Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange smell and taste

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing something really strange happening. But I am experiencing things smelling and tasting really strange. It seems to be shredded cheeses, my yogurt, and my Decaf coffee. All these things I ate before having my bypass revision but now they all have this strange smell and taste which is kind of nauseating. When did I mention it was Greek yogurt that has this smell. I also found that I order a salad from Wendy's and the dressing smell the same way and taste the same way. Can explain what the smell or taste is but it's weird that all of these different things have this smell and taste. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the sleeve not the bypass and I haven't experienced that. However, my cousin had the bypass within a few days of mine and he also tells me that things taste different (and not in a good way). I don't have any insight into what causes that but you're not alone.

Things taste really different to me. I had surgery almost a year ago, and I cannot STAND the smell of tuna anymore. Yogurt makes me gag. I used to love those things before.

Changes in sense of smell and taste are apparently pretty common, according to my surgeon. I do, however, enjoy the way some healthier foods taste and smell now. It just takes some getting used to to figure out what you can handle now. ❤️

It’s pretty common for foods you used to enjoy suddenly tasting terrible. I loved asparagus but post surgery it was disgusting. Don’t worry, your taste buds do return to normal in a few months. I’d didn’t experience the issue with smell but a lot of others have.

Don’t know why it happens though.

I can smell thinks pretty strongly especially eggs.

Also my sense of taste intensified with VSG but even further after RNY conversion. Almost everything is too salty or sweet from me. It's kind of annoying but I have learned to live with it.

Edited by GreenTealael

Well if seems to be dairy that i can't stand the taste or smell of. But milk is the exception to the craziness. I guess it will get better.

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

I haven't experienced it, but others here have talked about it so you're not the only one.

On 12/25/2020 at 6:39 AM, OAGBPal said:

I wonder if it’s a bypass thing?

I had a sleeve and I have the same reactions. I think it's just a change to your body chemistry from the surgery?

The same thing happened to me. There were foods I loved that I suddenly could not stand. I am almost 5 months out and my taste for some of these foods is coming back. Just ride it out and see how your body responds.

This happened to me as well. I’m 13 weeks post surgery and many things have come back smell wise. The only things I still can’t stand (which I used to love) is coffee brewing and eggs. Makes me want to gag. I’d say it took about 2 months or so before my sense of smell and taste came back.