or pressure in chest/esophagus/throat , inability to take "one more bite" and no interest in finishing.

Conversion to RNY - Bored with eating followed by heaviness in the lower abdomen, slight tightness in throat after a while, disgusted at the thought of "one more bite".

Its cool that you can give a description of both your experiences with fullness. Often wondered about that.

My fullness is a pressure in my chest. I haven’t felt that full/bloated/stretched feeling in my lower abdomen in over 2 years.

Its funny cuz before, when i was full, i’d put my hand over my belly, and say “oof, i’m stuffed!” Now i put my hand between my boobs (or just under them) when i say that. People have often “corrected” me saying that I’m not actually full, and its merely heartburn.

I nod and smile.

Edited by ms.sss

21 hours ago, RTL1234 said:

Still relatively new to my surgery - started solid foods abt a week or so ago. Feeling full was hard on liquids... but on semi solids - for me my breathing becomes heavier, harder to swallow the bite.. and then i know if i take one more ill either hurl or have to get up and start walking to help my digestive system work faster. Tightness in the chest definitely a thing for me too like the others who have replied here.

Also - sometimes the thing I'm already use to eating - will make me full faster. for example if i eat an egg, i might be able to eat the whole egg 1 day and the next day only half. So i guess it alllll depends on how I've slept that day, what I've done etc.

Definitly the feeling full takes time to grasp or even mentally clue in.