Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I am 4 months post op, and pretty lucky in that things seem to have gone quite well so far. Something I've noticed in the last month or so though is how hungry I feel at night, and sometimes I feel like I really need to eat before I go to sleep, which is usually about 4 hours after my last meal. I often wake up feeling the same. Right now I am awake at midnight, not being able to sleep and and feeling like I need to eat. I don't think it is head hunger because I don't actually want to eat, it's more like a sensation of emptiness. Has anyone else had this? Am I actually hungry?! I am consuming around 500-900 calories a day. Pre op I was told I was prediabetes, so I wonder if my blood sugar might have something to do with it. Maybe I need to spread my meals out a bit more? Any ideas appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I "feel" hungry and I'm not sure if it's real hunger or not, I first start with drinking more Water, or here during Winter a hot coffee with sugar-free flavored Syrup in it. If that soothes the feeling, then it wasn't really hunger and I'm good. If it doesn't, and it does 99% of the time, I eat a handful of almonds or something small just to make the feeling go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on your success so far.

You could be experiencing real hunger. My real hunger makes me feel uncomfortable & restless. A lot of people have an increase in stomach acid which makes them think they’re hungry. Take an additional esomeprazole at night & see if that helps. I sometimes do if I feel my morning dose has worn off.

Are you only eating three meals a day? Speak to your dietician about a healthy snack you could add after dinner to tide you over during the night as you may need to be consuming a few more calories. Have a small piece of cheese, a carrot stick, a couple of blueberries or strawberries or a small piece of chicken or other meat you may have in your fridge.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it could be your hunger coming back. Mine came back at five months out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this exact same problem- I’ve learned that I just truly am hungry and cannot sleep unless I have something in there. I usually have flax pita, yogurt, or chicken on hand to consume on the fly. Lately because I know I’ll be hungry I’ve taken to drinking tea or Decaf coffee when I’d normally eat so I can save some calories for later when I’ll need it just before bedtime. My new years resolution is to start drinking tea- also helps to get more liquids in, keeps distracted, etc. still trying to find one I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2020 at 19:27, Jen2020MGB said:



I am 4 months post op, and pretty lucky in that things seem to have gone quite well so far. Something I've noticed in the last month or so though is how hungry I feel at night, and sometimes I feel like I really need to eat before I go to sleep, which is usually about 4 hours after my last meal. I often wake up feeling the same. Right now I am awake at midnight, not being able to sleep and and feeling like I need to eat. I don't think it is head hunger because I don't actually want to eat, it's more like a sensation of emptiness. Has anyone else had this? Am I actually hungry?! I am consuming around 500-900 calories a day. Pre op I was told I was prediabetes, so I wonder if my blood sugar might have something to do with it. Maybe I need to spread my meals out a bit more? Any ideas appreciated.


Maybe you can consume something like a stalk of celery before you go to bed or when you feel hungry? I am two weeks post op and sometimes I get that hunger you are referring to, but am not able to consume much right now. You might also not have enough Protein throughout the day? Just a though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the last couple of weeks I've been feeling more hungry than I have before (9 weeks out). Quite often I'm not sure if it's hunger, thirst or head hunger. So now when I feel hungry I first have a drink, then if still feeling hungry I think "ok, do I want 50g of cottage cheese? " and if I don't then I know it's head hunger.

If your hunger is always at night maybe you need to factor in a snack an hour before bed? Or I think I read in another thread that somebody keeps a snack back that she can have if she wakes up in the night hungry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DenverGirl88 said:

I have this exact same problem- I’ve learned that I just truly am hungry and cannot sleep unless I have something in there. I usually have flax pita, yogurt, or chicken on hand to consume on the fly. Lately because I know I’ll be hungry I’ve taken to drinking tea or Decaf coffee when I’d normally eat so I can save some calories for later when I’ll need it just before bedtime. My new years resolution is to start drinking tea- also helps to get more liquids in, keeps distracted, etc. still trying to find one I like.

That sounds like a good plan. I'm going to try having a yoghurt an hour or so before bed. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Congrats on your success so far.

You could be experiencing real hunger. My real hunger makes me feel uncomfortable & restless. A lot of people have an increase in stomach acid which makes them think they’re hungry. Take an additional esomeprazole at night & see if that helps. I sometimes do if I feel my morning dose has worn off.

Are you only eating three meals a day? Speak to your dietician about a healthy snack you could add after dinner to tide you over during the night as you may need to be consuming a few more calories. Have a small piece of cheese, a carrot stick, a couple of blueberries or strawberries or a small piece of chicken or other meat you may have in your fridge.

Good luck.

My dietician said something about me not having much stomach acid after surgery, I don't really know why. I don't take any omeprazole or similar anyway.

I am only eating two meals a day plus a liquid meal like a coffee or thin Soup, so I do think it could well be real hunger. I feel similar, restless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am the same way and it is real hunger. I keep a small snack for this. I'm not sure how you are eating during the day but it could be that you aren't get a lot of calories during the day, your stomach gets a rest for most of the evening (5 or 6 hours?) and is able to take a little something more.

I have some questions on where it comes from as I started a new job last month just before Thanksgiving. I work from 4 pm until around 12-1 am but don't eat at all during my shift (I drink tons of Water mixed with my GENEPRO Protein for energy though all shift long). My work is at a factory and I'm doing fast, physical work with heavy lifting. I then pick up my son after work (our family works at the same place but different buildings) and I have to wait for him. By the time I get home, I'm really ravenous but can't eat many things still. I have some mild slim jims put aside and will eat a couple of the small snack size. I can't drink anymore and still getting used to the schedule. I have to go back and pick up my husband at 4 am (he works 12 hour shifts) so I don't sleep so much but I'm not hungry again until the next afternoon after sleeping all morning until around 3 pm with my husband.

Until I read your post, I thought that was the reason for the hunger but it can be just the time our stomachs can handle it after not eating for so many hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jen2020MGB said:

My dietician said something about me not having much stomach acid after surgery, I don't really know why. I don't take any omeprazole or similar anyway.

I am only eating two meals a day plus a liquid meal like a coffee or thin Soup, so I do think it could well be real hunger. I feel similar, restless.

I wonder if you’re eating enough during the day. coffee isn’t a meal & a thin Soup could be just a snack if it’s a broth/consommé at this stage. How many calories are you consuming? Are you meeting your Protein goals? At four months you should easily be able to eat three nutritious, small portioned meals & maybe a snack. I would eat scrambled eggs or rolled oats for Breakfast, chicken or some other protein at lunch, and a protein & vegetables at night. I’d have yoghurt mid afternoon & usually some fruit at some time during the day. I couldn’t eat a whole egg, my protein was 2- 3oz & the vegetables would be a couple of green Beans or cauliflower florists, etc.

The first time I felt real hunger was when I hit my goal & I had missed a meal & snack that day. So it is possible you are hungry because you’re not eating enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I feel hungry, even after hitting my Protein goals, I drink some Water and wait to see if that helps. Often it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×