Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:):help:I don't think my doctor's office uses these....anyone have suggestions on how I can request to them this is the band I want?

:help:

Most surgeons now use the newer AP bands (Allergan Health). They are widely available. If any practice or hospital doesn't currently have the AP bands they can certainly order them and the company will exchange the "old" ones for the AP bands. They are both great bands but you might as well have the newest & greatest, right? The new-to-market REALIZE band (Ethicon) is so new that not too many surgeons are able to offer this currently. That will change rapidly throughout 2008 as they proctor surgeons on the new band.

I am getting my lap band in January by Dr. Felts in Dallas Tx. Has anyone had him? Do you know which band he is using?

I also have a AP Band. had my surgery 6-26-07. filled 3cc at surgery. i have 8.5cc now four fills later and it is really working now. did not have enough restriction at all till 3rd fill which i was at 7.5cc. think i may be at my sweet spot.

I insisted on the AP band and got it. I just had my first fill on Monday, and when he withdrew the Fluid, there was only 1ml in the band, it was supposed to be 3. Anyway, he put in 4ml so my current level is 4. Boy am I restricted. I have to stay on fluids for 2 days, then soft for 2 days, so I haven't tried to eat yet, but I made a Protein Shake this morning and could only drink 4 ounces. I was stuffed...I have no hunger yet. I hope this feeling lasts forever, this is great! I love the APS band.

Dr. Watkins,

I have the Realize band. What is the differences between the AP and the Realize band? I know you said the weight loss is similiar. What are the advantages and disadvantages to each of them? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Hi TreTre,

Differences between REALIZE and ALLERGAN bands

Clinical outcomes (slip rate, erosion rate, weight loss, etc) are very similar between the two bands. The Allergan band is the original band (Allergan bought the Inamed band company which bought Bioenterics company - these are the old names of the same band)

Surgically, there are subtle differences such as:

The Allergan band comes in many sizes, REALIZE band is one size.

Allergan has two port sizes; REALIZE is one port size.

Allergan ports are stitched to the muscle fascia (the tough white stuff on the outside of the muscle); REALIZE port has neat technology that attaches itself to the muscle fascia and may have slightly less port pain the first few days after surgery. The REALIZE ports have a neat tool that places the port and secures it with a handheld instrument making it really easy on the surgeon. (Don't tell anyone but they could teach monkeys to do this stuff.)

Allergan band tubing has little arrows printed on it pointing the surgeon to the tab end of the tubing which is a nice feature in the operating room.

Allergan ports are smaller around (circumference) and taller - perhaps easier to palpate for fills.

REALIZE ports are bigger around and less prominent. Think small stack of silver dollars versus taller stack of quarters to create the mental image.

Allergan tubing is closer to the septum (the area that you aim for with the needle for adjustments/fills) and perhaps more susceptible to needle sticks requiring port replacement.

REALIZE ports have the septum farther away from the tubing - the tubing is a little more protected.

Both bands are now easier to unbuckle in the event a surgeon has to reposition the band.

The REALIZE band comes with a neat instrument that helps to pass the band around the upper stomach.

The Allergan AP bands have "pillows" in the inflatable portion of the inner balloon that prevents balloon-to-balloon contact. The REALIZE band does have balloon-to-balloon contact. Some people think that this contact may cause issues years later but long-term studies have not shown this to be the case.

Basically, we have two wonderful technologies and I would not hesitate to perform either surgery on friend or family. I'm hoping that with two band companies on the market the price of plastic will start coming down. I know companies have to recoup their R&D dollars but they've got some pretty pricey plastic at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Clinical outcomes (slip rate, erosion rate, weight loss, etc) are very similar between the two bands. The Allergan band is the original band (Allergan bought the Inamed band company which bought Bioenterics company - these are the old names of the same band)

Allergan ports are stitched to the muscle fascia (the tough white stuff on the outside of the muscle); REALIZE port has neat technology that attaches itself to the muscle fascia and may have slightly less port pain the first few days after surgery. The REALIZE ports have a neat tool that places the port and secures it with a handheld instrument making it really easy on the surgeon. (Don't tell anyone but they could teach monkeys to do this stuff.)

Allergan band tubing has little arrows printed on it pointing the surgeon to the tab end of the tubing which is a nice feature in the operating room.

Allergan ports are smaller around (circumference) and taller - perhaps easier to palpate for fills.

REALIZE ports are bigger around and less prominent. Think small stack of silver dollars versus taller stack of quarters to create the mental image.

Allergan tubing is closer to the septum (the area that you aim for with the needle for adjustments/fills) and perhaps more susceptible to needle sticks requiring port replacement.

REALIZE ports have the septum farther away from the tubing - the tubing is a little more protected.

Both bands are now easier to unbuckle in the event a surgeon has to reposition the band.

The REALIZE band comes with a neat instrument that helps to pass the band around the upper stomach.

The Allergan AP bands have "pillows" in the inflatable portion of the inner balloon that prevents balloon-to-balloon contact. The REALIZE band does have balloon-to-balloon contact. Some people think that this contact may cause issues years later but long-term studies have not shown this to be the case.

Basically, we have two wonderful technologies and I would not hesitate to perform either surgery on friend or family. I'm hoping that with two band companies on the market the price of plastic will start coming down. I know companies have to recoup their R&D dollars but they've got some pretty pricey plastic at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, thank you Dr. Watkins,your explaination was very thorough. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the differences. I am sure I will be asking more questions as I continue on my weight loss journey. It is a comfort to know that you are here to help.

Heather A-thank you for helping with the font of Dr. Watkins response. It made reading it easier.

Hey all!

Just prior to surgery (while being prep'd) when my surgeon came to speak with me, he told me that I was getting a New Improved version of the band. My surgery was just a week ago (Nov. 27). He told me that on the old band the adjustable part only went 320 degrees aroud the band but that on the new model that I was getting it went 360 degrees. Better and more even control with this one. Yeah me!

Just curious if anyone else here was told they were getting the new model. Also, even though I felt I had researched it well, I didn't know that (about the degrees around) until he told me just before surgery. Just me on this?

Not concerned, only curious if anyone else got the new model.

I received the new band also and have found that I have very little restriction. I was banded the same time you were and still have not found my sweet spot. I wondered if anybody else has had this problem?

I received the new band also and have found that I have very little restriction. I was banded the same time you were and still have not found my sweet spot. I wondered if anybody else has had this problem?

I have about 4.5 cc's (it holds about 10) in my band now and have lost 35 pounds. Not sure if it's the sweet spot but it is limiting me somwhat on my food choices and I am averaging 2.5 pounds lost per week. Not as fast as some people around here yet still good enough to be encouraging. You'll get there. If you are not losing at all just have your doc put more Fluid in. From what I understand, the 'new' bands sometimes just take a little more adjusting to hit it.

Good Luck!

I went to a web site to see this AP band and it looks pretty nice. I will be asking my Doc about it when/if I get that far with this long long process.

Good luck to all of us.:shades_smile: