Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is the band that has been in use since July 07....

4jin

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op, so I haven't had a fill yet, so I can't comment on the restriction. My surgeon didn't mention that, but I definately can't eat as much as I did, even if I'm now on mushies. I'm full on approximately 1 cup of food. Sometimes less. After that I'm uncomfortable.

sounds good aubrie

i was worried after reading posts about people being hungry within a couple of weeks post-op.

Maybe that's why he starts us out with 4 CCs of Fluid. I fiind if I eat my protien like I'm supposed to, I'm not hungry. If I fudge or find some other mushie to eat, I do get a little growl in my tummy.

I had the AP band installed on Nov. 7th, not only is it 360 degrees around it also has a different locking device that insures the surgeon that it is correctly hooked and will not slide open.

I have the new AP band - banded 9 Aug and so far I have had four fills to get great restriction - up at 5.8ml. I think they can fill more aggresively first out with these bands as they hold more and so getting to good restriction doesn't take as long.

I went for my pre-op visit on Thursday and found out that I will be the 2nd AP band my surgeon has done. The first will happen a week before my surgery. He will be having a rep from Allergen (?) in the OR with both of us to make sure he primes it correctly. I am thrilled that I will be getting the AP band and I'm actually happy that the rep will be there to assure that things go as they should. I guess my doctor wasn't using these bands yet as they were finishing up their supply of VG bands.

I just had the new band put on on Nov. 12 and since the swelling went down I feel very little restriction. I have called and asked if I can get the fill done at my 6 week visit. I've lost 11 so far but I feel stalled. I know this is supposedly normal but I'm bummed!

I'm getting banded in one week. I just called and they said they are not really using the new band yet, but maybe I can ask at my preop tomorrow. I don't want to wait, what about people with the old band. Is it Ok? Now I'm worried!

Help.

Aimee

Aimee, go to the beginning of this thread and you will see what we mean by new band. This does not mean the previous version is bad. As with all technology, (hopefully) it improves over time.

Most band surgeons have switched to the AP bands which stands for Advanced Platform

The APS (small) holds 10cc

The APL (large) holds 14cc

Australian surgeons do lots of band surgery and they've had the AP bands for years and are seeing better weight loss and fewer pouch dilations ("slips").

The new bands (AP) are also easier to unbuckle if you would need the band repositioned due to pouch dilation.

The REALIZE band is the Ethicon Company band. It too has been in Europe since the early 1990's. It has a single size so everyone has the same band. It has slight differences from the Allergan bands but the research on weight loss is very similar to the existing Allergan bands (APS, APL).

Hopefully, now that two companies have bands on the market the price of plastic will go down.

Most band surgeons have switched to the AP bands which stands for Advanced Platform

The APS (small) holds 10cc

The APL (large) holds 14cc

Australian surgeons do lots of band surgery and they've had the AP bands for years and are seeing better weight loss and fewer pouch dilations ("slips").

The new bands (AP) are also easier to unbuckle if you would need the band repositioned due to pouch dilation.

The REALIZE band is the Ethicon Company band. It too has been in Europe since the early 1990's. It has a single size so everyone has the same band. It has slight differences from the Allergan bands but the research on weight loss is very similar to the existing Allergan bands (APS, APL).

Hopefully, now that two companies have bands on the market the price of plastic will go down.

Thanks Dr. Watkins !!!! My doc told me I had the new band (small) but since I am one who doesn't concern myself with how many cc's i get at a fill - I didn't know it held 10 cc -

I do have a question - I don't know if it was this thread or another - but someone stated that their doc didn't/doesn't attach their band to the stomach or whatever it's attached too - (I am just a regular person I don't know all the medical terms as I am never going to be a doctor myself) - I thought this was very unusual.... as when my doc explained the surgery he said he attached the band - i thought this was to prevent slips.

Most American doctors do secure the stomach over the top of the band to prevent slips. I've heard of surgeons not doing this but only in other countries, outside the U.S.